Cheap Metro anyone? - Help needed please!

garycox

ahh yes.... check auto box fluid level...for the torque converter...under the bonnet somewhere near the radiator. If that's ok look at the vacuum pipe....it runs from manifold to balance valve on g/box. if that's split, holed etc there's your problem.

IIRC with my mates auto box one it shared the gearbox oil with the engine as it lives in the sump - i know he used to lose drive on hills when the oil was a bit low.Swapping to manual is not so involved - if you can get the entire drive train from another metro on the subframe then simply unbolt the one and exchange for the other - of course you need to swap the pedal box over too, dash pod (as the mechanism on the back of the oddometer is different) and the decorative bits round the gear lever (gaiter etc) - you also need to disable the starter inhibitor switch, though i think thats about it wiring loom changes ( oh reversing lamp needs wiring to the new switch on the box). I once helped out with a similar conversion on a Mini and it took just a day to swap all the bits over. Im racking my brains here trying to think of what else wiring wise I did, but i think that was it. Inhibitor, instrument binacle, reversing light.... Hmm, i might email Carl and get back to you...

Cheers, that would be helpful. I'm still hoping that the current gearbox can be saved though TBH.Is it loads more effort to separate the engine and gearbox and just swap the box? It's only done 20k y'see so I'd be reluctant to bin it unless it was absolutely necessary/a load more work.I hope it's the vacuum pipe or something silly...