Cheap Metro anyone? - Help needed please!

garycox

Considering the underwhelming response to the recent R25 offering, I don't expect much to come of this, but here goes...My mum has decided to replace her Metro with a newish Polo (2004/5 ish, anything to look out for?) and so her Metro has to go. It's a 1985 C reg, 3 door 1.3 Automatic.It's metallic blue with a grey interior. Bought new from Lex Rover (IIRC, it still has the original dealer stickers and number plates too) by my great aunt when her husband stopped driving. He then died in 1987, so it was stored in her garage and never used. My dad acquired it from her in 1996 with 1165 miles on the clock. It was used from 1996 to 2000 as our 'family car' becaue we only had that and an FD Ventora which was too thirsty/precious for everyday use. In 2000 my dad bought a Rover 400 which took over main car duties and the Metro was just used for taking the dog out, trips to the tip etc. Since 2005ish my mum has been using it to commute to work (probably about 10 miles a day) and to go shopping. It's now done 20,000 miles.It's not immaculate, there are quite a few little dents and imperfections, and some little bits of rust are starting to appear on the front valance and front wings. There are other little faults but nothing to worry about, I can supply a full list if anyone's interested but it's only niggly stuff.The tracking could do with adjusting, due to this it'll probably need 2 tyres for the next MOT. It's never been welded, never failed an MOT and never had an advisory as far as I'm aware. Oh, and the rear windows are covered in giffer-style stickers from various places of 'interest' and wildlife charities etc, although I'm sure these wouldn't be too difficult to remove. The tailgate is also adorned with some horribly inappropriate badges saying 'turbo' or something, might even be an MG badge on there. This is due to my dad being a bit wierd, but again, easy to rectify...So, the important stuff: 1275cc Auto, 20k, MOT til August, Tax til July-ish. She's been offered £250 on a part exchange, but I've warned her that it'll almost certainly be crusher-bound if she does that. I think it's worth saving and she would rather it was kept on the road so a sensible offer around £200 will secure it. Anybody interested?Pics will hopefully follow soon, but she doesn't have a digital camera so it's a case of take picture - get developed - post - scan... might take a while...

Bloody folocking shazbags, just when iv gone and bought a micra and used up my spare cash. :( Bumflakes.Unhelpfull I know -if onl you ha punted it a couple of weeks ago, arms ripped off and that sort of thing, Hey Ho. Hope it avoids the crusshertron.

Ah, the Weegie Museum of Transport, that car has definitely deteriorated over the many years it's been in there due to too many people brushing past it, I'm sure it still had the automatic badge when it was donated to them!

I've stood next to that Metro! (did I just say that?) it's about a mile from where I'm sitting right now! There's also a totally fabulous Renault 8 Gordini there and a 2CV Special that according to my DVLA check was only used on the road for a couple of years before going into the museum! They also have some proper shite besides the Metro such as a Talbot Sunbeam (made in Glasgow in Linwood) and a Capri Mk1 among others. I always admire the fact that they chose to exhibit such run of the mill grot along side all the E types and Such. There's also an XR3i that is an exhibit of a 'cut 'n shut' with all the dodgy joins focused on. Carries a banner with "would you buy this car" or somesuch.. not been there for yonks..

Anyone know how easy it would be to fit an auto choke?

Probably more hassle than its worth. This time of year it can take a few minutes to get started, and I tend to drive with it about 1/2 inch out all the time after setting off. In summer hardly needed at all apart from occasional starting.

I am guessing Mrs P.Monium is another of those who fear the choke. I suppose that probably most of the motorists who have started driving in the last 10-20 years have little or no knowledge of a manual choke. Certainly Mrs_Pog cannot fathom the concept of not just turning the key.... to my knowledge she's only driven one car with a manual choke in 13 years of driving, that being my old 205 which led to comedic kangarooing and a swear never to touch such devices again. :lol:

Certainly Mrs_Pog cannot fathom the concept of not just turning the key.... to my knowledge she's only driven one car with a manual choke in 13 years of driving, that being my old 205 which led to comedic kangarooing and a swear never to touch such devices again. :lol:

Autoshiteous familious: "Hey, you do know you have to use the choke don't you?!" :shock:Bornyesterdayous ignoramious: "Say what??" :?

Certainly Mrs_Pog cannot fathom the concept of not just turning the key....

Using a key to enter/start the car is a concept that'll no doubt have largely died out a few years from now!

Guest greenvanman

Certainly Mrs_Pog cannot fathom the concept of not just turning the key....

Using a key to enter/start the car is a concept that'll no doubt have largely died out a few years from now!
Yes, I've already owned one or two motors that boasted 'keyless entry' amongst their list of features :lol:

I am guessing Mrs P.Monium is another of those who fear the choke. I suppose that probably most of the motorists who have started driving in the last 10-20 years have little or no knowledge of a manual choke.

Not 'alf. I bought my first car on eBay in 2006. The seller delivered it and got me to sit in it and check it out before he left. I sat in the drivers seat, clocked the choke control and thanked God the engine was warm because I didn't have a clue what to do with that little lever.

If I had a quid for everytie I forgot to lock the doors..... :roll:

I never lock the doors on my shite, far rather some little turd NOT screwdriver the door lock or put the window through to discover there is feck all worth nicking in the car. Mind you i appreciate that you crry round more stuff in your car than i do, the worst thing I ever had nicked was some sharps bins and two gross of assorted fruit flavoured condoms whilst working in Moss Side (Leyland), the police were pissing themselves :roll:

The choke is a male thing. We 'get' it. It's as close as you can get to tinkering with the engine whilst moving - finely adjusting the mixture until the slight hesitation or rich running that possibly existed only in your mind has gone. It's like having a little gnome under the bonnet turning your mixture screws for you. Bliss.I've had a couple of manual choke cars and find them perfectly acceptable, although the auto choke stuff (even the old aircooled VW stuff) has always worked flawlessly too. The only one I've had trouble with was my twin-webered fastback, as the choke has been rigged up with a bike brake cable, some cable-ties and meccano and is a bit hit and miss.

I tend to drive with it about 1/2 inch out all the time

I say, ding dong! Fnar fnar! Blimey! etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I've been informed that my mum now has a new car (Peugeot 206 :roll: ), so she wants rid of this. I'm temporarily not offering it for sale at the moment though because a) my dad says there's a gearbox problem, and B) I'd quite like it for myself...Apparently the problem is that it revs a lot and is sometimes very reluctant to change up. Is this likely to be a serious problem with the actual gearbox or might it be something else?And if the gearbox is knackered, how difficult is it to fit another one? Ideally a manual, but another auto would do if it's much easier to fit...I really don't want to see this car scrapped!Any advice would be much appreciated...