Volvo - ROFFLE! - What next?

dollywobbler

The story begins some weeks ago, when a free Volvo 740 was flagged up via a Facebook group. Naturally, it found its way to the Scotoshite page, where it caused much excitement.

12193798_10156141811140580_3322871629847

Myself and CMS entered into a friendly debate about nabbing it but the trail went cold. We both contacted the seller, but no contact. CMS played with rubber bands while I just felt disappointed. Story is, the owner had sadly passed away, and his son was trying to find it a new home. For whatever reason, I got contacted recently and yes, it was still available. Emails and messages were swapped and I agreed to have it.

The Volvo is in Hertfordshire. This is about 200 miles away. The initial plan was that I would drive over in the Nippa, as Mrs DW is heading to Leicestershire tomorrow. I wasn't hugely keen on this as the Nippa is fun for about 20 miles, and then not much fun at all. It's just a bit small. Then a better plan presented itself when a cheap Volvo cropped up in Haverfordwest. One P. Andamonium asked whether anyone could collect it and get it closer to Essex and himself. Well, this just seemed too good to be true!

Panda's Volvo looks like this.

12299217_873635499417128_103748375260284

Always a bit worrying when the photo is taken quite so far away... but it's a 940 Turbo. Nice. It has taken some sorting, but we're there now. Both cars are insured. Both cars will be taxed. We're still trying to work out the logistics at the England end of things. If there's anyone living in Herts, you may be able to assist!

My long, long day begins early tomorrow with a blagged lift into town. Then it's three hours (!) on a bus to Haverfordwest...

I love it when a plan comes together! Im intrigued by the 740- looks to be an estate from the roof rails, perhaps a caravan club badge on thr grille, but what colour is/ was it? Looks throughly Leonard hatred-ed. Looking forward to live updates!

I reckon the colour is Blue Green Met. Could be a GL or SE hard to tell from that shot.

740GL estate in what was probably once blue green metallic.

Manual or Auto?

Sorry to say the 2 Ltr cars were rather sluggish neither a nice revver or a wall of torque, they were a tax break cars when company car tax was based on engine size and prior to that GL's used a 2.3 carb engine that had much more torque.

That looks decent for a freebie, low mileage and good MOT history.

If it's a manual would it have the 4+OD 'box?

Quite! I couldn't really give a monkeys if it's a bit sluggish at the asking price of nowt. It'll still out accelerate a 2CV. No idea on the gearbox. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

We're still a little bit stuck on Volvo handover. Panda can't meet me when I need to be collecting the Volvo, so that leaves me stuck 200 miles away from home with two Volvos. 

Quite! I couldn't really give a monkeys if it's a bit sluggish at the asking price of nowt. It'll still out accelerate a 2CV. No idea on the gearbox. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

We're still a little bit stuck on Volvo handover. Panda can't meet me when I need to be collecting the Volvo, so that leaves me stuck 200 miles away from home with two Volvos.

Sorry, not meaning to belittle your fine Volvo 740 in my favourite colour for them, just my personal road test report from 1987!

Put a series of faults on it (rearrange plug leads, disconnect coil, clamp on fuel line etc) to stop it getting nicked if they find the keys

For added fun, don't let on what the faults are. It'll be like a gameshow, where the prize is a Volvo.

Bring it on, I love a good puzzle.

I love early 740s and, equally, the lengths shiters will go to to get a car they don't need for nowt. Never thought the 2.0i was all that slow in my old 240. It could hold decent drifts but that was down to the fact that the tyres were absolutely shit and I drove it like a twat because young