Regarder Xantia tombola - Tickets £6 ou 3 pour £15

The Moog

Congrats on re-acquiring the Citroen!

Things are moving so fast on here with cars swapping and changing hands. Is Eddy actually a chod dealer!?

Couldn't agree more. Preferably one older than Bob's two though. 70s would be ideal. VA, how do you fancy a road trip to see Dan and his Mercury?

All are welcome. We could make an event around it! Just as soon as I get it back.

I will get a pic or better yet a video of Eddy driving it!

We'd need X3's Bentley in attendance too.

Sorry bit delayed in updating.

Got back at 4 45 so dashed into my local Citroen mechanic. Got it booked in for MOT on Tuesday.

First thoughts are it isn't a 405! Smooth ride is lovely and wafty a definite improvement on what I remember.

Revs completely like a petrol but at the expense of fuel. 1/4 tank did 80 odd miles at 70mph. That's not good. Will need to work out how to improve that. No point having the downside of diesel if you can't have upsides.

Definitely quicker. Coming from focus (with rock hard seats) and the saab ( just lovely) it was OK but could do with slightly better cruising gearing.

The reason I got rid was that it had no soul. Even with the love of Vulg, the tweaks by chompy it still lacks a soul, it really is a tool. Capable, competent And does the job.

As it stands it will get MOT and be a stop gap until I get something else in the new year.

Big thanks to Eddy for helping me out of a spot.

Question for dizzlerists - to improve mpg can I just adjust the fuel screw?

Very interested in the Xantia mpg scenario. I swear mine should do a whole lot better, but not sure if it really is just down to my loud pedal abuses.  Even then though, I'm no boy racer.....

I may or may not have just acquired 3 points on my license since owning it...

It has failed MOT on emissions and a link bar. 

Garage is going to thrash it on motorway and then get it through the emissions. Link bar replaced.  

He checked discs and pads and said they are like new so dont need replacing. 

That's great, hopefully an Italian tune-up is all it needs. I am surprised when diesels fail emissions tests, because one of the smokiest diesels ever, my 940 TD, passed it no bother.

"I really miss the ride of it, loping along effortlessly like it does is something quite special."
Ahhh.... You need to try an American car!
No, honestly. You do!

The Xantia has a loping ride and decent handling though, not one at the expense of the other. ;)

Not sure about the soulless comments, they suffer a bit from having a boring interior and quite straight laced exterior styling compared with the aggressively ugly BX but they're great cars. First or second or third dibs on this when you come to re-sell it, I don't think you should because it must be one of the better Xantia estates left and it must be better than most cars you've owned recently.

MPG isn't great from the XUD, the AA managed only 43MPG average from a saloon, while a Cavalier TD averages 51MPG. The Cavalier has quite a gentle turbo delivery and doesn't encourage hooning, maybe that's the reason.

There is potential for good MPG, people who've tuned XUDs with variable nozzle turbos have noticed MPG go up to over 50MPG from 40ish when not using all of the performance, it's just not a particularly efficient engine in standard form. I have seen 50MPG+ out of a 405 TD estate, but that was taking it really easy.

Revs completely like a petrol but at the expense of fuel. 1/4 tank did 80 odd miles at 70mph. That's not good. Will need to work out how to improve that. No point having the downside of diesel if you can't have upsides.

As it stands it will get MOT and be a stop gap until I get something else in the new year.

Might have to get to Costco to get some veg to make it more palatable

NO NO NO YOUR DOING IT RONG!!!

Cabbage Juice available on request, at 50p/L

I'm looking for a new bulk veg customer after Chompy has ceased transferring the entirity of his bank account to me every fortnight - having him trailing about the country at 35MPGs made for good custom.

I had 1000L of veg delivered last week to filter, so I have plenty in stock!

I can deliver to you if you like Will, I am local to you. If you have some storage barrels we can pour my oil into I'll pop over sometime. I can bring as much as you like!

Its good stuff, centrifuged and de-watered.

I can even sort you out with a standard LDA pin rather than the ground one you have - a straight swap would be beneficial for you as it would improve your MPG.

Let me know.

07874 two three two 837

Where do you get your oil from? I have a good source from a home biodiesel producer who has a massive surplus.

Waste vegetable oil is a pain in the arse to deal with when it's cold and you have a simple setup like me, currently waiting for a wheelie bin full of waste veg mixed with petrol to settle, I have a filter sock cleaning in the washing machine while Ms_Peel is at work.

I think if failed due to smoke, which with the boost turned up it does until warm!

£140 lighter but now got a ticket for the year. To celebrate the Blower and HRW have stopped working. Any ideas?

Might take you up on that E-C. I don't have any storage vessels though at moment.

Driving it tonight the reason i dont love it is because you sit on the xantia whilst you sit in the 405. The chassis feedback on the 405 was vastly superior with a fair amount of decent damping.

Blower and Heated Rear Screen failure points at ignition switch, it's a text book issue and one that was highlighted to me during my ownership.  It was intermittent as an issue when I had it and then fixed itself before it went to Chompy so I never investigate fixing it since it was a self-repairing car.

Glad to hear it has another year's ticket on it and with so little to sort for it too.  Any advisories?