Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My stuff: Fault finding successful. Sonic has indicators again.

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 906 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

Have you got a link for that solar panel please Tickman. It looks like the kind of mod I should be considering.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272281867335

Then a big sheet of souble sided tape (the full size of the panel) and a charge controller all off ebay.

I bought £20 worth of 4 core cable today (10 meters) that is actually for solar stuff.

1968 Morris Minor 1000

1957 Morris Minor 1000

1968 Land Rover 

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1

1998 Volvo 940

1972 Triumph Toledo

1986 Talbot Express Camper

#152 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 906 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

Not been near the camper for a couple of days and usually it would have lost enough electricity to do the engine turns over slower and slower routine, however today thanks to Mr Sun and a few people in China (may have been others involved) the battery was full of electricity and the van just started quicker than it ever has done.

Chuffed with that I set about finding the cause of the not functioning indicators on Sonic (Triumph Toledo)

I had a circuit diagram, multi meter, test lamp and a power probe.

After studying the circuit diagram I finally figured out the power all comes through the relay, with the multi meter I was getting 12 volts (or 14 if the car was running) so that seemed fine. Next I used the power probe to supply power and earth to the relay, then my indicators worked. Everyone I had mentioned the problem to said it would be a dodgy earth and I can confirm that it was not a dodgy earth.

Using the test lamp on the supply and earth of the relay it would not light, I was getting enough for the multi meter to read 12 volts but not enough power for the lamp. I traced the green wire and it went straight to the fuse box.

I cleaned up all the connections in the fuse box and I now have indicators again.

This is the first time I have successfully fault found on a car (without just swapping parts) so I am mighty happy now.

None of this would have been possible without two specific items.

First the power probe:

IMG_20170705_1419151.jpg

If you don't have one and do any electrical work just buy one.

Secondly the home made (not my home) test lamp:

IMG_20170705_1419001.jpg

Yes it is a bulb inside a syringe, it came with Gwen the Morris Minor along with lots of other home made things.

Now I'm off out to drive Sonic.

• Heidel_Kakao, The Moog and Supernaut like this

1968 Morris Minor 1000

1957 Morris Minor 1000

1968 Land Rover 

1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1

1998 Volvo 940

1972 Triumph Toledo

1986 Talbot Express Camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users