Not been near the camper for a couple of days and usually it would have lost enough electricity to do the engine turns over slower and slower routine, however today thanks to Mr Sun and a few people in China (may have been others involved) the battery was full of electricity and the van just started quicker than it ever has done.
Chuffed with that I set about finding the cause of the not functioning indicators on Sonic (Triumph Toledo)
I had a circuit diagram, multi meter, test lamp and a power probe.
After studying the circuit diagram I finally figured out the power all comes through the relay, with the multi meter I was getting 12 volts (or 14 if the car was running) so that seemed fine. Next I used the power probe to supply power and earth to the relay, then my indicators worked. Everyone I had mentioned the problem to said it would be a dodgy earth and I can confirm that it was not a dodgy earth.
Using the test lamp on the supply and earth of the relay it would not light, I was getting enough for the multi meter to read 12 volts but not enough power for the lamp. I traced the green wire and it went straight to the fuse box.
I cleaned up all the connections in the fuse box and I now have indicators again.
This is the first time I have successfully fault found on a car (without just swapping parts) so I am mighty happy now.
None of this would have been possible without two specific items.
First the power probe:
If you don't have one and do any electrical work just buy one.
Secondly the home made (not my home) test lamp:
Yes it is a bulb inside a syringe, it came with Gwen the Morris Minor along with lots of other home made things.
Now I'm off out to drive Sonic.