Tickman's stuff. Back to doing bits.

Tickman

I've just checked the kerb weight of the Audi-1720kg  :shock:

Still, could see one of these being useful for the rest of the fleet-the ability to get stuff in the air quickly and securely would definitely* make me more likely to do maintenance.

I've been tinkering with one of the Minors, yesterday was the diagnosis of all the wheel cylinders needing replaced so they were ordered. 

Today was a quick peak at the wiring to see why the ignition light is constantly on when a battery is connected.

Best guess without pulling apart is a failed ignition switch so more playing Thursday. If anyone can think of any thing else that might cause this please shout up so I can look at other possible issues.

Check continuity across the switch with the feed disconnected to ascertain if it is faulty or not. With the switch in the 'off' position re-connect the feed, replace the battery and test the switch output with a meter connected between output and earth to double check. Voltage regulator contacts may be sticking or maladjusted.

Smearing red rubber grease around the wheel cylinder piston prevents sticking and premature failure. I do this with all my brake hydraulics now. Also Girling green grease on any sliding backplates and brake adjusters is beneficial.

Must get off my arse and sort mine out.   Only excuse its cold out....but your workshop doesn't look much warmer!

I was putting it off the other day and went out to the garage to get the padded overalls I bought from Lidl several years ago.

First grin was they still fitted, mostly, the second was I was boiling after 10 minutes and took my hat off to cool a little.

Today was a quick peak at the wiring to see why the ignition light is constantly on when a battery is connected.

probably teaching "granny to suck eggs"

ignition light on is most likely to be a regulator fault, 

If you have fitted an alternator then one wire will be for the ignition light. a fault with the diode pack on the alternator will allow current from the battery to flow through iirc

If you have the dynamo still then the regulator box will be fitted to the drivers side of the engine bay bulkhead. there may be a fault within

easy enough to check continuity through the ignition switch is boken when in off position

wish I had your workshop

Today I was bleeding the brakes, I have just ordered a master cylinder...

Steering rack gaiters also ordered as they are fucked.

Tested the ignition switch and that is working properly, stripped and cleaned the fuel pump and that is now working with a power probe but not the ignition being on. I will have to get my head around the wiring bit but it will be Monday before that is looked at.

As a pick me up I did get it running and it reminded me I have to fit the water pump that I have!

fuxstix.........

on the other hand - £50 and an iphone4 fella - can't make it over for 2weeks though due to 'being away'

I don't think there is an unmarked panel on the car, either scratched or dented so it fits right in really. I have just added it to the very long list of things wrong with the car that will not get fixed.

A little bit of time spent on the Minor today with faultfinding the permanent live to everything.

After ruling out the ignition switch the last time I started with the wiring diagram. 

Then the fuse box.

post-17457-0-27588700-1516198204_thumb.jpg

Broken fuse was some how bridging from the switched to permanent sides of the fuse box!

With that solved I looked at the fuel pump which only seems to want to pump when power is applied in an on/off manner with the power probe and not when left powered.

Not sure what the issue there is but I am sure I have a spare somewhere that I can substitute when if I can find it!

My Master cylinder has finally arrived (spoiled by the previous very speedy delivery) today but I will save that joy for the next installment which might occur tomorrow morning, but more than likely not!

Could be short circuit in the points on the pump - fine with intermittent but not constant feed.   Might be worth having a look at the contacts (or whanging another one on!)   

There is a flow rate test you can do with a milk bottle or summat but I can't remember what the recommended volume per second is!

More with the 1957 Minor, having the workshop is great but I didn't have it when this arrived so it is at home in the garage with the very narrow access. It is just wide enough to get the Minor in but not really to work on it so it gets pushed out for working on.

post-17457-0-06799700-1516379890_thumb.jpg

These arrived so the Master cylinder was fitted.

post-17457-0-07229000-1516379899_thumb.jpg

I had tried bleeding them on my own but that was unsuccessful so today I got a helping hand, unfortunately the weather wasn't the warmest. Still carried on.

post-17457-0-42006600-1516379917_thumb.jpg

This has been my safe method of powering it while testing everything.

post-17457-0-41894200-1516379930_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I had found an old spare fuel pump so had that in bits as it behaved the same as the one on the car. After putting it back together and sorting a poor connection it now works so got fitted. I did some function checks and the lights work, indicators also join in and the horn has a healthy beep.

post-17457-0-08117500-1516379942_thumb.jpg

I nipped out to get a battery I had elsewhere. With the fresh snow and the only snow we have had so far I took the sure fotted MX5 and had a little fun. I drew a few lines on the ground when leaving.

post-17457-0-46516800-1516379960_thumb.jpg

Home and battery fitted. I need some connectors as the ones currently on the car are round and the way they are tichtened is the screw through the middle.

I got the car running properly now it has fuel and power supplied at the same time. It seems quite happy when up to temperature. It tries to stall even with the choke out when first started so revs have to be kept quite high. That I can live with for now.

Overall a successful day.