53 plate Jaguar S Type 3 litre V6, not Sweeney, Mike Hawthorn

garethj

First registered in September 2003 so a 2004 facelift model Jaguar S Type, 3 litre V6 petrol with the 6 speed automatic gearbox.  Looks wonderful in black with cream leather seats, heated in the front with electric adjustment and two memory settings.

This has got almost all the factory options; cruise control, satnav (with recent disc), 6 disc CD changer, automatic headlights, dual zone aircon and it all works perfectly.  It doesn't leak water in (not even through the boot, unlike most) and is a fantastic drive.  About 18 months ago it had a new battery, alternator and aircon compressor plus loads of work to fix a battery drain and has done several trips to Europe with the family and of course it's incredibly comfortable.  MoT is until April 2016.

We've owned this for just over 3 years and only getting a job further away forces the sale, you can beat 30mpg on a run but 25 is more usual through traffic.  The front tyres will need replacing soon but otherwise it's ready for any long journey you want, it even makes a commute to work more relaxing.

Viewing in Flitwick, Bedfordshire.  It's on ebay so I'm expecting offers of an XBOX or a Zafira with half an hour's test.  What I'd really like is £1500, too rich for a roffle I think.

IMG_20151120_212333_zpsqpoqukwb.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsqgn1v5hg.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsp97pu6q7.jpg

IMG_20151120_212049_zpsxuqiolwg.jpg

IMG_20151120_211928_zpsodfg57rw.jpg

DSC_0017_zpss7psrpow.jpg

DSC_0018_zpslkpicqwv.jpg

IMG_20151120_212138_zpst3v0nylq.jpg

IMG_20151120_212221_zps12ohpozq.jpg

I can't afford it and I'm basically a virtual tyre-kicker, but what does it sound like if you take it to the redline? Does it make a mega ripping-cloth noise or is it just really muted and composed?

It does look really nice and well done (presumably) sorting out the yellowing lenses on the headlights - so many have gone all horrible and just brings the tone down on an otherwise handsome car.

GLWTS

It's got a bit of a growl when you thrash it, but it's before Jaguar started putting all kinds of valves in the exhaust to make it deliberately pop so it's still pretty quiet.  The embarrassing truth is that I rarely give it the beans because it makes you want to drive sedately.  I've never let people out of junctions so often as when I've driven this.

If the transport police gave everyone a pet cat or dog (according to preference) to stroke before the journey and a Jaguar to waft around in, road rage would be cut completely overnight.

I think it's the 5 speeds that are flaky, the 6 speed is better although most trouble comes from the "sealed for life" crap.  If there's any signs of slipping, not changing properly or any of that stuff, give it a fluid change.

This one is so smooth that the only way to tell when it's going from 5th to 6th is to watch the revcounter.

nice, even nicer to learn that i'm not the only person who likes these.

a friend who loves everything that comes from the land of the fiendish hun, would aways twitter on how these are a lincoln in a pretty frock, which was abit rich as his beloved Aldi of course is in no way related to a fucking golf....

S-Type is on my revised bucket list (now that I've ticked "V8" and "Lexus" off it), but as I've just spent six months arsing about in said Lexus and I've just spent a large sum on a long-term car, all I can give you is a free bump and the knowledge that I am envious of you for simply having owned that.

Buy my 800 then. It's a poor (and blind) man's Jag.

Rover 800 is great but I would only get support from Mrs Cyl for a V6 Coupe!

Then there is the where to keep it, I need to only buy cars that have there own garages included!

I keep saying we have reached our limit and one word of encouragement from Mrs Cyl and there another one!

My friends keep saying sell some but I am not sure what that phrase means!

It's all shaping up well for the auction finishing on Saturday, I've been contacted by some very very strange people with a variety of sob stories, none of whom can afford to buy a car.

I might have a few drinks on Saturday night so when I get contacted by the eventual winner I'll be less inhibited with my replies.