So what can £100 get you? Contains DEAD BMW

Ben_O

Right, where was I?

I have fitted the new rear tyres. I ended up with Runway Enduro's at £25 a pop and to be fair, they are plenty grippy and I know the quality is good because I have had the same ones on my Renault for the past 2 years.

The handbrake issue turned out to be the shoes on one side. They had run down to metal so a new set were ordered for £11 and are being fitted tomorrow.

As you may remember, one of the front lower rear bushes had failed the MOT. I ordered a new one and when I went to fit it, I noticed that there was some minimal play in the other so I decided to replace them as a pair.

Ill tell you what, the £50 and 40 minute struggle was well and truly worth it. It has transformed the car and now makes me smile when driving it as it now handles so well.

It has brought to light another knocking now however which ill look into tomorrow.

The control box thing that has caused the now dicky central locking needs to be repaired. I have been told about a company that is actually only a mile from my house that can repair it so I need to call them for a price.

Providing all goes to plan, the car will have a fresh ticket on it tomorrow and can go on the road for the 1st November.

I still need to sort the heater blower but I have been given a brand new FSR to fit so that's pretty good.

I think I might well replace the front tyres too afterall as despite them being premium ones and having a few thousand miles left in them, they do look quite tired (no pun intended)

Cheers

Ben

Actually yeah! Not too bad.

I youtubed it to get an idea of where it was and what needed to come out and the guy in the video said it took him about 3 hours.

I did mine start to finish in less than 20 mins.

I reclined the seat back flat and laid upside down in the footwell with my legs either side of the headrest (once the trims were out) and got it sorted.

I think the worst bit was re-connecting the solenoid rod back with the stupid clip.

Sadly, the A/c isn't getting cold so that will need recharging I expect.

• 3 weeks later...

At last

CoeCdqz.png

I even pushed the boat out and done all of the advisories. Well except the screen. I'm not made of money :lol:

I ended up fitting a pair of lovely new rear shocks and doing the front tyres too so it's all good and drives and handles like an absolute dream now.

Just need to sort the GM5 module now so I can lock it...

this car has been driving me crazy these past few days.

I haven't gotton around to sorting the dicky central locking yet so i just leave it unlocked.

However, more and more, whenever i get out of the car and shut the door, the windows roll down as i start to walk away and the only way i can get them to go back up is to press and hold the lock button on the key which of course locks the doors and then they won't unlock again without lots of swearing and button pushing which usually results in the windows rolling back down again. grrrrr.

I had a read up on what I could disconnect to stop it happening and there was mention of fuses but this is no good as it stops the windows working too.

In the end, i read about dodgy door lock actuators and i started to suspect mine. The key hole on the drivers door just turns freely either way without any resistance so that is broken and from what i read, the central locking and windows can go bananas if the car doesn't know what position the lock barrel is in.

What I ended up doing is disconnecting the door lock actuator on the drivers door and the problem seems to have gone away. The central locking now works apart from the drivers door and the windows have stopped going down on their own.

Fingers crossed this was the issue.

I'm still having trouble with unlocking so could still partially be GM5 but it could also be the fob as 2-3 presses of the unlock button will unlock the doors.

I think ill run it for a few days and if the problem is gone, ill just get a new actuator.

Any thoughts?

Take the lock barrel out, and activate the lock with a flat blade screwdriver. See if it locks/unlocks. You might* set the alarm off. That's a siren of about 0329823847560000 decibels that lives behind the removable rear bulkhead panel.

Really you need to get the lock barrel fixed. Either a repair kit (an absolute cunt to fit) or another one with a key. The actuator does need it to be there and working so it can reference itself.

I love E46's, I really do. :lol:

• 2 months later...