Readers Current Shites

The current fleet in chronological order (small pics to keep post size sensible!) Some work, some don't. The R15's, the red Cherry and probably the Terrano will be going this year but the rest are keepers. The blue Cherry may end up getting the chop for rebuilding my ever so rusty cherry Europe but I don't really want to as it's a mega early one. I'll probably part with the Pony pickup in a few months too.

1989 Nissan Terrano R3M 2.7 Turbo Diesel

Posted Image

I think that's it at the moment...

Hey Ratdat, keep me informed about yr Terrano, I have a new job, a boring car, and a strong urge for something very different!

Here's my current shite:

1972 VW Fastback, I picked this up last week for 300 quid, needs an engine and a few small patches.

Posted Image

My daily, and i love it, MX6

Posted Image

My baby, 1972 Datsun 1200 Estate. The only one on the road in the UK. Currently awaiting a turbo engine..

Posted Image

W123 Merc 200 auto. Awaiting new rear arches.

Posted Image

Sentimental shite, this was my grandads from new and my first car. I had it for 4 years and then sold it as it was pretty shagged, immediately regretted it and spent the next 5 years trying to buy it back. Had it back 2 years now, awaiting a full on resto. I'm not letting it go again!

Posted Image

My other Datsun 1200 estate. Looks worse than it is. Barned as spares for the blue one

Posted Image

Mitsubishi Celeste - rusty as a rusty thing. Part way through regeneration

Posted Image

1971 VW beetle wizard roadster. Looks nice, but the heater channels are rotten. Donating engine to fastback. I'll miss this one, taught me lots of spanner skills.

Posted Image

Mazda B1800 pickup. Rotten. seemed to be constructed of coke tins rivetted on and covered with filler. Languishing in a field awaiting fate.

Posted Image

Mini

Posted Image

TREDIA!!!!!!!

Posted Image

Think that's it!

*edit*

Forgot one! Van. Getting ready for mot and scene tax rebate

Posted Image

Shit the bed henna that is bloody nice, thought I recognised the plate. Liking the silver one too.

Me? I'm currently the keeper of this collection

Mercedes 190e 2.6, smoother than Roger Moore in a vat of molyslip. Constantly stinks of burning oil and the pinion bearing is louder than the engine. Some fuckwit stole the badge off it last night-a week after someone stole all my tools out of the boot :cry:

Posted Image

BMW E30 325i Sport 1988, I owned this before and sold it about seven years ago after getting pissed off with it one day. Regretted it ever since so tracked it down and bought it back, I wouldn't say it was in a sorry state so much as 'fucked'. Done loads to it and it has some ultra-rare optional extras....and air-con. My baby. (pic taken years ago)

Posted Image

1995 Mini Cooper, always wanted one in tahiti blue with burr walnut and black leather, cost me nothing through wheeler dealing, needs bodywork but no where near as much as most. A Keeper

Posted Image

1994 Honda Accord Areodeck Auto, bloody love this, bought to drive me 3000 miles across europe which it did without fail within a week of buying it, VERY comfortable with all the option boxes ticked when new. Stank of wet dog when I bought it.

Posted Image

BMW E36 M3, 1994 3.0, always feels like you're driving as opposed to being driven. Does everything well but I'm often found behind the wheel of something more shite.

Posted Image

VW 'bay window' camper from 1975, LHD and actually a microbus so no fitted cabinets in rear and bench seat up front, achieved an ambition to drive one around Cornwall last year and didn't let me down once! Has to be sold though :cry:

Posted Image

1989 VW T25 or T3 if you will, AutoSleeper conversion with Propex heating and all the extras, just got into this carry-on camping lark as I hate flying so bought this to 'placate the missus' porta-loo is a big no-no in my book. This is a 1.9 water-cooled 'wasser-boxer' and I was suprised just how refined these are for an old van.

Posted Image

Very jealous of all these collections.. fantastic!What happened to the shab-tastic 304 Wuvvum?

I sold it in the end when the tax ran out, which more or less coincided with me moving house and having to cut down the fleet. Don't know if it will have survived the Great Scrap Price Madness of last summer as it needed quite a bit of welding in some rather awkward places. It also began to refuse to start on the key, which meant it had to be bump started which was a pain. It was a great little car while I had it though. Might have to have a punt on that 504 estate on the Bay - interior is the spit of the 304's.

Wow, that red one is a beauty. I'm not a huge fan of BMW's in general but that's one of the cleanest and most timeless shapes they've produced IMO. After that the bloat set in for the 3 series.

Hey hey now!!!I do take your point though, the E36 I have is nowhere near as 'driveable' as the E30's that preceeded it. The edge has been blunted. Doubtless if I had a fierce one, like an M3 it would be there. That said it is much less twitchy, much quieter and easier to live with, which suits me right now. The E30's were always toys, the E36 has to earn it's keep, so I guess it's a fair trade.

I suspected there would be some spectacular contributions here. Imagine a show with even 25% of these honeys?

Here are my current bits and pieces. My collection has been static for a while now, possibly due to the fact I'm quite happy with what I have. Infact I was speaking to Ratdat about the lack of expansion of my purchases recently - 2008 was the first year since I passed my test in 1991 that I hadn't bought a car....although I have to say I would seriously consider another older french car - perhaps a Citroen GS, Pug 504 or R16.

Start with the mundane first.

Posted Image

I bought this about a year ago really to deal with my regular journeys from Newcastle to Southampton. It has proved itself to be a painless, frugal and not unpleasurable experience but is very much an appliance. I have just treated it to some ATS Classics though.

Posted Image

I bought this car in 2001, and is by far the longest I've ever owned a car. Until I got the Panda, it was used for the afore mentioned journey - not the ideal car to do it in. Its now awaiting a head gasket and cam belt change, but considering I've done over 80k in it, its been relatively trouble free and is still a hoot to drive. A keeper.

Posted Image

My 4th Datsun 100A - Again I've had this for a while - I bought it off a gentleman who owned it since 1977. It was stood up for a few years in his garage after the death of his wife but brought back into life when I bought it in 2002. It had 18K on the clock, I loved driving it and I think I've added another 20K. Currently in storage and will definately be rewarded with a respray and semi resto when some pennies come available. The dollyburd has nothing to do with me unfortunately.

Posted Image

I've been after one of these Toyota Carinas since I was young, and the opportunity came up in 2005. I stored it for 2 years, and thanks to non forum member Joncedric, it was recommisioned to life last year. Currently my 2nd car.

Posted Image

Another car with joncedric involvement, he found this car in Portsmouth (usual elderly owner etc) and sold it to me late 2007. Another keeper, as its highly unlikely that I'll ever get such an original complete UK spec Datsun 510. Plans? Let me finish paying the man and I'll make some.

The Sunny pickup is based on the B110 Sunny (model before the 120Y) which came out in 1970. The pickup version was made from 1972 up until January last year. Since 1996 production was only in South Africa which is where mine came from.

So these were available in Europe up until 96? Were any pickups based on later Sunny models or was it in the same mould as the Peugeot 504 & valiantly stood firm as the only pickup model in it's bloodline? (although in the case of the 504 it was Peugeot's only pickup full stop during it's time. Unless it overlapped with the 404)

The Sunny pickup is based on the B110 Sunny (model before the 120Y) which came out in 1970. The pickup version was made from 1972 up until January last year. Since 1996 production was only in South Africa which is where mine came from.

So these were available in Europe up until 96? Were any pickups based on later Sunny models or was it in the same mould as the Peugeot 504 & valiantly stood firm as the only pickup model in it's bloodline? (although in the case of the 504 it was Peugeot's only pickup full stop during it's time. Unless it overlapped with the 404)
Before the pickup I have came out there was a pickup version of the first generation Sunny, the B10 which was sold here as the Datsun 1000. The pickup version was called a B20 and looked like this...

Posted Image

That ran from 1966 until 1972 when the one like mine superceded it. Mine is a B120 (the Sunny it's based on is a B110). The B120 then ran right through the production of all subsequent Sunnys and there were no pickup varients of the later Sunnys. Nissan did have loads of other pickups in their range but the B120 was always the smallest. There was also a long wheelbase version produced which looks a bit odd. There was briefly a Micra pickup but I think it was only sold in Taiwan by Yulon. The B120 wasn't officially sold in Northern Europe as far as I know, although Greece certainly got some. The Early B20 pickup was sold in Denmark but I'd be surprised if there's any left.

First is my Triumph 1300 that I've had since 1994, the only non-Japanese car in my fleet at the moment!

Posted Image

My pride and joy, 1968 Datsun 1000 which was a Nissan press car and the only 1000 saloon left in the UK:

Posted Image

Posted Image

My 1974 Datsun Violet, the coolest car I own!

Posted Image

My B11 Sunny, a lovely little car currently keeping out of the salt:

Posted Image

Daily driver in winter is this fab ex-Spottedlaurel Accord with all the toys. Must get some decent up to date pics soon.

Posted Image

Latest acquisition is ex-Ratdat Mazda 323 GT which I'll be taxing at beginning of March, looking forward to getting out in this one:

Posted Image

They used to have a few fairly youg-looking RHD sunny pickups at Dublin Airport! This was about 10 years ago. I remember thinking how cool they looked and how I could get one (no idea).

I'll wager they were imported from Japan. A lot of grey import stuff used to come in via Ireland. Funnily enough it's only quite recently that I've even heard of one in Ireland and that was a recent import.