Alfa 156 sportwagon 2.4 20v - now sold!

stripped fred

I need to sell this car in the next few weeks. I don't think it would sell on here for what i want so thought I would go the eBay route. I just can't decide the best way to list it? Classified ad, buy it now with best offer or an auction? It's a difficult car to value but has a full mot and I've spent a lot on it since I bought it in Jan 2013 so it has no real issues. What do you think? I don't really want it sitting round for weeks so a 7 day auction is the quickest route but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to put no reserve and of course I might get messed around.

I know :(. I hate selling cars. It's a pretty decent one too unlike some. I've got it booked in for an MOT as it runs out in Jan. I'll clean it up and get some decent photos for the ad but I'll also put it on here just in case someone is interested. Otherwise it might have to be a classified ad. I was also thinking of the best offer function but when I used that on anither car I accepted an offer and the person changed their mind 5 mins after so I had to relist it. There's no easy way is there!

Classified Ad, lots of pictures, offers only, 30-day, do accept people emailing, only accept offers after viewing. I list car model and then immediate usability/legality before describing - some car dealers say my listings are too long, but for those who don't want to read it all the "What is it? Can I drive it right now? Does it need anything doing?" trifecta means the rest is small print for the seriously interested. You either get "muppets who lowball everything hoping to buy from a mug" - which a lot of words generally discourages because can't brain - or you get serious buyers who will read it through and not piss you about.

Do NOT go with the "describe it as amazing to SELL the car" and then hope the buyer can spot the faults. That's a: shit when selling a car without the old AutoTrader limit of a handful of words, most of which are TLAs for PAS, EW and CL which we already know the bloody car should have anyway, and b: will get the chancers who think you're too thick to list the car so therefore can be told there's something really wrong with it and "this is the best offer you'll get bud".

Classified costs about £18, no final value fee, and no pissheads buying it thus ending the listing.

Never, ever list on eBay with a reserve. Either do £1/1p/whatever start and tough it out, or use BIN. Reserves put off buyers and cost you big money upfront.

Classified Ad, lots of pictures, offers only, 30-day, do accept people emailing, only accept offers after viewing. I list car model and then immediate usability/legality before describing - some car dealers say my listings are too long, but for those who don't want to read it all the "What is it? Can I drive it right now? Does it need anything doing?" trifecta means the rest is small print for the seriously interested. You either get "muppets who lowball everything hoping to buy from a mug" - which a lot of words generally discourages because can't brain - or you get serious buyers who will read it through and not piss you about.

Do NOT go with the "describe it as amazing to SELL the car" and then hope the buyer can spot the faults. That's a: shit when selling a car without the old AutoTrader limit of a handful of words, most of which are TLAs for PAS, EW and CL which we already know the bloody car should have anyway, and b: will get the chancers who think you're too thick to list the car so therefore can be told there's something really wrong with it and "this is the best offer you'll get bud".

Classified costs about £18, no final value fee, and no pissheads buying it thus ending the listing.

Never, ever list on eBay with a reserve. Either do £1/1p/whatever start and tough it out, or use BIN. Reserves put off buyers and cost you big money upfront.

Thanks for that. Just to clarify do you mean to include the 'best offer' function in the listing or only accept offers when someone is there to look at the car. Please forgive my stupidness...

Classified ad with offers.

You're in Leicester, right? Bring the car over with some cleaning supplies (I'm running low), we can wash & dry and I'll photograph and help with the listing if you want. Bring the paperwork and all keys to include in the images, owt relevant that would make YOU want the car more will also make others want it. At some point this weekend I need to collect the 406's new bootlid from Wales, but there will be time on one of the days and we can do this under cover if it's pissing down.

Or cheat and get a mate / relative / dexterous pet to put a bid in of what your reserve would have been had you set one.  Although obviously this also risks backfiring and leaving you lumbered with a final value fee.

Dont listen to RichardK. He just wants to steal all your identity and bury you in the woods.

The ONLY safe way to sell a car is to me, for £400.

All joking aside, do listen to what he says.  Personally, I wouldnt allow "offers" via ebay click button. As if you accept one, the listing ends and you have fees.  Invite offers upon viewing instead.

Dont listen to RichardK. He just wants to steal all your identity and bury you in the woods.

Damnit, man. Why. How the hell am I going to eat this Christmas? Where am I going to get leather from my lovely new facemask, and tallow for my candles. You spoil everything :(

I did this in August with my Eastern European Ringing Project. Otherwise known as a 59 plate 530d with a fucked engine.

I listed as BIN £4,000 or offers- I received about 30 offers ranging from £1500 up to £3900. The highest bidder never turned up so I Emailed a guy that offered £3750, he turned up and after a it of haggling gave me £3.5k. His mate picked it up the same day- job done.

I've just checked my eBay account and I owe them £8.09 which seems wholly reasonable, although as far as they now it didn't sell, just expired.

I cannot believe I am saying this.

Have you checked as to what webuyanycar would offer?

I would look at what the cars are selling for on ebay then see what they would offer.

I sold my vectra on ebay - low starting price of £1600 eventually it went for £2450 (it was mint) and I ended the auction early. Had mouthbreathers offering less than £1600 - thats the problem with tinterweb - people can make low ball offers so low they would'nt do it to your face for fear of you going back in the house.

I think you will have tossers making all kinds of offers if you put it on an an auction with no reserve.

Good luck.

Classified ad with offers.

You're in Leicester, right? Bring the car over with some cleaning supplies (I'm running low), we can wash & dry and I'll photograph and help with the listing if you want. Bring the paperwork and all keys to include in the images, owt relevant that would make YOU want the car more will also make others want it. At some point this weekend I need to collect the 406's new bootlid from Wales, but there will be time on one of the days and we can do this under cover if it's pissing down.

That's a kind offer. Might be tricky as i have to look after my two boys this weekend so I was going to work it round them. If I get it cleaned maybe you could help me with the rest? I'll pm you. Cheers.

Just to stop my skin itching. can you tell me its not a V6 and give a ballpark indication of value so I can relax?

No it's the 175bhp 2.4 20v engine. It's had a remap though so 200+. 2005 facelift sportwagon in veloce spec. Value wise I'm not sure but a lot less than I thought! I paid £2050 for it in Feb 2014 which I think was a bit steep in hindsight. I've spent getting on for £2000 on it as I had a new clutch and flywheel and various suspension bushes, wheel bearing etc. I would say £1000 once it's got a full ticket and £800 as is but I could be out a bit either way until I test the market.

You can barely give 156s away. This is a shame as they are ace cars. Bloke in pub says they are shit and bloke in pub rules the internet, even though bloke in pub has never even seen a 156 and knows fuck all about all cars anyway.

I had a look through the completed listings on eBay and i couldn't believe the prices some of them went for. If it was an equivalent golf or Audi it would be double the price for a lot less car. Apart from the regular suspension bushes and the dmf mine has been reliable too. Most people know f*** all about cars but think they're experts.

Just to reinforce the above, Classified Ad, no Best Offer button. That's how we bought the A4 and how we sold the Civic it replaced. 

With the Civic we listed it for £895, and naturally we got a few silly folk, lowest offer etc (stereotypical Civic 5dr owners actually - I'll leave the rest to your imagination, but a lot of them are from Birmingham, Bradford etc) but after a few days a genuine, friendly bloke expressed interest, came down with his dad as promised, had a look and offered us £800, which we accepted. You'll hopefully have a good run with that - the lack of an offer button will deter the worst of the cretins - and it's easier to ignore emails etc compared to offers (no decline notifications etc, and they only get one chance per se, as opposed to eBay's 3). If/when you do get a genuine one, be honest and friendly with them and you'll be fine. It's all about impressions - the A4 seller had had a lot of chancers/idiots before we showed up (what do you expect on an A4 Quattro up for £1250?), it's all part of selling a car unfortunately. Only take offers on viewing, never over the phone etc, no matter how good, and leave the listing up until the paperwork's done, money recieved and the car drives away. 

Personally with things like that, I always set the price as just a little more than the item in question is worth to me - as then people will try and knock you down, but you still get how much you actually want - and they don't necessarily know that. (example: I wanted £120 for a bike I was selling so I listed it as £140 BIN. Got offered £110, bid them to £120, everyone wins).

^^^

This. Why? Because you'll probably get messages with offers anyway - having it on the listing is a nice way of saying "This is the ideal price, make up your mind if you want to chance an offer, I will listen" in fewer words. Just tell the chancers to come and see it, THEN make an offer, you won't agree to a sale without that. Even if they're buying it for a mate in Shetland and it'll cost them £2000 to get there by steam carriage.