The 405 News

Junkman

Right.

Back from England's northernmost manned outpost.
It's kind of weird driving a different car which is actually exactly the same as the current one.
The only real differences are the unacceptably uncomfortable seats, which will be replaced with proper ones at the earliest opportunity,
and the cruise control, which works after one figures out that in order to engage it, one must switch it on by means of a button hidden somewhere
on the centre console.

So far the only thing not working is the electric mirrors, which hints to the switch, not an unheard of fault.

The car will now proceed to the paint shop. There is hardly any paint left on the bonnet and there is a bit of lacker liquor lequar clearcoat peel

on the tailgate. I want this to be perfect.

I'm confused, are Conrad and Junkman the same person?

I found the leather quite comfortable, just too slippery.  Velour infinitely preferable.

Why are these cars, even in excellent condition, so cheap?  Is it a secret only me and Mr J know about?  

I'm confused, are Conrad and Junkman the same person?

Same here...has anyone seen Junkman and Conrad together in the same room?

We are two individuals and have been seen together on numerous occasions.

Mr Conelrad was good enough to accompany me on this trip, driving my 'old' 405.

Why are these cars, even in excellent condition, so cheap?  Is it a secret only me and Mr J know about?

Yes it is. And don't tell anybody.

Besides, this is the most I have ever paid for a 405.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers the less desirable options of badermatic and velour

Back in (2002?) (2003?) I went to the Melbourne Motor Show, and Rover had introduced a new, cheaper trim level on the 75, to squeak under a luxury car tax threshold, called the "Classic".  One of the cheaper features was that it had cloth seats (a wool plaid if my memory isn't playing tricks) rather than the leather in the Club.

The point is, when I sat in it, it was more comfy!  I sat IN the seat rather than ON the seat.  Very nice indeed.

Welcome to the - errrr - Club.

Why many people think leather is superior is beyond me. It also has inferior noise absorption properties, so cars with leather interiors are noisier inside.

Including this one, I have you know.

In ye goode olde dayse, the gentlefolk sat in the back of a Coupe De Ville on West of England Cloth, while leather was for the servant out front.

Now, please don't tell anybody, since I'm still hoping to trade the leather seats for posh ones without having to pay for the upgrade.

Well said Mr Junkman.  I look at some more modern cars (especially a German marque which is quite popular) with their shiny, flat and miserable looking leather and can't quite comprehend why it is so popular.

On the 405 velour front, can't decide if I prefer the standard GTX seat or this new super duper STI one that has just been acquired, I think actually the STI looks a bit posher.  I know for one thing the seat sits higher, perhaps it's to do with it being electric.

Img_7139a.jpg

pImg_3927a.jpg

Or how about a bit of both and go for the T16/Mi16 flavour?

Peugeot405T1int2.jpg

By the way kudos for having two models in great colours, Saxon Blue and Aquamarine, both really suit it.

Well said Mr Junkman.  I look at some more modern cars (especially a German marque which is quite popular) with their shiny, flat and miserable looking leather and can't quite comprehend why it is so popular.

On the 405 velour front, can't decide if I prefer the standard GTX seat or this new super duper STI one that has just been acquired, I think actually the STI looks a bit posher.  I know for one thing the seat sits higher, perhaps it's to do with it being electric.

Img_7139a.jpg

Christ.

Just looking at that makes me want to have a nap on the backseat.

Superb.

I want this perfect.

Dangerous talk...

Why many people think leather is superior is beyond me. It also has inferior noise absorption properties, so cars with leather interiors are noisier inside.

In ye goode olde dayse, the gentlefolk sat in the back of a Coupe De Ville on West of England Cloth, while leather was for the servant out front.

Yup, dead animal skin and motor vehicles was for those who had to work for a living. I love it! Unless real Harris Tweed is on offer, or something else natural and high quality. It's usually a concoction of ICI and some business in Huddersfield/Euroequivalent, though.

2cvs used to come with a decent basic cloth seat, as well as a rather smart jeans-material in special editions. Earlier CXs also had decent cloth seating material, replaced in the cheapened second series with a cheapo-nasty brushed nylon which did the opposite of breathe.

Saab used to make superb leather seats, about as good as modern German or Jap is horrid. I think GM found they cost more to make than a Corsa, for a set...