the light wars

gordonbennet

Oh, and first against the wall before all of the headlight abuses - cyclists with flashing LEDs, or worse, flashing LEDs and blinding 'head-lights' that look right at you when they're coming the other way. Top tip on flashing rear LEDs - if you're passing a set of railings in town, and I see the flashing LED, I'm going to interpret that as you being on the pavement behind the railing.

That reminds me, I MUST buy MORE lights for my push bike. 

The 3 flashing LED's are useless cycling through the UNLIT park under the trees, at 6am, and I have to guess where the path goes.  Almost hit a post in the middle of the path yesterday. I know it's there, but It was foggy and dark and I was going fast down hill on wet leaves, and kind of forgot. Still it beats cycling on the road.

Can you mount two lights at the bottom of the front fork on the pushbike?  I always wondered but never tried this to see if it gave me better view of the road.  The single light on the handlebars was akin to waving a candle around, it never really lit anything up, just made me a bit more visible to other road users.

That reminds me, I MUST buy MORE lights for my push bike. 

The 3 flashing LED's are useless cycling through the UNLIT park under the trees, at 6am, and I have to guess where the path goes.  Almost hit a post in the middle of the path yesterday. I know it's there, but It was foggy and dark and I was going fast down hill on wet leaves, and kind of forgot. Still it beats cycling on the road.

I used to have a 3-light setup on the front, and a big, 5 LED with side markers on the rear mudguard - not flashing. The front lights were Cat-Eye and Nightstik, the Cat-Eye set had a wide & spot with a handlebar control and would give 1hr 40m with one light on, or about 40m with both on. I used the spot as a "high beam" setup, with the wide beam aimed more in front & down to see what was on the road in front of me and kerbside, to avoid dazzling drivers. Never understood why the more aggressive cyclists think that blinding car drivers is the way to avoid accidents.

Of course, modern LED rigs like the Cat-Eye will have amazing runtimes. The stick one was mounted on a T-bar (also carried my GPS/iPaq in an Otterbox) and could be detached and stuck directly on the battery tube to work as a torch, it was used on cycle lanes to light whichever side the most hazards would be on.

Some of the latest LED tail/brake lights leave red spots in your eyes after the car has gone. Hardly good for road safety. I was in a queue behind such a vehicle tonight. The driver had his/her foot on the brake for ages. Had to look away as the brake lights were so bright it actually caused discomfort looking at them. Not only me either. Both passengers commented.

Agreed about the annoyance, although I am more annoyed at the driver's who don't use the handbrake, rather than the lights themselves.

On that subject, the hire Focus we had recently had Start/Stop, which with the auto box at least, was triggered by coming to a standstill with your foot on the brake. The moment you take your foot off the brake, the engine starts again. So it's actively encouraging people to keep their foot on the brake in traffic!

Can you mount two lights at the bottom of the front fork on the pushbike?  I always wondered but never tried this to see if it gave me better view of the road.  The single light on the handlebars was akin to waving a candle around, it never really lit anything up, just made me a bit more visible to other road users.

This should sort your probs,

LEDBIKEFront4RearON.jpg

from BMW's website, "BMW Laserlight takes the coherent and monochromatic blue laser beams and transforms them into harmless white light. This is done by using special lenses to direct the beams emitted by three high-performance laser diodes onto a fluorescent phosphorous substance inside the laser light source. This fluorescent substance converts the beams into a white light, still with a very high intensity, which the human eye finds particularly pleasant due to its close similarity to daylight. Following conversion of the laser beams, the harmless, dispersed light is projected forward by the headlight unit."

I have a feeling my eyes will find them particularly unpleasant...

I had to drive 200 miles in the dark and fog yesterday, mostly on the M1.

I know I need new specs and am having my eyes examined next week but, I genuinely had sweating palms at times.

Can't add much that is new about lights and glare  -  I am relieved that it's not just me, and it's not just you either :-)

from BMW's website, "BMW Laserlight takes the coherent and monochromatic blue laser beams and transforms them into harmless white light. This is done by using special lenses to direct the beams emitted by three high-performance laser diodes onto a fluorescent phosphorous substance inside the laser light source. This fluorescent substance converts the beams into a white light, still with a very high intensity, which the human eye finds particularly pleasant due to its close similarity to daylight. Following conversion of the laser beams, the harmless, dispersed light is projected forward by the headlight unit."

I have a feeling my eyes will find them particularly unpleasant...

Does that mean there is no bulbs? What does any of it mean to be honest

I've yet to come up with a way to fight back, though following the offenders home and once they're parked, taking a quiet cordless drill with a very long, very fine bit straight through the front of every one of their unnecessary lights, taking out lens, bulb and fitting in one go could be quite satisfying. Might have to year a balaclava against a sorted dashcam though.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

• 1 year later...

I think I've encountered another dazzling scourge, this time at the back of an artic. Yesterday I followed a lorry which had red LED strobe lamps in addition to the normal complement of rear illumination, and the driver activated them for short bursts before changing lane. It didn't look like they were simply wired in with the indicators as they sometimes came on independantly, but I hope this is a one-off nutcase and not a new assault on my poor retinas.