Yellow/sunroof 406 V6 Coupé Manual - £650 MOT November

RichardK

So, last week got interesting, particularly as I'm frantically shuffling funds around to collect the hearse this week if I can get the logistics sorted.

Regular people used to being bored senseless by my drivel will remember the E-class's new economy mode on the gearbox which allows it to use no fuel at all. In a typically sensible move, the solution to this was to buy a 1999 Honda Accord from this very parish. Which due to misaligned stars, is still parked on the lift waiting for brake discs & pads. Which should appear sometime in the next century.

Fortunately the SLK has taken on many duties and behaved. But, rewind to that sunny, feels like a season ago day when Keith did the awesome favour of a run up in the C6.

The drive was spent discussing all the interesting cars that might really be classics. Because, of course, car nutters talk about NOTHING BUT CARS, ever. I know, this must be like football fans or something.

Unanimous agreement on the Peugeot 406 Coupé got the mental wheels turning. Keith mentioned wanting something to take the load off the C6, and admired the amazing bargain that the Accord was, so first thing I did when getting back was go on eBay.

Search turned up a few, of course. I've got willpower, and I've been close to buying 406 V6 Coupés in the past but got cold feet because common sense and deep rooted hatred of PSA and PSA's attitude to spares support.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-PEUGEOT-406-SE-3-0-V6-COUPE-YELLOW-/262078531753?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=HBSt1nIWGLyu6%252FMkPTNO9HqjCGI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I mean they're really shit. If I had a fiver for every time I'd sworn off Peugeots & Citroëns post BX/405...

I'd probably be able to bid on a local 406 V6 Coupé.

Yeeaaah. So, anyway, it went over what I felt comfortable bidding. Also the questions I had asked and stuff had been partly just seeing what it was like in case Keith wanted to go for one, though perhaps asking about a yellow one was a bad idea. Keith bought the Audi, and I forgot 406s, started a cunning plan for a hearse, and life was normal.

For about five minutes. Before the seller of the 406 got in touch and said that the winning bidder hadn't been responsive. Cue mad panic trying to get money from anywhere!

At the weekend Keith & Matthew popped over in the Audi (which reminded me why Audi became desirable, the B3 90 is a nice machine), ran me over to Rugby and the car was paid for, taken with a cursory glance.

Got back having opened it up a bit, the oil light and stop light flickered. Also the alternator light is half-on but charging fine - the alternator is covered in manky oil leak.

post-19568-0-04359100-1445375443_thumb.jpg

Checked the oil, and it looked distressingly absent. Added some. Went to bed.

Next day, checked oil. SO MUCH OIL. Like, 2 litres too much. FFS. It was full when I left, it seemed randomly empty but definitely so, now it has all the oil I added PLUS the oil it had before. Typical. It does seem to leak a bit all over, maybe sump. Of course, the vacuum pump was deployed and a VERY TEDIOUS TIME spent draining out the cold oil. The dash level gauge works, but it'd be nice if it said things like "WAY TOO MUCH".

Opened the timing belt cover, it looks okay - not perished, not frayed. Plan to replace ASAP.

Gearbox is a little noisy. Going to change oil and hope.

post-19568-0-21165400-1445375458_thumb.jpg

124000 miles. It's probably going to be due a clutch.

Of course, I pushed it right into duty going to an important media event. Where loads of friends were like "HOW MUCH?! How is that even possible!?" but also just really impressed with how it looked.

post-19568-0-69929700-1445375506_thumb.jpg

Plus points:

There are supposedly fewer than 10 yellow 406 Coupés left (I'm guessing in the UK, rather than worldwide). This one is a V6 SE, with manual box, climate control, black leather and sunroof. It has some marks and bumps, but it's original - original wings, original paint, original dealer plates. Not much history, but prior to two very rapid changes of owner just 3 owners and under 900 miles since the last MOT.

Exhaust is manky, but the front subframe is in excellent order.

Noticed indicators were very white, so nipped out and replaced all the bulbs before testing times...

post-19568-0-21791500-1445375452_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-34116000-1445375455_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-30122100-1445375446_thumb.jpg

The pre-emptive MOT paid off - it passed with no advisories, though the tyres are a mess of crap, even if they are very legal treadwise. The brakes are fantastic, yeay Brembos.

post-19568-0-26598300-1445375462_thumb.jpg

Plans are to clean off the oil spills, do some detailing, track down an undented bootlid and undamaged/damaged in different places bumper and undertray. The doors have minor rust under mirrors (normal apparently), the driver's seat has bolster wear, but nearly everything works.

post-19568-0-15781000-1445375440_thumb.jpg

I broke the dash LCD clock trying to repair the light. I so rarely break stuff like that I'm thoroughly ashamed. And I want a new clock for it.

And overall, bloody hell, why did I not get one of these before?! Not only is it probably the most beautiful car I've owned for ages, it's got a great engine note, comfortable seats, economical. Love it.

I think the yellow thing works for me. Clearly got the faith to keep the yellow cars.

post-19568-0-03690400-1445375469_thumb.jpg

post-19568-0-39587900-1445375465_thumb.jpg

And deep down, I think the fact that despite hating PSA, despite the mass-produced dull interior, despite this being a deeply undervalued banger, this car is just so lovely. To change the timing belt costs 1.5x the value of the typical 406 coupé it seems. Despite all this, the car stirs emotions and attracts glances, stares and compliments. It is undeniably a...

post-19568-0-98773100-1445375448_thumb.jpg

Haven't seen or thought about these for years but I heartily concur, modern classic.   Pininfarina design isn't it?

And build - like the 306 Convertible, another modern Peugeot that totally aced the styling, a much better looking four seat convertible than anything else at any budget.

My aunt bought a yellow V6 (imported in I believe) new in the late 90's. Did it come out of Market Harborough?

This was from St. Peters in Worcestershireish, and seems to have ambled around the Midlands mostly. Shame there's not much history with it - I suspect up to a point it was cherished. Wonder how long it's been stood and why. Subframe looks fantastic, springs, not so - going to get on the springs and dampers ASAP as it handles okay, but clearly has bad damping.

I have a mate (who lurks on here from time to time - Mike, I'm looking at you. Show yourself) who has owned a few of these - is it possible to have a 406 Coupe fetish? The first one he owned had been (half-arsedly) turned into a track car by its previous owner, so was a bit of a dog. The second was a very tidy example in dark red and his third is currently in the process of being put back together, as it's a special edition one called a Settant'anni which has been off the road for a bit. Looks like this 

406_SettantAnni_00_T.jpg

Top puchasing! I was eyeing up a gunmetal v6 example myself over last week but plumped for the Alfa v6 instead. These seem to have been the last styling tour de force from automobiles peugeot; what a high note to go out on though!