Duplicate shite!

r.welfare

Those of you who peruse the R-R FSW thread may have spotted this, but this morning I became the proud owner of this shed:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Although in fairness it does look a lot better in the metal than in the pics - the bonnet paintwork is fine, for example. But yes, those are Granada GL hubcaps...

So I now have a Pug 405 estate, GLDT (so same model as my saloon), 1yr MOT, 6 months' tax, 5 new tyres and ran perfectly back from Stanwell to Basingstoke at 90+, all for £250. On the debit side, those back doors need painting, it needs a new offside front wing (someone's already tried to bang out the dent - badly), the headlining is falling down (thought only Volvo 740s did that?), and it's done 247,000 miles.

Still, it will be great for moving stuff around, and I can swop parts over with the saloon when necessary.

This does mean the 820's time with me is limited (as I have hidden the Pug from my wife, but not very well) - however I have just agreed with my neighbour that we'll do the clutch the weekend after next, so it won't be weighed in (as I promised the previous owner I wouldn't).

Interesting fact - manufactured 1993, but not registered until February 1995. That's a long time in a field in Ryton...

ran perfectly back from Stanwell to Basingstoke at 90+

:shock: you must have been sailing past some much more salubrious kit! :shock:
It's quality overtaking quicker/more modern traffic in old tat. People used to get especially annoyed at me daring to overtake them in my quite nippy but sheddy Subaru Justy.I think you should leave the doors alone. 8)

Splendid Mr Welfare, I do like a Peugeot 405 oil belcher. I had a GLDT wagon as a company hack back in the mid '90s, and it was nothing short of superb, very comfortable, went very well, and totally reliable, in fact I got upto 250,000 miles before it was replaced and had no major repairs just serviced every 6000 without fail, it was still on the original clutch! Its still on the road to, saw it a few months back :D My old Father has a 405 saloon, a non-turbot diesel I picked up for him about 6 years ago, and again its been faultless :D

I used to pass all sorts of much better cars (let's face it there's quite a broad spectrum! :lol: ) doing 80 in my R14. Sometimes I had to work very hard to get past some cars that would speed up when they saw me about to come past them! The most annoying thing is that the Chichester bypass is interspersed with roundabouts linking fairly short sections of dual carriageway in between so all of the cars I'd overtaken before the long stretch of the A27 comes to an end would come past me again between the roundabouts as they could get up to speed alot quicker than me. Then of course I just looked petty as I finally came back past them after building up the speed again....sort of see-saw fashion! :oops::lol:

The only time I really got narked by somebody taking the piss whilst I was out in the Renault was on my way into town once. I'd been stuck behind this dawdling Land Rover for most of the way, then finally I saw an opportunity to get past it along this double lane stretch (technically the other lane is for turning right at the roundabout up ahead, but it doesn't feed you that way till you're right up by the roundabout & there's normally enough time to get past cars & move back in front of them without cutting them up) but as soon as I moved out & tried to power ( :lol: ) my way past guess what? the sodding LR sped up too & stayed alongside me all the way to the roundabout (Now he speeds up!) meaning I was forced not only to go right around the roundabout I had no intention of going round but was then forced to the back of the conga line behind that sodding LR! :twisted::roll: If only I'd have been in the Alfa (which I didn't have at the time) I'd have made him choke on my roadkill! :D

Thanks for the kind comments chaps.Bigstraight6 - yes, they are good, aren't they? I honestly think that, provided the estate is sound in wind and limb, I now possess the only cars I will ever need :shock: Plenty of Waxoyl, plus the obligatory cambelt/tensioner/water pump change for the wagon (already done on the saloon), should hopefully see them good for a few years yet. I do like this era of Peugeot - all the important stuff (trim aside) is durable, and can be fixed with large hammers. The estate seems to be a bit faster than the saloon, mind you that one is only just run-in with 182k on the clock compared to the 247k of the wagon.Milford - jury's out on the doors. Certainly the driver's wing needs changing - there's plenty of 'pinhead' dents where someone has tried to beat it back into shape with a hammer - so I might just try and get half a dozen rattle cans on the cheap and do the doors too.Raffles - have to be a bloody big cupboard :lol: It's actually on my wife's friend's drive - one of the ones I have loan of (I can now clear her garage, and my mother-in-laws too, which will be nice for storing further tat) - but I have now told my wife about it. She wasn't too happy to start with but, once I proved I did the whole transaction from start to finish today (i.e. unplanned), promised to get shot of the Rover and also not to buy any more cars, she appears appeased. Mind you, she hasn't seen it yet!Job #1 is to replace the steering wheel (which has odd chunks out of it) with a new one from eBay. Then it's time for a full service (inc. possibly a new thermostat or temp sensor, as the temp gauge reads low most of the time and the heater isn't great), and hopefully a load area liner. Then I need to work out how to fit the roof rails from the higher-spec versions, perhaps a towbar, and then it's out to work.Pog - I've changed my job now, so all my meetings are 'internal' (working for Branson). Having said that, I'm back to 40p/mile; trips to Coventry last Thursday and Wolverhampton this Monday will actually pay for this beast outright in the mileage claims :wink: