Vauxhall Corsair 1.2 - NOW FOR SALE NOW (SALE NOW ON! (NOW))

Station

I hope mine will last long enough to be categorised in the novelty 'haven't seen one of those in a while'. Atm mine is in the category of 'that's tidy' (ie not many decent ones left) and certainly gets a lot more comments than my Astra Coupe.

My advice to you body wise would be to invest 30 quid on 2 big cans of Dinitrol that are supplied with a flexible lance.

I do admit that they are a poor drive in standard cooking form and lowering and stiffening the suspension as I have done makes it into a right little crate. Still won't part with it though.

I always liked the way they looked, I think early three door Corsas are one of the best looking small cars ever. I even liked the chunky Fisher Price style interior. I didn't think they were greatest drive but having got into one from a Renault 5 GT Turbo it was equivalent of dancing the tango with Maria Sharapova before doing the Chicken dance with Olive from On the Buses. If only someone French did the chassis.......

But Vauxhall didn't build them to show a 205 GTI or Porsche a clean pair of heels on a twisty road. They were made to move people around cities and be as painless as possible to own. They did that pretty well. Sure there were better cars at doing that but if people didn't buy them buy the ton we wouldn't be picking em up for £150 today.

I'd roll one, but it would have to be one of those awful purpley blue ones on steelies which I always felt were the ultimate disposable car. Yet despite my defence, my family crest motto is "Omnes Vauxhalls sung stercora" which could be a good motto for this forum?

Either that or "Quid posset ire iniuriam" featuring Savvys bridge shot, a Rover 75, and a Peugeot 306 without a gearbox.

My old boss bought a 1.4 petrol corsa van 5yrs old from a bloke who ran a courier company.

It had 44k on the clock.

Hmmmm. *strokes imaginary goatee beard*

It was a 4 wheeled dog shit.

By far the worst thing about a corsa b is the expectation.

They look fun fizzy and funky like they would be a hoot to drive.

They drive like a Lada.

I'm probably the only person on the planet that finds the Corsa B comfortable to drive long distance, a fact that still surprises me because it really should be the most spine destroying pew and springs ever.  They aren't the most inspiring drive, particularly in boggo spec, tall suspension and skinny tyres but neither are they pant wettingly terrible.

In many ways they're like a 90s version of an Austin A30.  Slightly awkward looking, slightly cute, very basic, fairly crude, nice and solid and easy to live with.  They've been the preferred weapon for new drivers, learner drivers, the elderly, the uninsurable yoof and the minimum wage slave who has to get to work.  It's a car for everyone and it does everything without fuss and without drama unless you want it to.

So, let's all agree to disagree and just enjoy watching someone tidy up a car that divides opinions but has survived for long enough to warrant the attention.  Remember, this is the home of the unloved shitbox and their defective owners.

I always remember these in mint green with steel wheels. I have only ever driven 2 examples of these. A 1.7 n/a diesel and another that someone had fitted a 2.5 V6 in to it. I also remember a white merit corsa in leicester that someone had fitted a 2.0 red top in. It was bog standard to look at and did a fantastic job of pissing off all the BMW drivers in the area. Am I right in thinking these were just an updated Nova? Or were they totally new under the skin?

I saw one of those fabulous* minty green coloured ones today, one of the few colours (of Corsa) I've never owned. That purple one they made when they first came out is also high up on my want list.

another that someone had fitted a 2.5 V6 in to it

Presumably this went like stink in a straight line, but had about 1 degree of steering angle lock-to-lock? Also, I like to think that 99.8% of the gross vehicle weight was ahead of the driver in this incarnation.

Verdict: Vauxhall should have offered it out the factory. 11/8.7

Presumably this went like stink in a straight line, but had about 1 degree of steering angle lock-to-lock? Also, I like to think that 99.8% of the gross vehicle weight was ahead of the driver in this incarnation.

Verdict: Vauxhall should have offered it out the factory. 11/8.7

It did feel like the only thing behind the front wheels was me. I once drove a mini that was breaking in 2 pieces that felt safer. The diesel was a hoot to drive.

They are dour to drive, uncomfortable and grim inside but I like seeing tidy Corsa Bs now they aren't everywhere, the youngest examples are what, over 15 years old? I think dug ong was pretty unlucky to break down in one, they are reliable for all their flaws.

New C4 on finance?

Sorry, did you fart?

Least my Citroen stays out of ditches (and is insured).

In between the helpful* bickering, did we get a price on it?

Ps: Vulcangalore: I reckon they're comfortable, too. I can get the seat just right, which is hard for a lanky fat bastard with a bad back.