1976 Daimler Sovereign - £1500

RobT

Despite being quite content knocking about in cheap 80s/90s chod, for a while I've been wanting to buy something older and a bit silly. My first idea was an early SD1, but prices for a decent one seem to have gone mental. So next up was a Jag, ideally the cheaper end of the scale but a useable runner. After poncing about ruminating over a brown S2 and several S3s, I settled on this old Daimler. Wedding car white wasn't my first choice, but in the flesh it won me over.

post-5013-0-11720100-1443904766_thumb.jpg

The collection happened almost without incident last Wednesday (ran out of pez and brakes went a bit funny, but I got home OK) and to say I'm happy with it is an understatement. I'm only three days into ownership so there's plenty of time for major fuck ups to occur, but for £1,800 I can't think of much else that offers the same level of OMG-ness.

It was subject to a DIY restoration in the early 90s where the sills, floors, front cross member and various other parts were replaced. The 3.4 was replaced with a 4.2 and the colour changed from blue to white. There's loads of receipts from Loxley Jaguar in Sidcup which is fairly local to me, where the lad doing the resto got his parts from and some grainy old pics of the work being done.

post-5013-0-12711600-1443905352_thumb.jpg

Needless to say it 'aint all wonderful. The paint on the roof is heavily crazed and peeling, the automatic enrichment device thingy (a sort of mini carb) is fugged so it runs rich and needs a tune up, various dash lights don't work, the heater is intermittent, the front windscreen seal lets water in, the brake are a bit dodgy, and the RH fuel tank didn't work but has now decided to piss out fuel everywhere despite not being used previously. Do I care? No. This car is so bloody lovely to waft about it I'm prepared to forgive it loads. Being critical you can tell the BL influence as trim quality is poor in places, and i'm sure earlier Jags such as S1s and Mk2s etc feel more luxurious and better finished.

Also, it's an odd situation in that the DVLA database showed it hadn't been taxed since 1992, but then has an MoT from 2004, so it must have been in slumber after the resto and then someone had plans 10 years ago to use it which came to nothing. The same happened recently as it was MoTd in April, had four new tyres and two new genuine Jaguar exhausts fitted, but then got part-ex'd to the guy who I bought it off who wasn't that bothered about keeping it.

Poor old thing, I figure it deserves a bit of use, so once I get the brakes and fuel tank sorted (I've bodged it for now, fingers crossed it works) I'm going to use the bugger as often as I can. Re Seth's post in Angrydicky's Somerset thread, there aren't enough old cars being used as daily drivers, and this being far from mint but also surprisingly solid means I may try and do just that (once I've Waxoyld every last sumptuous orifice!). The fuel bill will be horrific, but whatever. It can share duties with the ever trusty Cavalier.

Anyway, enough waffle, MOAR pics. Photos flatter obviously, as the paint is flat and chrome heavily pitted, but mint motors aren't my thing.

post-5013-0-67743700-1443907225_thumb.jpg

Note the lack of passenger door mirror. Makes me realise how much I use one.

post-5013-0-83497800-1443907275_thumb.jpg

Although they look OK, plates need to go for proper ones with raised lettering.

post-5013-0-77385900-1443907379_thumb.jpg

Saggy arsed drivers seat

post-5013-0-48831400-1443907495_thumb.jpg

Shit roof paint. Vinyl it maybe?

post-5013-0-07820500-1443907559_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to not cleaning it for 6 months, then attending a classic show 'n' shine event next year.

Fantastic! Older XJs can quite often be advertised for not very much in NZ and they have appealed, though their sheer size let alone anything else puts me off from a logistics perspective - I've run out of space to store stuff. Plus, I'm also crap at selling cars; there's loads of things I'd like to try for a couple of months and then pass on but that latter part has never come easy to me.

As you say, try not to worry too much about the condition of the paint. The bonnet of my Visa is just the same, if not worse and the rest of the paint work is absolutely shocking, with bad over spray, rust spots etc. but at least I own one and in the end, it's just an old car and a bit of fun.

These are lovely looking things! Bet it feels effortless to drive, and similar to my range rover, at least recent fuel prices make keeping these beasts fed a bit easier. Have you got much history beside the resto bits?

None at all which is a shame, so I'll do the v888 thing to fill the history out a bit. 'Tis indeed effortless, the steering is very light but has enough feel so isn't vague.

Regarding size, they are long and low but not that wide, and doesn't feel huge against many modern monstrosities.

When S2's were everywhere for a couple of hundred quid , I had a S1 but wanted an S3. In fact I did have 3 S2's but either ripped out the 4.2 for my 2.8 manual S1 or just sold them on without really using them because I had an irrational dislike of them.

Now the feckin things cost a fortune I suddenly think they're the best looking of all the XJ's and your white one on painted steels is the best looking of all of them to my eyes, I love the blue cloth too, although it seems unlikely a Daimler would have left the factory without skinned cow.

I'm not sure if it had a re-trim, but considering it's a Daimler there's not a huge amount in terms of luxury. No wood door cappings, air con or electric windows for example. I do like the velour though, and the rear seat top is faded for a nice old bit of patina.

I'm not sure if it had a re-trim, but considering it's a Daimler there's not a huge amount in terms of luxury. No wood door cappings, air con or electric windows for example. I do like the velour though, and the rear seat top is faded for a nice old bit of patina.

Yes, it seems Government Large Car plant no.2 went through a phase of Daimler's not being upmarket Jags, but a straight badge engineering exercise at around this time. Looking at old brochure scans , you had to go for the Vanden Plas to get upmarket luxuries over and above the equivalent Jag, I wonder what the price difference was?

post-17414-0-98297500-1443948767_thumb.jpg

This shows an interior similar to yours, looks like headrests were an option, there was a similar 3.4 Jag brochure ,but the model looking under the covers wasn't in chauffeurs uniform.

Perhaps that was the marketing thinking ; Jag= owner driver, Daimler= chauffeur driven.

Lovely.

I had an S2 squadron blue Jaguar 4.2 auto. I loved it to bits and used to polish it weekly. It wasn't that old at the time so I guess it being reliable wasn't that much of an achievement but it was! Water pump went and r.h tank sender unit had a fit (bit of solder fixed that) and that was it in about a years happy motoring.

They are a true 'timeless classic' and deserve to be used and loved.

I think that ones cause is not helped by being a swb S1, also the shiny tyres,chrome wheels and mudflaps combo all conspire to make it look as if Regan and Carter are just about to chase it onto some wasteland near Shepherds Bush.

Vinyls suit S2's , But for some reason a 1 or 3 looks odd, wonder if anyone ever put one on a XJ40 ?

Lovely looking car, the interior looks a nice place to be too. Top purchase.

Personally I think they look nice with vinyl roofs, but I don't think it'll cost that much to just have the roof painted. I had serious lacquer peel on my old Volvo 740 roof and had it it rubbed down and re sprayed, and re lacquered on the roof and down the pillars for about £250. It was metallic paint aswell so I'd imagine white would be easier to do it with and make it blend in with the older paint on other panels.

It's a bloody nice car still though, I'd love to have one myself at some point.

I love this. I use my old cars as dailys, although my current ride is a 98 XJ8 so I am cheating a bit but the Visa was doing 200 miles a week beforehand. Can't really see myself driving owt else other than old Jags going forward and have been thinking about going for an older one at some point. Hope it goes well.

These S2 ones seem to be mega rare now. I recall not that long after they were new they weren't especially favourably well received, so you get quadruple bonus points for yours as it looks absolutely ace.