Vegetarian Megane

Sigmund Fraud

post-17318-0-49872200-1443686747_thumb.jpg

This hideous old thing has been my daily car since early 2013. As mentioned before on this very forum, it's the polar opposite of a status symbol - people give you pity looks when you're at the lights and acquaintances assume you've been on the dole for many years.

But if you don't give a fuck about keeping up with the Joneses, it's ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC !

Renault has a well-deserved reputation for being reliably unreliable, but under the curvy mid-90s shape of this heap lies a good-old Renner 19, with simple 1980s technology that even Junkman would approve of !

It's powered by a marvellously agricultural F8Q engine - naturally aspirated diesel with a mechanical Bosch pump. It returns a real-world 48MPG and loves veggie oil. I've been running it on an ultra-conservative 10-20% SVO mix over the last 20K miles, but it will happily run on 50%.

It currently has 114K on the clock - "only just run in, guv". Nearly 40K of those have been in my hands, and it's taken me all over Europe. Here it is in Speyer, Germany earlier this summer :

post-17318-0-47786600-1443687745_thumb.jpg

I bought it with FSH and it has been maintained by yours truly ever since. The only time it failed to proceed was when 20 years of dizzler rattle managed to disconnect the starter solenoid cable - a very easy fix.

So what's wrong with it ?

1. It's not perfect. The exterior is full of small dings and scrapes, because daily. There's also plenty of rattles and electric niggles, because French.

2. The rear arches are borked, a pretty standard early Megane issue. The nearside sill end still seems OK, the offside one may or may not survive an attack by the dreaded CAT, come MoT time. You can still buy the arch panels for £35 a side, if you want to do a proper job.

3. The middle section of the exhaust snapped following a close encounter with a massive speed bump at work. I hate doing exhausts, so I bodged it together using a sleeve until I could take it to my tame mechanic who has more patience than myself and a four-post lift. This has, of course, not happened.

4. MoT expires on the 5th November - short but should give you enough time to sort out the above issues.

I'm in Andover, North Hampshire and this marvellous contraption can be yours for £150.

I can collect prospective buyers from the local bus or train station. If someone is after an EPIC COLLECTION THREAD I could even meet them at Southampton or Bournemouth airports !

A puma was advetised on retro rides the other day - V plate, rust, slipping clutch, 1.7 engine, £150.

You would think for that money it would have gone quickly - not a chance.

People asking questions like "does it drive?" "Does it have a heated screen?"

He should have punted it on here - it would have gone quicker than a VW chief executive.

Hope he's prepared to get 40 quid for it !

There was was near me for 500 quid . The advert said that if it wasn't sold by fri he would scrap it . It was on eBay with a BIN or best offer so I sent him a very polite offer of 250 saying what the current scrap price was and he got the right hump . It didn't sell by Friday so I wonder if he did scrap it

Hope he's prepared to get 40 quid for it !

There was was near me for 500 quid . The advert said that if it wasn't sold by fri he would scrap it . It was on eBay with a BIN or best offer so I sent him a very polite offer of 250 saying what the current scrap price was and he got the right hump . It didn't sell by Friday so I wonder if he did scrap it

It really gets my goat when people do that :

-I want £500 for my scruffy Satsuma Castagnet.

-Sorry, but decent Satsuma Castagnets sell for around £300. This one is worth closer to £150 but I'm happy to give you £250 because I like the colour / my uncle Ted bought one new in 1985 / I've had half a bottle of VAT69 and the people on Autoshite said it was a good idea / I won at the races earlier today (delete as appropriate).

-Fuck off, I'd rather scrap it.

And they do, making £50 in the process ! Why ? Why destroy a working car AND lose money, just to spite a complete stranger who made you a fair offer and would have given the car a new lease of life ?

Oh, the humanity !