Here it comes - the 'Scrappage Scheme'

The Main

Damn annoying if all the cars are MOT'd etc and destined for the crusher with no recourse. Would be a great opportunity to set up a "rent a wreck" type business if you could get hold of them for very little and rent them to people with no guaruntee of them actually getting them where they want to go....

The more I read about this, the less I am worried. If it's only people that can afford a new car (or the finance) and want to buy one, Yes it will waste perfectly good cars, but it smacks of putting a sticking plaster on the grand canyon. I think it's the Government trying to look like they are doing something. It's like the free or extra cheap road tax bands. How many people do you know (could be asking the wrong people here) that have got a newish car in that band?

Damn annoying if all the cars are MOT'd etc and destined for the crusher with no recourse. Would be a great opportunity to set up a "rent a wreck" type business if you could get hold of them for very little and rent them to people with no guaruntee of them actually getting them where they want to go....

Or a mass expansion of the Hirst Cabs fleet - I'd have to get an office and everything.

Car to be scrapped must have been registered, for a minimum period [yet to be determined], in the name of the purchaser.

Thats the key thing really, otherwise it's will be even more pointless than it already is.

Why 9 years? something magical about vehicles made in 2000 onwards?. The RAC said, to actually have any environmental benefit, it should only apply to vehicles over 18 years old, but as there are relatively so few of them anyway, it would be useless for the SMMT's purposes.

IIRC The Treasury are still very dubious about this, and a lot of broadsheet paper's columnists and editorials think its a shit idea, so it might not happen yet.

Why 9 years? something magical about vehicles made in 2000 onwards?

So that they are not promoting taking the cars off the road that are liable for the post 2001 VED hike..Therefore its fine to have an old car, just one that you pay lots of tax on.. :roll:

I still think theres a case for a maximum age on any such scheme, on the basis that if a vehicle has lasted that long there will be relatively little to gain from encouraging its destruction. Maybe the pre-73 free road tax goes some way towards satisfying this concept, but that's still a big gap between 9 years old and 36.

Why 9 years? something magical about vehicles made in 2000 onwards?

So that they are not promoting taking the cars off the road that are liable for the post 2001 VED hike..Therefore its fine to have an old car, just one that you pay lots of tax on.. :roll:
Well no, pre CO2 registered emission cars pay a flat rate, we have a 4.2 Daimler and a 1.6L transit in the same tax band! Can you imagine how much tax a 5 year old Daimler is paying?

It is wasteful encouraging destruction of cars with plenty of life still left in them but then the SMMT don't give a toss about that. TBH I'm not over concerned by it as I can't see it being a roaring success. As has already been mentioned, most people running older cars aren't about to rush out and finance themselves to death to own a new car even with a £2.5k subsidy.

Mrs L would quite like a Mazda 2. We could chop her Alto in with it now being worth £2.5k but then would still need to find another £8k and unless theres more loose change down the back of the sofa than I thought, then it ain't gonna happen (and anyway, the little Suzuki is far too useful to be getting rid of).

Rates for unsecured personal loans have gone up making finance more expensive and it is already harder for anyone without an unblemished credit history to get a loan so I don't imagine this scheme will work quite as the retail motor industry would like.

Hopefully.

The thing that winds me up a bit is that this is all being done in the interests of the "motor industry", what about the other end of the motor industry - used car traders, breakers, motor factors, etc? I can't see them doing a roaring trade out of all this.

The thing that winds me up a bit is that this is all being done in the interests of the "motor industry", what about the other end of the motor industry - used car traders, breakers, motor factors, etc? I can't see them doing a roaring trade out of all this.

That's a good point, never mind the environment!

I think that the official line is that MPs tend not to have shares in the other end of the motor industry so it can fuck off.

How many people do you know (could be asking the wrong people here) that have got a newish car in that band?

My other half has a 206 HDi that cost £35 a year to tax.Although she had absolutely no idea about the tax rates till she went to tax it at a year old!(I might point out that I had nothing to do with the purchase, it was pre me!)

3. Car to be scrapped must be over 9 years old"I think the 9 year watershed is because of the CO2 emissions being registered with the DVLA around then, pre 1997 are guaranteed not to have CO2 emissions, after that the manufacturers started adding the emissions bit by bit."

And:

2. Emissions of proposed car to be purchased must be less than that of car to be scrapped

Could somebody please reconcile the above two criteria for me? I'm a little confused. How can the government give you a subsidy for replacing your old car with a new one with lower CO2 emissions when it has no record of what the emissions of your old car are? Am I being thick here, or has this not been thought through very carefully?

3. Car to be scrapped must be over 9 years old

"I think the 9 year watershed is because of the CO2 emissions being registered with the DVLA around then, pre 1997 are guaranteed not to have CO2 emissions, after that the manufacturers started adding the emissions bit by bit."

And:

2. Emissions of proposed car to be purchased must be less than that of car to be scrapped

Could somebody please reconcile the above two criteria for me? I'm a little confused. How can the government give you a subsidy for replacing your old car with a new one with lower CO2 emissions when it has no record of what the emissions of your old car are? Am I being thick here, or has this not been thought through very carefully?
Replace the words "very carefully" with the words "at all"

3. Car to be scrapped must be over 9 years old"I think the 9 year watershed is because of the CO2 emissions being registered with the DVLA around then, pre 1997 are guaranteed not to have CO2 emissions, after that the manufacturers started adding the emissions bit by bit."

And:

Well of course you can't prove the emissions of a 9+ year old car, that might show just how wrong buying a new car really is.

Cheapest Ford Fiesta: £8514Ford Fiesta Econetic: £12245I think that shows how much Ford care for the environment :wink:

Why would they give a fook? They have your money, now fook off. Also, if you take off the 2.5K allowance against your perfectly legal and serviceable 'banger' the eco model is still dearer, so this whole scheme just ian't gonna fly!

Cheapest Ford Fiesta: £8514Ford Fiesta Econetic: £12245I think that shows how much Ford care for the environment :wink:

They won't sell as many of the 'Econetic' as the 'Style' or whatever the base model you quote is. Thats why it's more expensive.I remember in Clarkson's 'sensible' test of the new Fiesta, he mentions the Econetic model but then opines 'but you won't want to buy that one because it will be s...'

I Was offered a Peugeot 406 Diesel estate on friday. R registered low mileage (62.000mls) Tax/test july £400 ono. Today he has said he wants £2.500 for it and no less as he has been told by a garage that all old cars are now worth this due to the scrappage scheme. Grrrrr :evil:

I Was offered a Peugeot 405 Diesel estate on friday. R registered low mileage (62.000mls) Tax/test july £400 ono. Today he has said he wants £2.500 for it and no less as he has been told by a garage that all old cars are now worth this due to the scrappage scheme. Grrrrr :evil:

Now THERE'S the issue. Even if the scheme doesn't come in, people will think it already has - like the complete dickheads who thing free road tax is still on a 25 rolling year basis - or the even bigger tosspots who think they don't actually need a tax disc on their classic! (Yes, I have seen photo evidence of this...)

I Was offered a Peugeot 405 Diesel estate on friday. R registered low mileage (62.000mls) Tax/test july £400 ono. Today he has said he wants £2.500 for it and no less as he has been told by a garage that all old cars are now worth this due to the scrappage scheme. Grrrrr :evil:

Does this chap have some sort of 'insider information' that the scrappage scheme is a goer then :roll: he sounds like just the sort of mug that would get sucked in on this though, assuming he's in a position to get the credit :lol: