Forum Improvements thread/suggestions comments here

daveb47

Can't make my mind up about different sections.

Dave, has the traffic on here increased hugely recently? It feels like it.

The open forum was a god send to keep this in one clear of crap but increasingly I find myself scrolling down this page looking for a good thread and not opening any whereas I used to read them all.

I know, I could always try and contribute decent content myself...

Better to be too busy than dead. The LR forum I once was very active on now lies dormant with a couple of posts a day.

The problem with spitting things up into multiple groups is that they can each go stale very quickly, with members interacting less as they frequent their own preferred section while other groups, maybe of high quality, show not enough activity to engage. I like the eclectic hustle and bustle of the main forum as it's almost always fresh, even if a chunk of it can be drivel. Plus neat tidy and regimented it hardly shiteliving is it?

My view is leave it as it is.

I very rarely use the open forum as is and when I do it is generally a quick skim to see if anything is of interest.

In this forum I tend to read threads I may otherwise have passed up on.

On the blue forum I tend to look at General, Readers rides and cars for sale. God knows what I am missing in other sections that might or might not be useful.

Keeping it in one place works.

How do we feel about the Garages section? There's 163 threads in there but hardly anyone is engaging; the average number of replies is 0.5 with the most popular thread having a whopping 12 replies. On top of that if you want to see a proper sized photo of someone's car you have to click through three pages so honestly I'm not seeing the point of it.

Would a readers rides/build threads section be a better option?

I like having everything in one place, part of the charicter of the forum in my opinion.

In terms of features I'd love the Edit window to show BB Code rather than the actual image as this makes copying and pasting difficult. Particularly if your writing content on here and want to reuse it on other forums / platforms.  The forum used to just show the code which was much better for making long posts / edits quickly.

In terms of features I'd love the Edit window to show BB Code rather than the actual image as this makes copying and pasting difficult. Particularly if your writing content on here and want to reuse it on other forums / platforms.  The forum used to just show the code which was much better for making long posts / edits quickly.

Click the little light switch button, it's in the very top left corner; first on the top row.

I was happy with it as it was, but have no problem with any changes as I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

I see that I am guilty of some of the things that other people don't like though. Asking for advice when buying a car, guilty, although I did eventually buy one from and recommended by a forum member.

Randomly adding to threads with the "I had one of those once", I'm sorry, sometimes I feel can add a bit from my experience of owning that type of car, but obviously wrong so I'll keep my big mouth shut from now on.

"Vaseline" type photographs, yes I'm shit at taking photographs and don't own a decent camera, so I won't bother with that either.

My response to threads that don't particularly interest me is not to look at or respond to them, I do like the like button as I can show my appreciation of a topic, comment or photograph without having to make any (obviously pointless and uninteresting) comments.

I shall therefore improve the forum by contributing less

I was happy with it as it was, but have no problem with any changes as I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

I see that I am guilty of some of the things that other people don't like though. Asking for advice when buying a car, guilty, although I did eventually buy one from and recommended by a forum member.

Randomly adding to threads with the "I had one of those once", I'm sorry, sometimes I feel can add a bit from my experience of owning that type of car, but obviously wrong so I'll keep my big mouth shut from now on.

"Vaseline" type photographs, yes I'm shit at taking photographs and don't own a decent camera, so I won't bother with that either.

My response to threads that don't particularly interest me is not to look at or respond to them, I do like the like button as I can show my appreciation of a topic, comment or photograph without having to make any (obviously pointless and uninteresting) comments.

I shall therefore improve the forum by contributing less

I can't see what you're supposed to have done wrong, to be honest. Your input can't be faulted imho, hopefully you carry on as you were.

I think the grumpy old man and its antidote will wither and die cause I for one cba to keep swapping forums.

Maybe that's not a bad thing but after a while this place becomes an online community and I look in to see what vulg or Billy or bollox are up to, not specifically to read about cars of a particular age or state.

A well written piece about a new Fiat is better than some waffling crap about a Talbot Horizontal.

Photos..........is there a way of automatically making the photos a lower res a thread? Maybe only go higher if you click?

I like a photo thread...a lot. But some f the really good pic heavy ones seem to really slow things down. Stop my eye pad dead sometimes and even my work PC seems to suffer now.

Used to be a rare thing...........not now.

oh.........bring back grumpy and grin please!