Small(ish) diesel (or maybe not) WHY?

fairkens

MGF, ken.

I'm in the same boat, 30 mile each way, mostly A road with a 7 mile section of M4 thrown in. I was looking for a sensible, reliable, practical turbo-diesel for this commute and ended up with the F. It's currently doing 40mpg (I'm averaged 1700.75 miles per month over the last 4 months and I'm spending in the region of £200 a month on fuel.

I could halve (or even more) my monthly fuel bill by going over to a:-

I liked my Skoda Fabia SDI, easy 60MPG, simple mechanicals with hardly anything to go wrong, veg friendly and plenty of power to motor along at illegal speeds.

and in fact I have a couple in my watch list. Out of interest, LP, what year is yours, please? If it will be as much fun to drive as I find the F to be, is another matter. As has been said, I am stuck in mine for about 2 hours a day, and I now have an aux output so I can listen to podcasts whole driving, works for me.

60 miles a day is probably approaching 2 hours a day... 2 hours a day at the wheel of some diesel mingebag cattle truck @ £30 a week.  A 30mpg petrol car would be £50 a week in fuel, but think about the kind of undervalued luxobarge you could be wafting about in instead!  

I'm also sniffing about after an Albanian gangster-mobile of some description. Because fuck common sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the mgf does 40mpg, and you swapped it for a Fabia doing 60mpg, how would you halve the fuel bill? You would be a 25% better off. Or £50 a month.

based on mixing veg/diesel. I didn't explain that bit, sorry

and in fact I have a couple in my watch list. Out of interest, LP, what year is yours, please? If it will be as much fun to drive as I find the F to be, is another matter. As has been said, I am stuck in mine for about 2 hours a day, and I now have an aux output so I can listen to podcasts whole driving, works for me.

Mine was an 02 plate. They aren't fun to drive but they aren't a bad steer either.

I've been thinking of punting on my 205 diesel, but all of what Garethj said is true. Overtaking is no fun with 59bhp on tap.

And it's in Devon so far too far away.

Does do consistently 55 mpg though.

If you do decide to punt it could you drop me a PM?

I'm debating a 205 derv or polo coupe as my daily commute may go up to 80 miles of Devon A-roads.

I also do 30 miles each way for my commute, half motorway half A roads, I've got a 1.4 16v Punto mk2b. Doing 60 on the A roads and 70 on motorway gets me 48-50mpg, 70 on the A roads and 80 on the motorway ~46mpg. 100bhp and a light car means overtaking is quite good. The FIRE engine is a good engine if you avoid the miserable 1.2 8V single point injection version. The 1.2 16V kicks out a handy 80bhp with slightly better economy than my 1.4. 

I do miss my diesel 156 but I'm getting better economy now without having to worry about a big diesel engine related bill. I did try and find a non common rail diesel before I bought the Punto but they all seemed to be clapped out wrecks going for silly money 'coz it's a diesel innit'.

I agree with the above comments of getting a larger more fuel hungry car as you spend so long in it but I just couldn't stretch to the extra money every month.

I'm not a massive fan of the pug but would a citroen of that age be a complete nightmare? It does look like a comfy way to spend the time

the Octavia will be for sale soon, pending successful MOTage, it even has a brand new windscreen :mrgreen:

I should know in a week or two.  it is a little bit of a trek from yorks though :?

Lee

Keep me posted. If I'm going to trawl around the country better off buying from a shiter

Also EPPYKCOLICSHINS

Anything to look out for on these?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/262051657665?_mwBanner=1

Seller says no advisories on MOT, suspension works well but is vague around the centre position. New rear spheres but no info on when last serviced. Would do it anyway on a new car but odd when it's been off the road for c. 5 years?

• 3 weeks later...

I'd rather drive a 205 ... Just because something is a size above doesn't make it better to drive or more comfortable.

This.

Don't disregard a 205 in terms of ride comfort. At standard ride height and MOTable suspension, they are softly sprung (though well damped) with long suspension travel, and will put many bigger and more modern motors to shame.

The same goes for boggo 106's, Saxo etc.

Having carefully read through your choices/considerations, your best bet would be a Mk3 Mondeo, ideally the fabulous 2.0 petrol version.

Obvs. the ideal one would be in JRG, but what are the chances of you finding a reasonably priced one for sale?