Small(ish) diesel (or maybe not) WHY?

fairkens

Good afternoon shite-fans

Will shortly be changing job location which means that the train will no longer be taking the strain and I'll have a 60 mile round trip commute of mainly A and B roads with a bit of town stuff at either end.

I'm not too fussy* but looking for something that stands a vague chance of 50mpg on a run and not too crispy on the body.

Had a 106 before so first thought is something XUD'd (bonus litre of asdas finest veg oil for anything Bosch pumped) could go for a 205 also been checking out skoda felicias/maestros

Wouldn't mind a van...

Budget up to about £800. I've got a couple of months before I need it

Cheers

I've been in this situation, I liked the Pug 205 diesel although it's hard work overtaking on A roads as it's only got 59bhp. 50mpg though, all the time.

I also had a Skoda Octavia tdi, Groovylee has it now. 60mpg and 110bhp so it's an easy drive but the driving position wasn't great for me with long legs.

I'd consider a Pug 306 as probably the best mix of fun handling, mpg, reliability and straight line performance. Buy carefully to avoid a dog and you'll be fine.

A lot of the SDI engined VWs Skodas etc have ended up going home with the migrant worker population as they prefer the olde worlde type diesel in Romania, Slovakia etc...

Possibly HDI engined Citroen Xsara might be a good bet if the axle isn't gone or the damped pulley isn't on its way out.

As I've said before a lot of Diesels at this money can be trouble as they often get offloaded at the sign of imminent expense with the pump/injectors. Older type Astra G 1.7 might be a good one again.

Forget the old XUD engined 406s etc, most are either worn out or suffering age related shaggedoutness. Anyway a lot weren't that much more economical than a 1.6 Astra when you look back.

A lot of the SDI engined VWs Skodas etc have ended up going home with the migrant worker population as they prefer the olde worlde type diesel in Romania, Slovakia etc...

These are pokier than you'd expect and extremely frugal. Downside: patchy build quality (but good for a supermini) and the engine's physical size within the vehicle mean they can be tricky to work on. Tax can be expensive too.

I'd try the Yaris 1st/2nd gen 1.4D. Weird dashboard but if you can get over that the 1.4Ds are more powerful than SDIs, poss more reliable and don't have a cambelt to worry about. #toyotaconfidence

60 miles a day is probably approaching 2 hours a day... 2 hours a day at the wheel of some diesel mingebag cattle truck @ £30 a week.  A 30mpg petrol car would be £50 a week in fuel, but think about the kind of undervalued luxobarge you could be wafting about in instead!  

For a left field alternative maybe have a poke nose on filllpg site and see what the lpg situation is on your commute, if promising it might be interesting to search for lpg on the usual sales sites every few days and see what comes up, i got chopsing to a geezer (he'd have fitted in here well) filling his lpg'd S40 up a few months ago, half decent looking motor with a very recent conversion on it,  picked it up literally weeks before for £50 over your budget if me memory serves right, i was right bloody jealous.

Don't buy a car that is underpowered as you'll end up ragging it across country and achieve shite mpg.

I once bought an AX 1.4D is the hope of 78 mpg.

By the time I sold it 4 years later I was averaging about 45 mpg, due to it being the slowest pos and me wanting to get the 55 miles to (and 56 miles home) work quicker than 1 hour. That and the wider GT wheels (and tyres) so I didn't have to slow for bends.

I replaced it with a 1.4 mk3 astra 8V mpi which achieved 40 Mpg on the same run, in a quicker time.

Lots of good advice, thanks. Not dead set on a diesel, deffo happy with a petrol but do need decent mpgs, getting a small allowance for my additional travel costs and don't want to spend more if I don't have to, also be nice to be back in something shiteworthy, been a while since my Astra met it's maker

Will check the LPG situation

Oh yeah google reckons an hour each way

It was an hour each way for me, 38 miles each way.  The Peugeot 205 would get mostly driven economically but it would get a good thrash at some point during the day just to blow the cobwebs out, 50mpg was a minimum I think, probably 55mpg my maximum.

I recommend a radio with an mp3 input so you can listen to podcasts on your commute, by far the best thing for lowering stress levels on a long journey.  Taking the post earlier about a petrol car and 30mpg, that makes a shitload of difference when you're racking up 15-20,000 miles a year.  There weren't many overtaking possibilities on my route so the journey was never less than 55 minutes unless it was done at 6am, and 60 minutes was the slowest unless traffic was catastrophic.  Having a faster car doesn't make as much difference to journey times as you might think.

By contrast, I did it in 37 minutes on the motorbike once :-D  But that's not a long term strategy, because death.

You've got to ask yourself, do you want to drive 60 miles a day in a Peugeot 205? Really?

If you are going any distance you want at least a Astra size car. I had the displeasure recently of piloting a foul 2000 Corsa Diesel. The thought of driving it 60 miles a day is awful. You might save £3 a week on having a Astra/focus or whatever.

:) I'm genuinely not fussy, didn't think of a jazz, do they go that cheap?

500 sheets upwards. Will be an 02/03 in that end of the market and a manual. CVTs seem to fetch a fair chunk more.

Honda Jazzes seem really expensive for what they are

They can be. Some cheap stuff around though if you look hard.

Mind the Honda Jizz doesny have a spare wheel (sometimes a can of tyreweld just won't do...)...A Saxo/106

GDs have a spacesaver. Later ones have a can of tyre jizz. A Saxo/106 won't have a spare when local scrotes have clipped it from it's cradle. :P

"Magic Seats" give plenty of options for lugging "quality used spares" around. Band E tax (130quid). Giffer trinkets optional. Future shite material. Engine has 2 plugs per pot. Cam is chain drive. I do a 55-mile round trip to work in Mrs' one. Only out of necessity like. Honest guv.

Here endeth the advert from the Honda Motor Co. Ltd.

Astra Mk4s could be had with LPG from the factory. IIRC 'Dual Fuel' was the branding. Not sure about the Mk5s, I think they'd given up on promoting LPG by then due to it never taking off with fleets. They did Vectras as well around 1999-2002 but you're more likely to find an Astra.

Yep, you're right. IIRC you could get a Mk5 Astra Dualfuel but not many people did. Vectra C did as well IIRC.

Small diesels are no more economical than medium sized diesels. The bigger one will have more space and be more comfortable for the commute so its a no brainer. See 405/bx or mk4 golf based cars. If you want to occasionally overtake other cars get one with a turbo. Turbo diesel are no less economical than na, but are eleventy times better to drive.

A petrol will need nursing to get anywhere near the mpgs of a diesel.

That said, I recently bought a Toyota with a 1.5 petrol for my shortish (18 miles) run to the station. My reasoning was 45mpg and it gets to temp much quicker than a diesel, so I can have the heater on in winter before I've covered 10 miles.