Skizzer's XJ-S

Skizzer

Jags.

Bentley's.

Instead of a raffle, how about a sweep - the first person on here to have a car related nervous breakdown?

Who will be first to develop the inspector Dreyfuss- like twitch?

That's why I got rid of my Citroen c5. Waiting for the "bing" of doom gave me a nervous tick.

I'm far less stressed running an excessive 6 cylinder merc than an efficient modern euro box. My top tip- don't buy a car with an engine management light and warning chimes.

A LeSharo? Fucking hell. Distracted from the XJ-S for a moment there.

A LeSharo indeed.  It was HOT.  There was a gold Rover 800 Coupe kicking about as well - outside, so possibly a staffer's daily (I was distracted and forgot to ask).

Handbrake stuck on on mine. I was warned not to use it. Fly-off type that seemingly doesn't remarkably often.

Aye, the comedy bit was me trying to keep up with Ripper on the A484 while searching under the dash for a separate handle or pedal to release the bloody thing, like on the XJ6 or Chaseracer's Merc.  Bloody handbrakes. 

Unfortunately, 10 miles later the brake warning light is back, and the brakes are very faded.  They do work eventually but the pedal travel is looonnngggg.  Also the fuel gauge doesn't work (though there's a new sender and pump in a bag in the boot).

ALL UR WARNING LIGHTS R MINE:

21256773610_67c413b9b5_k.jpg1982 Jaguar XJ-S HE by Skizzer, on Flickr

This traffic jam picture means we've survived the journey through ruralshire though, even with marginal brakes, and are back on the outskirts of Swansea.  It's a good test and the engine doesn't show any signs of getting hot and bothered.  The oil pressure gauge drops right down at idle but I think that's normal on these?  The SD1 V8 does the same.

The cabin footwells get VERY hot though, even on the open roads before the traffic jam.  The dials suggest automatic climate control (wow) but obviously it doesn't work and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting fresh air in, apart from via the windows which thankfully work just fine.

A couple of extra warning lights come on for a while:  one appears to warn of impending lightning strike, and the other says a sidelight/tail light bulb is out even though they all light up.  Then the lights go away again so all is happy.

The steering is very light and the car doesn't feel too big in spite of all that bonnet.  It's very quiet, although the super-luxury ambience is slightly diminished by having to have the windows open.  Comfy seats.  Big thin-rimmed wheel to hang on to, with rather spiffy cat badge in the middle.

Like.  Bit scary though.  Wife also likes, but prefers the Renault 16.

More epic rain is forecast so I've put it away in the Big Shed for now:

21453359461_279a01f440_z.jpg

1982 Jaguar XJ-S HE by Skizzer, on Flickr

I have a meeting in Hampshire tomorrow and was hoping to take this, but galloping brake fade is a bit scary so the Audi is coming instead.  That just needs wheel bearings.  WCPGW?

Perhaps it just needs a brake fluid change? Anyway it can't be the end of the world- you have an xjs!

I would definitely agree about the brake fluid change, except it's apparently just had one.  It might respond to a bit of bleeding though.

Deffo not the end of the world!  Apart from maybe its contribution to global warming, obviously.

But I think you'll need someone to keep the SD1 fresh whilst you enjoy this, so just shout when you need me...!

They are surprisingly similar in a weird way.  Something about the steering, ride and having lots of torque.  The Jaguar would be awesome - in the true sense - with a manual gearbox.

Not sure if both can be long term keepers...

Aha, thanks.  I almost certainly boiled it.  It was briefly better after cooling down a bit on the ramps, but I didn't realise the fluid would never be the same again.  Should be an easy enough fix then, which is very good news - I shall attack it at the weekend.

Finally for now, here's a couple of slightly better photos of the good and bad bits:

21436770772_6a81889e22_k.jpg

Wheels and wheel arch: good by Skizzer, on Flickr

21259907298_497cb4a8a5_k.jpg

XJ *hyphen* S, please by Skizzer, on Flickr

21447772015_4853d27c0f_k.jpg

Boot: untidy by Skizzer, on Flickr

The headlining is definitely not pretty.  New one getting ordered tomorrow, including the skanky side bits.

21259708680_1eef2d5afd_k.jpg

Headlining: a bit* yucky by Skizzer, on Flickr

The rest of the interior is in really good order, though.  It's a really nice place to sit and think about global warming:

21421529946_6de6c42bd2_z.jpg

Jaguar XJ-S interior by Skizzer, on Flickr

21436781112_70d36c8299_z.jpg

Badge p*rn by Skizzer, on Flickr

That is awesome! Great looking car with a hell of an engine.

It looks lovely in that colour and the interior looks so comfy, sounds like the seller was decent too. I can't see anything not to like about this.

Sod the fuel economy thing, petrol's there for burning and the lower the mpg figure the better the car is!

I hope not, mate - flippin 80-odd quid it took to fill up, and it wasn't even empty.  I haven't looked to see how much it used on the way home, because I don't want to win the Inspector Dreyfus twitch contest.

Emmm.....

(Odo is in KM so divide those MPG and mileage figures by 1.6 for a proper answer)

In Other News...

PHWOAR!!! JAAAAAGGGG!!!!!

post-5330-0-10502000-1442351592_thumb.png

Those bowed pieces of ply will most likely have been liberated from a bed frame or some sort of furniture.

Off cuts from camper van lining, I think - that's the seller's family business. Nice job they do too, by the look of it.

Mr Fowler: that's quite frightening. I shall have nightmares about fill-ups now. No more sleeps, indeed - ever.

Aha, thanks.  I almost certainly boiled it.  It was briefly better after cooling down a bit on the ramps, but I didn't realise the fluid would never be the same again.  Should be an easy enough fix then, which is very good news - I shall attack it at the weekend.

Famous last words. I shall watch with interest to see how easy those inboard calipers are to bleed...

Fab. You do know it's a fly-off handbrake don't you? You certainly wouldn't be the first to get caught out by that on an XJ-S. I still recall it making the news section of Auto Express many, many years ago. Check the diff seals as if the inboard brakes get too hot, they can shag the seals, which then leak diff oil all over the brakes. Joy! In short, as you've discovered, handbrake best avoided. Hill starts, just keep your foot on the middle pedal.

Jags.

Bentley's.

Instead of a raffle, how about a sweep - the first person on here to have a car related nervous breakdown?

Who will be first to develop the inspector Dreyfuss- like twitch?

Chief Inspector Drefus did have a Jag (well Herbert Lom did, anyway)

121bb26_hljag_001.jpg

Here he is in his X300! http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Classic-Cars/Previous-results-holding-page/Blackbushe---Tues-7th-Oct-2008/1996-Jaguar-XJ6-Executive/

Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better...