Fugging bid retractions

wuvvum

One of the most annoying things with bidding on eBay is when you're outbid on an item, so you go off and buy another item, then the high bidder on the first item retracts their bid at the last minute leaving you the high bidder. It's just happened to me, and left me as winning bidder on something I really want but now can't afford. :roll:

Posted Image

It's tax exempt, it's got a year's test and it's an injection model - in fact it's only the autobox that stops it from being my dream Volvo. And it was bloody cheap too considering. Problem is that I'm now skint. Going to have to attempt some emergency tat saleage to see if I can raise the funds... :x

It's a wheelie bin isn't it?It's just an unfortunate angle.SKANDIX have started making the triple Weber manifolds up from old drawings for the B30 engines again.Looks like an early one as well.

Looks like an early one as well.

April '72 it was registered. I think it should be one of the last of the small-rear-light cars, although I don't have a picture of the back. The steering wheel looks huge though, so it's probably the pre-facelift model. I'm not sure when they changed over - my existing 164 is September '72 and that's the later one with the 240-style plastic dash and bigger rear light clusters (plus a much smaller steering wheel).

it looks rerally nice 8) are you sure you're not the victim of shill bidding though?if the bids were a bit static, the seller could get a friend to put a large bid on which will outbid the largest genuine bid and then when the auction has finished, gets in touch with the highest genuine bidder and say that the winning bidder has pulled out :evil: mind you, i don't think there are any unsrupulous traders on the fantasticly fair fleabay :oops::roll::twisted: john

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here: If you are outbid on ebay don't buy something else unless the auction has ended and you are not the winning bidder!

That's all very well in theory, but it's very limiting - it basically restricts you to bidding on one item at a time, and if you subsequently spot something else you like that finishes before the item you've been outbid on, you are essentially blocking yourself from bidding on that something else when the chances are you won't win the first item anyway.I will be emailing the seller and explaining the situation - that I thought I'd lost the car so spent the money elsewhere, and that it might take a few weeks to get the money together again. If they're understanding then fine - whether they want to hold the car for me or relist it. If they're not understanding and start filing umpaid item disputes etc. they're getting a big fat neg.

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned here: If you are outbid on ebay don't buy something else unless the auction has ended and you are not the winning bidder!

That's all very well in theory, but it's very limiting - it basically restricts you to bidding on one item at a time, and if you subsequently spot something else you like that finishes before the item you've been outbid on, you are essentially blocking yourself from bidding on that something else when the chances are you won't win the first item anyway.I will be emailing the seller and explaining the situation - that I thought I'd lost the car so spent the money elsewhere, and that it might take a few weeks to get the money together again. If they're understanding then fine - whether they want to hold the car for me or relist it. If they're not understanding and start filing umpaid item disputes etc. they're getting a big fat neg.
You can't neg the seller for what is essentially your mistake. You can't hold a genuine seller responsible for their bidder's last minute retractions. eBay won't be sympathetic as what you have done is against eBay buyer policies. Check your eBay terms and conditions if in any doubt. Sorry mate but it's a lesson learned.

You can't neg the seller for what is essentially your mistake. You can't hold a genuine seller responsible for their bidder's last minute retractions. eBay won't be sympathetic as what you have done is against eBay buyer policies. Check your eBay terms and conditions if in any doubt. Sorry mate but it's a lesson learned.

Actually what the high bidder did is against eBay buyer policies. His excuse for retracting was "entered wrong amount" - and he didn't notice this until six days after placing his bid? Puh-leaze! If you retract a bid because you entered the wrong amount, you are also required to re-enter the correct amount immediately, which he didn't do. I'm afraid this has all the hallmarks of a seller trying to run me up - hence my raising the possibility of leaving him a negative feedback if he gets arsey. If he is genuine, I am sure that this will become apparent during our exchange of emails, and if he is genuine, I am also sure that under the circumstances he will not mind holding on for a little while to allow me time to re-raise the cash. We shall see what we shall see.

You can't neg the seller for what is essentially your mistake.
What mistake was that? You get outbid, you bid on something else, which you win, fair and square, pay up and get your item - then the item you were outbid on has a shonky bid retraction - so your donald ducked and have to buy both???? If you get negged for that or get an eBay dispute put to you then that in itself is wrong - if it happened at Manheim or BCA then it wouldn't come back to you, end of...