Chod North East. Spotting through time.

Jim Bell

Not far from Scary Towers.

Consett front road?

mFhpqKJ.jpg

Front Street , Consett. Around about Christmas 1979 or early new year. A year later that mass of smoke and steam from ‘the works’ would be gone and never to return. Some called it a scruffy little town but it was a great place to live, full of characters and total nutters.

Sorry, as mentioned i’m new to this and as such reserve the right to bugger things ups on my very first post !!!

The message should have read chod bins and not child bins. Doh !!

TBF when I read 'child bins' it brought back memories of us 'borrowing' wheelie bins as kids on bin day when they were empty and racing/wheeling each other round in them.

Proper wholesome Northern childhood sport IME, I just assumed that's what you were referring to.

Front Street , Consett. Around about Christmas 1979 or early new year. A year later that mass of smoke and steam from ‘the works’ would be gone and never to return. Some called it a scruffy little town but it was a great place to live, full of characters and total nutters.

And then you fled in the middle of the night to the South Coast?

Is the provvy man still looking for you round Consett?

TBF when I read 'child bins' it brought back memories of us 'borrowing' wheelie bins as kids on bin day when they were empty and racing/wheeling each other round in them.

Proper wholesome Northern childhood sport IME, I just assumed that's what you were referring to.

You were obviously posh - we had to make do with planks of wood, string and some nicked pram wheels for our transport , not ready made luxury like a wheelie bin. Our stuff looked lethal, were more dangerous than they appeared and were called bogies - so you can picture what they were like. Get what you mean about child bins though, it’s a good idea and I’ll give ours a try when my son comes in .

Nah, I was hijacked Jim. Company I was working for asked me to go down south to help set up their new area office. Said I would be only needed down there for about 3 months they did and 30 years later they still refuse to let me go home. Not that I’m special or anything like that - it’s just they can’t get any one else to work there. I wanna go home !!!

The provvy man kept on getting mugged in Consett , so they do it all online now but who’s line they use I have no idea. I think someone kept on nicking his horse and cart too.

Nah, I was hijacked Jim. Company I was working for asked me to go down south to help set up their new area office. Said I would be only needed down there for about 3 months they did and 30 years later they still refuse to let me go home. Not that I’m special or anything like that - it’s just they can’t get any one else to work there. I wanna go home !!!

The provvy man kept on getting mugged in Consett , so they do it all online now but who’s line they use I have no idea. I think someone kept on nicking his horse and cart too.

Ha ha ha, I bet you the sea is (slightly) warmer down there. There cant be many people left in Consett that have had the same job for 30 years!

Ha ha ha, I bet you the sea is (slightly) warmer down there. There cant be many people left in Consett that have had the same job for 30 years!

........ and I also had to leave Consett ( and Newcastle ) to achieve it !!

Probably saved my liver and driving licence though Jim - had a fondness for the night life in the Toon - Fitzgeralds, Julie’s, Stage Door and nurses etc. Not as much fun down here though, and the people are certainly more reserved. Never really settled myself down down here.

Consett is a healthy place to live now, no red dust and they don’t get pink snow anymore ( but still lots of snow ) and I’ll go back when I retire in about 6 years time and bugger my liver up then.

• 1 month later...

^ A sight you don't see everyday.

You can just imagine Bill and Doris sitting at the little table in the back of the Commer having tea and cake whilst it's being hoisted aboard. 'Oh don't mind us, we're fine'.

With the curtains closed maybe even join the 'Ten Yard High Club'.

"Brace yourself Doris, we won't have long".

The peak of the parabola timed to perfection, so to speak.

"Oh Bill, I love your Commer".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been fairly randomly sent two pics separately and recently. They are both taken facing the same way about 100 yards apart so perhaps at the same time.

post-17633-0-91455000-1549189453_thumb.jpg

Redcar High St late 1970's. I don't think the freestyle Imp parking would be happening today. Whats the Yank further down the street?

post-17633-0-52689000-1549189681_thumb.jpg

United Redcar bus station, 1975 ish. A Bristol RE single decker approx 1971 and a Bristol Lodekka double decker from about 5 years earlier. Within a year or so I would be probably be working on those two! 

Finally managed to get a transfer back up to the frozen lands after 30 odd years in the beautiful south and have secured a hoose in Shotley Bridge. Please don’t tell Provi man that I’m back please Jim - lord knows what the interest will be on 30 year old £30 provi loan will be .

I've been fairly randomly sent two pics separately and recently. They are both taken facing the same way about 100 yards apart so perhaps at the same time.

attachicon.gifFeb 2019 019.jpg

Redcar High St late 1970's. I don't think the freestyle Imp parking would be happening today. Whats the Yank further down the street?

attachicon.gifAS 018.jpg

United Redcar bus station, 1975 ish. A Bristol RE single decker approx 1971 and a Bristol Lodekka double decker from about 5 years earlier. Within a year or so I would be probably be working on those two! 

60,olds I recon.

Finally managed to get a transfer back up to the frozen lands after 30 odd years in the beautiful south and have secured a hoose in Shotley Bridge. Please don’t tell Provi man that I’m back please Jim - lord knows what the interest will be on 30 year old £30 provi loan will be .

I would think conservatively it'll be in the low millions by now. So maybe wear a different hat and talk in a Belgian accent if anyone knocks at the door.

I would think conservatively it'll be in the low millions by now. So maybe wear a different hat and talk in a Belgian accent if anyone knocks at the door.

Ha ha ha - good idea Jim. I’ll grow a tache and beard too !! If they still persist I might go transgender as it’s a lot of money at stake

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...