Peugeot 405 1.9TD - Going Home.

Jim Bell

Many thanks to Richard Moss for posting the FS thread and to his FIL for showing me round the garage/workshop.

Today's collection is brought to you by the letter P.
P is for Peugeot, and the number 50.
50 is the speed limit on most of the A1.

I left for the one hour drive to collect at 1300 this afternoon and I have just got back in the door. Love driving this car. Its effortless and comfortable.

Money:

uRJ3Qu9.jpg

var3nLy.jpg

So we have here for your delectation and delight, a Peugeot 405 1.9 TD GTX. Highly specced with a wood knob, air con, electric everything and correct alloy wheels.

The centres for these wheels are renowned for falling out and disappearing. If you have an engineering mind, you could probably do something about that:

nApsZ6E.jpg

Like tap the wheel and fit two hex bolts to each rim to hold them on. I like this.

Interior:

xsBpGZK.jpg

2KsdiiF.jpg

TXloxDu.jpg

NYDOeNZ.jpg

Handy drink hole

p86FBwD.jpg

This bottom left gauge is apparently oil level. It goes to full with IGN then goes to empty and never moves again?!? (there plenty of oil in the car)

WDhzPg3.jpg

D0Wnpov.jpg

Original ICE including SMOKE A TAB button.

goOaTwK.jpg

Sliding Load cover:

xaJ1cEq.jpg

hwESoW5.jpg

Please ignore the bag full of sixties shooters.

More exterior.

IvEUykQ.jpg

72KdS3b.jpg

hTACkp4.jpg

wK112M9.jpg

The colour is outstanding in the sunlight. Its blue or grey depending on which angle you look at it from, but it looks lovely from all angles.

UWVCzMt.jpg

dKfltTT.jpg

UC64c5v.jpg

XUD9 With Bosch pump. Which the owner told me that makes some people want to run it on chip fat!!

OFBVtFs.jpg

And finally home:

Vus8TUA.jpg

Its a lovely thing. And I like it very much.

The clutch is exhibiting similar symptoms to the 305 and 306 I have had in the past. It pulls fine and doesnt slip, but there a judder on pulling away (even at moderate revs, and worse in reverse) and the pedal travel is short and stiff.
Pug clutches seem to go like this for some reason so its something to address in the future but absolutely fine to enjoy as is for the time being.

I will be changing the plates so something in a more pleasing font, without flags, as a matter of urgency.

Many thanks again to Richard Moss and the vendor David.

Wow, the original owner lived in the town where I spent the first 18 years of my life. In fact when I returned I lived about a quarter mile from that house. Not bad to say it's a tiny little shithole, not like "oooh they were from London, I lived in London too".

I don't know quite what I'm appalled at more. The price of delivery, or the price of the sunroof.

Gonna give it a good clean today, hardly exciting but always nice to do when you get a new car. I think anyway.

When I picked the car up, the radio was tuned to Classic fm. I'm no fan of classical music but I left it on as it seemed to fit the mood and the journey home after collection. I enjoyed barreling along to the sounds of strings and parps and harps. A bit of the old classical really suits the car.

This takes my breath away with its ICD Roadhandling System.

I had to look that up, apparently Peugeot designed the chassis first and fitted the body around it... Don't all car makers do that?

They were rightfully proud of their cars' "roadhandling" at that time, they are lovely to drive. The 405 saloon probably has the best ride, handling and steering feel balance of any car I've driven.

That looks a cracker. Ditto everyone else on the oil gauge - my first XM's confused the hell out of me. Also - I had an XM with similar clutch behaviour. It was recently fitted and behaved as you describe. One thing I found was that it was perfectly smooth when cold. As soon as the car had warmed up - it was horrible. Never found out why - sorry :(