Motoring Chaos! (Part 2)

After enjoying my DVD of "Duel" for the second time in as many days, I looked outside to see a horrifying sight - a load of snow everywhere. Which is all well and good unless your driveway is on a slope. Balls! I need to go to work tomorrow, so as much as I don't want to (seeing as it was just a bit past midnight) I really need to get the Galant out, I can't be faffing around in the morning. After a lot of spade action, gentle wheelspinning and the assistance of a neighbour pushing at the front, a 1am victory was celebrated.

Posted Image

Note the erratic route, though I'm pleased that I managed not to scrape it on anything.

Posted Image

Success! Just need to load some more crap into the boot in the morning, then I'll have some traction.

Moral of the story: I am a cretin.

Pah!can beat you there, tiny powdering of snow on the floor, must be about an eighth of an inch thick, but you an bet that the Evening Post will have headlines alon the linesof "Chaos on Lancashire Roads".Not like proper snow we used to get when I was a kid.

There have been so many hysterical stories illustrated by pictures where the snow doesn't even cover the ground like these that I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me. Snow isn't like a recession, you can't make it happen by repeatedly reporting it on the news.

Hirsts pictures qualify as snow but most of the ones I've seen on the news don't.

Well I found it pretty tough getting from home near Maidenhead to Woking in Surrey this morning. Setting off at 0545 I found that most of the minor roads between my village and Bracknell appeared untreated - the 240 was all over the place on some sections. The nearer I got to Woking the worse the snow was - my final 2 miles was really tough and I nearly got stuck in a couple of places. I saw some really interesting driving techniques - such as being overtaken by a BMW on the A322 which must have been doing 60. He dissapeared off into the swirling mists - probably in a hedge by now.Looking out of the office window it doesnt seem to be easing any.............

Got up early this morning to have a look, could be worse, certainly not the horror story the news has made out. Worst snow in 20 years or something, not sure on what basis.

Posted Image

Wiped the snow off and it fired up first time, nice job! Took it for a drive round the estate enjoying some 2nd gear slides, I know it's a bit of a cliché, soz. Have phoned in and booked the day off out of my own time though - whilst I reckoned there was a good chance I'll get to work without issue (as I was up early), the problem is getting home after the buildup of people who don't "get" snow and crash their car into things messing up the roads for later.

Quite a funny situation really - the untreated country backroads don't bother me half as much as people who regularly drive them take it easy. It's the people hammering along on busier roads and stack their cars into stuff! Maybe they shouldn't send the gritters out.

We've had about 3-4" here. I left for work at 7.15 and got there at 8 - normally it takes me 20 minutes. The A-road to Basingstoke that goes up hill and down dale - usually the tricky part in such weather, as they don't grit it and then all the 38-tonners slide backwards on the inclines - was fine. Basingstoke ring road and the M3, on the other hand - chaos.Got to the office to find only one other car in the car park - this in an office of 1100 people. Then found a voicemail from my boss telling me to work from home today. So after some consultation with him I've returned back home again.Usual stuff of "laws of physics > ABS, TC etc" seen on the roads. A 53-plate Punto did a fantastic 360 in front of me coming to rest in a layby - I applauded the driver as I chugged past. He didn't seem to like that much.Meant to be going to Glasgow tomorrow but as both runways at Heathrow are closed, this looks unlikely. Ho hum. Not sure this is a patch on the last "big" snow of '91, but there you are.

LOL. GMTV are reporting this like it's the coming of the apocalypse or something. I am quite pleased to be 'resting' this week (though being paid is nice too). Just taken the poglets to ,,,skool,,, which is unsurprisingly the only school in the county which is actually open, much to the little peoples disgust. :lol:

From our local council's website:

The scheduled refuse (black bin), organics (green bin) and recycling (blue and black boxes) services have been suspended today

Update 7.40am - Confirmed: Schools are now closed today

Update: 8.20am All Libraries closed today

Update 8.35am Leisure Services in BarnetGrahame Park All Weather Pitch – the pitch will be closed today.

Update 9.15am - Registrars Office is closed

To summarise: END OF TEH WORLD!!!!

"The children" are currently outside, pelting the postie with snowballs. ROFL. That'll teach him for coming round before the usual 3pm.I wish I still had a RWD car kicking about, it'd be GR8 to go and mess around in a deserted carpark somewhere. Enjoyed some "pendulum" cornering action with the 405's handbrake where it was safe and quiet, but not really the same...Anyway, what is it with the florid dickheads who don't clear the snow off the roof of their cars? It's like driving into a blizzard when you are behind them, grr.

Walked to the petrol station and saw some comical/terrifying driving on the way: a Merc E-Class diesel with its headlights obscured wheelspinning down the road, some kind of US-spec Chevy pickup powering around a T-junction at 20mph and narrowly avoiding the kerb, a French-plate AX (!) propelling itself into busy traffic and being lucky to find itself a slot, some daft bint in an Astra going down the main road about 1cm from the kerb launching slush everywhere. The majority of cars didn't even have the snow cleared off them properly, just jump in and turn the wipers on, nice work!

Im actually really tempted to go out for a drive on some local streets in the Herald bearing in mind its got proper winter/snow tyres on it and a brief test a few weeks ago on a snowy farm track showed them to be really quite good! Would love to cruise around 4x4-ville past the 18" low profile shod mummies.

Oh I do love the "ooh, snow is soft and fluffy so I'll just stick the wipers on" mentality. GREAT 4 BUSTED LINKAGES.Biggest issue I had (we had a light dusting of snow) was the frozen washer fluid and, when that finally thawed out, the frozen wiper blades!Still at a loss to know why one van was doing 20mph in a 40mph that was completely ice free. At least he was being careful (although he may have been eating a bacon sandwich as he still almost managed to mount the kerb...)I'm in the Subaru today, not because I'm one of those going "Oooh, I've got 4x4 so I can do 70 on sheet ice" but because I'll be less gutted if some dopey wuckfit drives into it.

We have a light dusting here in Norwich - 1/2 inch at the most on the pavements. All roads are totally fine an yet it was traffic chaos this morning.

How can this be? All the schools are closed. Only half the people hare have turned up. There should be no traffic! It's just absurd.

Still, a least being the first into the office car park this morning allowed for a minute or two of sillyness:

Posted Image

Guest greenvanman

I've said it before but SNOW CHAOS ON UK ROADS is fine by me, it's got me the day off work once again. The Astra certainly deserves a day off after yesterday's 500-mile scooter shite collection mission to Kent anyway. I did think that lugging two fat blokes and a 400 Burgman over that distance might finish the clutch off but not a chance! Shedtastic.

Got about 2 inches or so at home. Came out of the house about half 6 this morning to clear the snow off the car. Bumped into my neighbour who told me this is only the start of it and we'll have A FOOT of snow come Friday.O RLY? I don't think so somehow.Took an extra half hour for my morning chug to Liverpool, not much snow here but did manage to get a couple of bits of sideways action (borrowed a RWD Merc C class for the weekend y'see) :lol: To hear the radio you would think that life as we know it had come to a stop though what with all the NATIONAL CHAOS that is being screamed about :roll:

Well we have a couple of inches here in shitesville, untreated roads and arseholes that cant drive :roll: have given me endless moments of plesure so far today and the ole P100 sure is light on the back end 8):lol::lol: even saw a 4x4 lose it in a car park and scare the driver to death, feckin hillarious.......gonna see if I can go play again later.

Bloody snow, normally after 6 12 hour shifts I relax in bed allday, but the schools closed so all I can hear is 2 girls coming in and out :lol:

As for snow chaos I managed to go Slough to Essex last night in 5 series without stuffing it, the traction warning light gave me an epeletic fit however.

Snow tyres? Pussies :lol: I have chains in the boot 8)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Glad I took the day off now! I would never have gotten to see a neighbour spend probably an hour clearing his driveway with a spade, then go inside looking smug, only for there to be a sudden snow shower to completely undo his work just 5 minutes later. Better luck next time!

I was hardly affected by the snow at all. My journey to work this morning took about five minutes longer than usual - there was virtually no traffic so once I was out of my ungritted estate I was bowling along at 55-60, but for the last couple of miles I was stuck behind a woman in a mk3 Astra doing 40 (although that happens when it's dry too). Colt fired up first flip of the key as always and behaved impeccably, even on the slippery roads around my house. It actually grips surprisingly well in the snow. Had I been up earlier I would have taken the P6 out for a bit of sideways fun (I think the 300ZX would be a little overpowered for the conditions, seeing as that goes sideways in the dry) but I'm much too lazy to get up early on a Monday. It's still snowing now, but I don't think it's settling too much so fingers crossed I'll get home in reasonable time tonight.