Malta Chod

Stevebrookman

Especially since it's 100% motorway.

Packing my bag now.... K-seal/pair of tights/sheet of cork gasket/lead additive/driving gloves + RayBans....

I'll have an SL90 Viva please.....

Oh >> just remembered >> 'Tyre Black' for reinvigorating the billiard smooth crossplies.....

8)  TS

Malta used to be chod heaven due to having VRT tests that were bi-annual and notoriously lenient.

When I lived down there, one of my neighbours ran a gloriously shite Marina diesel (featuring 1500cc B-series POWAH) that was the closest thing to an isopon monocoque that I've ever seen ! It would have never passed a French CT, let alone a British MoT, but sailed through its VRT year after year.

Things are supposed to be more strict nowadays, but there's still plenty of deathtraps around.

Yeah, the place was full of ex-UK commercial vehicles, including the bin lorries.

Bin collection time for my street was early in the morning, so the huge Scammells always offered a most pleasant* wake up call... A good start to a shite-tastic day, which was normally followed by an exciting bus ride to work in an early Plaxton Panorama !

We went to Malta when we were kids - I really need to go back there again. The old buses went a few years back didn't they? As for decent old chod, anything tidy and worth anything has ended up/is on the way to UK shores via egay isn't it? The sheer amount of Maltese imports heading to the UK seems to be big business.

:ssch00101:

What no photos???

I can only assume your camera either broke / was stolen / dropped down the toilet.

This has generated way more interest on here than any other spotting thread I can think of in recent years, though, except maybe Bucketeer's. All the others just drop straight off the front page - even yours, and certainly mine.

Clearly the secret is not to bother taking any pictures.

I got married in Malta then the next day raced a bus and another car in what can only be described as a fucked Starlet through a very narrow arch outside Valletta, I won!

Always liked the buses and it was sad when they went same with the scrappage thing (someone posted a pic a bit back and it had loads of quality* stuff in it) but they wanted to be all big and posh and join the EU with its millions of stupid rules. What's wrong with just doing what you do best and being happy with what you've got

IAlways liked the buses and it was sad when they went same with the scrappage thing (someone posted a pic a bit back and it had loads of quality* stuff in it) but they wanted to be all big and posh and join the EU with its millions of stupid rules. What's wrong with just doing what you do best and being happy with what you've got

From the tourist's perspective, the bus system was lovely and quirky. Waiting at the bus stop for an hour and being deliberately given the wrong change by the drivers was part of the "Malta experience", and the lack of heating and damp seats was an "adventure".

For those of us that actually needed to use the bus to get to work, the novelty wore off pretty quickly. In this case, the system didn't change because of the EU, it changed because the old system was rubbish.