1989 'G' E34 BMW 525i SE £1200

laser wheels

No big hurry but thought I would stick this up here first just in case anyone is interested. Ex-JohnK E34. I'm the third owner and it has 106,000 on the clock. JRG (DVLA say bronze but they are WRONG!) with brown interior. Leccy windows, leccy sunroof and power steering.

Just had new oil and filter as well as an air filter this week and I've got a set of spark plugs ready to go in when I get the time. It doesn't need them but it's just the sort of thing I like to do whenever I get a new motor. It's also had a new crank sensor (which it turns out it didn't need either but, hey, it's done now) and an ignition coil (which it most definitely did need).

MOT is due in October.

I'll get new piccies once I've finished polishing and waxing.

I know it's not really shite money but it's a good'un and good'uns seem to be getting hard to find. As I say no big hurry just thought I would let it be known 'round the manor that it's available for those that might want it.

As said there's really not many early ones of these left. They're just coming out that old banger phase and to be getting quite popular(ish).

We do however need pictures. Lots of pictures.

EDIT- BOOM

13B59199-0B59-48CE-B0C7-B45AC84A89B0_zps

A1D1FAD3-E67D-41AF-A65A-7A25881EA90F_zps

43AE4E31-C0CA-4783-8B03-F0231384D34A_zps

78897DFF-29A4-4DB6-A76B-66E24EA83694_zps

Pretty much looks as here but now moar shiny and with a set of roundels on the way from ebay to replace the scruffy ones on the wheels at present. Other than that though the wheels are in top nick with barely any signs of corrosion or kerbage at all - not bad for a quarter century!

In terms of comfort and ease of conveyance these are only outclassed by an xj40.

But on reliability, frugality and availability of spare parts they far outshine the xj40.

WOULD (and have done repeatedly)

best of luck with the sale!

What he said.

Parts I have been pleasantly surprised to find are very un-luxury like in price. Service parts for example no more expensive than a Ford of the same vintage and being old skool M20 engine very easy to work on so very good for the home spannerist. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Updatez!

Had it down to my local tester for pre-MOT health check who advised it would fail on two points - one headlight beam a bit low so needs adjusting (easy) and he actually managed to find one small bit of rust. After much pokage he made a hole just big enough to get a couple of fingers in (missus!) in the nearside sill just behind the front wheel. Drats! He did however confirm that the rest of the car is as solid as initially thought. He also said there woiuld be a couple of advisories - a small spot of corrosion on a brake pipe and the outer skin of the back box is corroded but otherwise sound. This I knew about, so no surprises their, and the brake pipe he advised just needed a quick dab of paint or grease...

So, over to my friendly backstreet gadgy who popped a small patch and some fresh underseal on the sill and a bit of copper grease on the brake pipe. £30 well spent and once I've sorted out the lights I'll pop it in for it's MOT at the end of month. Was tempted to just do it now, but if I wait a couple of weeks I can get the full 13 months. So that is what I'll do.

Although this is still techncially for sale I'm at that point where I can either let it go now or keep it and spend a few quid making it really nice. We will see what happens. At least now I have the Daewoo of Win I don't have to worry about abusing this over the winter. :)

If measured in terms of how good they are at being a car, these are among the very best cars ever built. But it ain't no Sierra Ghia.

I took one of these in PX once for the value of its (then refundable) RFL, and made £70 profit by selling the Pioneer stereo to one of the workshop technicians.

265k up and it could still tailgate like an Olympic tailgating champion. Driver's seatback would randomly drop to a horizontal position though, which made for an eventful drive home.

Cross-spoke wheels look great. Good Luck With Not Selling At All Because You Like It Too Much.

f23b8ddd77a4c3bf2c655dbe0c2e0d01.jpg

I have had two of these fine chariots that's one of them.

I bought that with the low coolant showing on the obc and though It would just be the sender or something.

Wrong... Hgf.....

The other one I crashed showing of to a ex girlfriend.

This would be third time lucky

Anyhow sure you don't want a 260bhp+ Saab 9-5???????????

I still have my June 1988 BMW dealer invite to the E34 launch all those years ago. As the covers were pulled off the two cars in the showroom, you could hear the collective groan from the Approved Used E28's parked outside.

They hark back to simpler times when BMW's were mainly driven by Men of Means. A local farmer called John Smith put an order in for a Diamond black 520i Auto, E reg with steel wheels. It wouldn't pull your foreskin back, but it was such a perfectly designed and executed car and the build quality was just in another league compared to stuff like the Rover 800.