Solent Shiters - Hovercraft museum Lee-On-Solent

Stanky

I'm learning. Slowly.

Thanks to previous weather-related fiascos, I'm thinking of something indoors this time.

As we in the south can only dream of the endless joys of Cannock Auctions, as reported on here by our more northerly disciples, I wondered whether there would be any appetite to assemble at Southampton Motor Auction one night for some lols, partially cooked meat* and some shit cars.

I've been along several times while out of work a few years back as something to do of an evening, and its pretty good. They have a live catalogue online so you know what treats you are in for and there is some passable shite in the mix of ex NHS staff cars and repmobile finance repossessions.

We could even add some extra fun by ripping off the game idea Sloth in a bowl concocted where you choose a few cars to fit in certain crappy 'requirements' categories and whoever gets the lowest total cost based on hammer price wins the grudging respect of everyone else for a few minutes.

Website is http://www.southamptonmotorauction.com/

They do mondays and thursdays at 7pm and there is free parking opposite. Well, you're supposed to pay but no-one ever did when i went.

Just an idea - opinions welcome.

I would be up for a bit of this! See they had a Rover Unwise up there tonight and what I thought was a previously unheard of Renault 6TS but unfortunately it turned out to be a Mazda. Haven't been to a Soton auction since the Southern Road days of £30 Cortinas. Need to avoid a football night as well - Saints stadium is in the most car-unfriendly part of the town and just up the road.

We could even add some extra fun by ripping off the game idea Sloth in a bowl concocted where you choose a few cars to fit in certain crappy 'requirements' categories and whoever gets the lowest total cost based on hammer price wins the grudging respect of everyone else for a few minutes.

It's usually verbal abuse and a selection of hand gestures, but you're on the right road.

Avoid any and all Mercedes...  :lol:

I would be up for a bit of this! See they had a Rover Unwise up there tonight and what I thought was a previously unheard of Renault 6TS but unfortunately it turned out to be a Mazda. Haven't been to a Soton auction since the Southern Road days of £30 Cortinas. Need to avoid a football night as well - Saints stadium is in the most car-unfriendly part of the town and just up the road.

Wasn't that the place they built the swanky new cop HQ on some years ago?

Is the auction now (still?) on the Belvedere Road? I haven't been in years as I liked the old site but the one they moved to (are still at?) was too cramped with poor parking.

If so, would agree - avoid football days as the knuckle-draggers will be out in force wandering all over the road.

Thanks for the positive reception - I'll consult the football calendar and see when I'm free and post up some potential dates on here later.

There is a fairly large car park literally just opposite and probably more parking nearby though its a bit of a skuddy part of town so possibly better to leave cars in well lit car parks than dark back streets!

I went along a few times and there are lots of people who are 'just looking' - the last time I went I met a couple of lads who were just there to see what one was like. I think they were going up to blackbushe a few weeks later to actually bid on stuff but wanted to see what it was all about. I did spent the whole time standing very still with my hands in my pockets, but judging by everyone else you need to really wave your arms about if you actually want to buy something.

Could be a fun game of gesture brinkmanship where you try and move your arms about without being spotted as a bidder by the auctioneer though. Loser gets a broken Rover streetwise.

Thursdays are probably less busy for me too and can escape from work on time more easily.

I'll see what days I'm allowed out.

EDITED TO ADD

the 27th Aug (next thursday) and the 3rd Sept (the week after) are both football-free days, are either of them any good for people? The 3rd would probably be preferable for me but can do either.

Edited by Stanky

I used to buy chod from there at least twice a week. The best times were the late '90s when it was at the docks, and Concept Cars at Fareham were doing huge business and all their p/ex's were sent to SMA with no reserve. We were buying 7-10 year old Rover 200's, Sierra's, Cavaliers, Montego's  etc. with loads of MoT and tax for around £300 each and selling them on after a T-Cut and vacuum for around £300 profit a few days later. It was easy money.

Sadly, the place has declined since it moved to Millbank with a lack of punters seeing cars barely make the reserve as the auctioneer desperately takes bids from the rubber plant, fire extinguisher and 3rd empty seat on the right in a bid to engage apathetic punters.

If you're gonna bid for something, stand at the back and look and see who is actually bidding because you may well be bidding against the toilet door.

Wasn't that the place they built the swanky new cop HQ on some years ago?

Is the auction now (still?) on the Belvedere Road? I haven't been in years as I liked the old site but the one they moved to (are still at?) was too cramped with poor parking.

If so, would agree - avoid football days as the knuckle-draggers will be out in force wandering all over the road.

Polis buro is indeed adjacent to the old Car Auction. Its actually on the site of the old Heinz warehouse (latterly Norman Offer Transport). The auction site was next door which is now an extension of the dock facility (used to be the Brain's depot now its Pentalver). Opposite, on the West Quay Road junction used to be real, live Heliport and the chod-filled yard of Star Transporters who used to keep and prepare banger racers there - not much better condition than their tractor units. I hate Now.

Right, assemble in the car park at half 6 tomorrow? I'll be in the Saab, what will other people be driving along in so we can identify one another? For those who've not had the displeasure of meeting me before I'm about 6 foot tall, bald and have a lip ring and beatnik beard.