Autoshite Tool Borrow

Station

I know the feeling Mr cav.

Hydraulic log splitter came back split in half,

Engine crane came back after 8 months with a leaking ram due to rust, must have been left outside extended,

Welder came back dented and regulator broken and covered in black sealer,

New hvlp spray gun came back dented with vice marks and chocked with hard paint as hadn't been cleaned,

3 ton trolley jack twisted to fook,

Carpet cleaner full of white powder and smelling a bit burnt,

That's the extent of the large tools I have had lost spanners sockets and various other tools missing snapped bent,

I still lend stuff out but I am a bit more choosy these days.

how do you bend a 3 tonne Jack? They Must have been doing something stupid.

You jack a heavy vehicle up without chocking the wheels and it rolls back.

even still, I would expect it to fall,off and leave the Jack undamaged. I have sadly witnessed some stupidity over the years but those things take a lot of abuse usually. He must have been a complete muppet.

I absolutely don't loan tools out anymore, even a 50p screwdriver.

As others have said, all too often they get fooked / not come back / other such twattery. If you're lucky, I pop round with a tool and go home with it.

However, to fellow 'shiters, I will make an exception and lend this set of spanners out....

20532255933_05d67c1cb3_z.jpg

FOAD's picture is a calendar contender I think.

I'm in Bedfordshire, midway between MK, Luton and Bedford so in fact not very close to any of them.  I have the usual hand tools, an ancient MIG welder and enough swearing vocabulary that I can avoid repetition for about 10 minutes.

I'm just down the road from Gareth.  hmm, things i have that might be useful....

mig welder, inverter arc welder, trolley jacks, various hand tools, electrical knowledge, and mechanical fuckwittery.  also battery tools, compressors and stuff.

availability is hit and miss, as working too much at the moment.  but if youre stuck and local, usually happy to help 8)

Lee

Seeing this has reminded me. The micra may need a sparkle stick tickle come mot time. Anyone on here near derby or suggest anyone quiet cheap to put a patch on the end of the sill in the rear wheel arch? I'm toying with the idea of buying a cheap welder if I keep the micra. I have a feeling it may come in handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Have I already posted in here? Can't remember. Anyway, I'm not so keen on sending tools off, but if people are nearby and need to do things like changing springs on a Mercedes, I'm happy to pop over and lend a hand and special tools if I've got 'em (like the coil compressor for Mercs). Also have Carsoft and BMW INPA and know roughly what I'm doing with 'em.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

WANTED:

Anybody willing to lend me an A-frame?

I'm moving house imminently and my Beetle is a non-runner.  I could tow it, but would prefer to 'frame if poss, especially as I can do it single-handed then.  Distance, only about five miles, if that.

I'm in Coventry but will be visiting Yorkshire and Buckinghamshire next weekend.

FWIW I'm not a twat and won't break it or take years to return it.

Thanks!

Not sure whereabouts in Yorkshire you're headed or indeed how we'd get it back but if you get stuck, I've got one sat here that hasn't been used for a year or two (or three) and I'm only just over the border from Yorkshire into Lancs.

Only other thing is it's an ex-RAC jobbie so needs a towing pin rather than a ball. Having said that, I've probably got a towing pin/ball thing that you could take as well...just need to undo the two 27mm bolts and swap it other.

Ironically, it hasn't been used since I moved from Cov to Burnley. I'd have left it at yours if I'd known...

WANTED:

Anybody willing to lend me an A-frame?

I'm moving house imminently and my Beetle is a non-runner.  I could tow it, but would prefer to 'frame if poss, especially as I can do it single-handed then.  Distance, only about five miles, if that.

I'm in Coventry but will be visiting Yorkshire and Buckinghamshire next weekend.

FWIW I'm not a twat and won't break it or take years to return it.

Thanks!

i can borrow my mates SOLID* bar if needed for a plan B situation (as long as beatle has towing eye)

2" square bar not the maypole type

i can borrow my mates SOLID* bar if needed for a plan B situation (as long as beatle has towing eye)

Those maypole sprung bars are Fucking awful.

I used my Clarke sprung one twice, never again!

I gave it to a chap on the Arseface PoL page, he's had great fun* with it apparently. I'll stick to an old tie/chain of socks/manky bit of rope etc.

Not sure whereabouts in Yorkshire you're headed or indeed how we'd get it back but if you get stuck, I've got one sat here that hasn't been used for a year or two (or three) and I'm only just over the border from Yorkshire into Lancs.

Only other thing is it's an ex-RAC jobbie so needs a towing pin rather than a ball. Having said that, I've probably got a towing pin/ball thing that you could take as well...just need to undo the two 27mm bolts and swap it other.

Ironically, it hasn't been used since I moved from Cov to Burnley. I'd have left it at yours if I'd known...

I'll be in Shipley this Saturday, so not a million miles away. I also pass Burnley pretty frequently with work so could maybe sort something out.

Cheers, I have the means to tow (no towing eye, just loop a strap round the front beam!) but could do to be able to move it single-handed.

Mine is available but is currently at my unit in Nantwich

Thanks Mr_B.

Cheers for the offers all, I don't have a moving date yet so will PM as and when I know I'm going to need it (i.e. when the various solicitors involved pull their fingers out!).

• 9 months later...

BUMP 4 A REEL FRED

I kinda need to do the cambelt on my C8 but I don't really want to be rolling around in freezing mud doing it outside at this time of year.

Has anyone got some inside I could use for a few hours to get it done please? Within vague driving distance of Leeds/Manchester would be good.

Ta.

• 5 months later...

Thread resurrection time.

At some point in the next month or two I intend to try and replace the cambelt, tensioner and water pump in my newly acquired ex-red5/83c/holbeck Celica. I have most of the tools required to do this, but not a hub/gear puller for removing the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer to get at the bottom of the cambelt.

Does anyone have one I could borrow for a weekend either within driving distance of Fareham on the south coast, or who is willing to come over and assist in the operation in exchange for tea, biscuits and bacon sandwiches? Date TBC as I still need to buy the requisite parts but the puller is going to be a sticking point otherwise. I'd buy one, but suspect it will be used once then sit in a box for another decade before being used for something inappropriate and broken.

TIA