Dollywobbler's Dreadful Dyane - Back on the road

dollywobbler

The Collection Caper is afoot. I have packed a bag with essentials. Camera, sandwiches, a drink, gaffer tape. Stage one will see me chauffeured in an Lexus GS thing towards Abergavenny. From there, three trains will transport me towards Warminster and an appointment with my Dreadful Dyane. That should be around half past three. Then, it's just the small matter of driving home. I may avoid motorway, in which case, a four or five hour introduction will take place. Departure in half an hour. 

The Collection Caper is afoot. I have packed a bag with essentials. Camera, sandwiches, a drink, gaffer tape. Stage one will see me chauffeured in an Lexus GS thing towards Abergavenny. From there, three trains will transport me towards Warminster and an appointment with my Dreadful Dyane. That should be around half past three. Then, it's just the small matter of driving home. I may avoid motorway, in which case, a four or five hour introduction will take place. Departure in half an hour.

Bonne Voyage!

Few problems.
CMtYE7BWEAAp5n7.jpg

Hot coil I think. She refused to idle in traffic, then refused to restart after a short pause. I'm now 70 miles further down the road, 100 miles covered in total and she's running better. Sailed along at 70 on the motorway.
She is pinking though, so she needs some fettling when I'm home.

Made it! 172 miles.

CMuBndCVAAAn4pT.jpg

Not a bad run, but this car is fast generating a huge to do list. I'll have to check the ignition timing tomorrow, then see if I can find out where the horrendous oil leak is. The heater pipes are missing (which doesn't help with noise levels), the driver's door striker needs adjusting, the shock absorbers are variously shagged (very exciting over the mountain road!), the exhaust is a bit 'get yer home' (this was a very low budget purchase), the wiper motor/spindles need replacing (very, very sloppy) and the seats could do with new rubbers.

By jove I do like it though. Just like a 2CV, but with so much more practicality. And elbow room.

Reality has dawned all damp and horrible this morning.

CMwSDnQW8AArd5I.jpg

Which is all the more annoying as the weather forecast reckoned it wouldn't rain for another hour. Oh well. It has allowed me to discover that the wiper spindles are just too worn. The blades barely clear the screen - an advisory on the test but in actual rain, they're just not up to the job. I did get a replacement linkage with the car, but I'm worried that trying to fit it may just result in the bulkhead completely falling apart. 

I'll crack on with sorting the ignition timing anyway, as that has to be a priority.

Ugh. Not sure I am. Got the Dyane into my garage and had a good mooch around it. One of the bolts for the inlet manifold has snapped off! No wonder it was behaving quite badly. The poor thing must have been running seriously lean on one cylinder. 

CMwwBYEWsAA5mOJ.jpg

There's also oil all over the place, so I'm going to have to remove the front end and strip the engine cowling off to try and find where the oil is leaking from. That said, I suspect the breather valve is kaput, so that won't be helping - too much crankcase pressure just forces even more oil out.