Dollywobbler's Dreadful Dyane - Back on the road

dollywobbler

My day started badly. Well, actually, it started really nicely. I was enjoying a lovely snooze when a mild sense of panic kicked in. Yup, it was 7:45 so already three quarters of an hour past when the alarm should have gone off. DOH!

A hasty breakfast was munched and I was pleased that I'd had the foresight to pack the XM over the weekend. The boot looked like this.

CMB7Kz9WgAAYpju.jpg

The important parts are a set of wheels with good tyres, a pair of number plates that I definitely didn't buy on the internet, a brake master cylinder and some service items.

About four hours later, I was in 'sunny' Wiltshire. The rain on the M4 had been so bad that 60mph felt frightening. And it kept up even after crossing the border! Not fair.

CMCv33FWwAEL3AR.jpg

The bonnet hinge has rotted away, so we're replacing that with a pair of rubber hooks. It at least makes engine access easy. A battery was installed (I swapped my old BX battery for one that fits the Dyane), fuel lines were replaced and as the ignition switch is knackered, one was borrowed. The little engine soon fired into life. Grand! I knew it ran already, but it was nice that it seemed 'on the button' so to speak. We then bled the brakes and I had my first little drive!

That confirmed knocking driveshafts (both outer gaiters were split and the joints dry) but the brakes seemed remarkably good. I was very pleased.

Next, we focussed on getting the indicators working. Neither front one was, and both had to be replaced. Fortunately, the chap I'm buying it from has amassed a right heap of old cars and parts. It was like scrapheap challenge as we hopped about trying to find bits and trying to avoid having to use anything actually new. While we did that, another chap pulled out the driveshaft, replaced the gaiter and packed the joint with grease. Wonder how long it'll last...

The wheels and tyres were swapped over and a better exhaust fitted - one that spat bits of metal out when we fired it up. That'll be bye bye baffles then! With the engine nice and warm, the oil and filter were changed. I accidentally took my synthetic oil that I was planning to use on the XM. Oh well. Certainly, it's much, much better than the manky black stuff that came out.

CMDDiKNWsAAUSmx.jpg

The wiper spindles are hopelessly worn, so the blades don't wipe very much. I think I'm going to have to find a replacement, though it should do for the MOT and drive home (dry weather please!). 

By 4pm, I really needed to head back home, so the lads kept working while I sauntered back to Wales in the XM. I grabbed some chips and stopped here for a munch.

CMEZH0kWUAAya0M.jpg

Later this evening, the chap posted this photo. MOT booked for Thursday!

11822416_10203844895996333_3324948381216

So, assuming it gains itself an MOT, the plan is to see if the logbook arrives on Tuesday, and if so, go and collect the Dyane. Not actually worked out the logistics yet, but it might mean going in the Nippa - as Mrs DW is not ever so keen on driving the XM. I may look at trains, but it'll be pretty rubbish from here I suspect, and it'd be nice to have a back-up car. Or is that just too boring? If the logbook doesn't arrive on Tuesday, I'll have to postpone collection until the other side of the 2CV 24hr race the following weekend.

I have very fond memories of the three 2cv's i nursed along as a twenty something.  They really are like nothing else to drive.  I used to enjoy long solo runs with the roof open best.  Always felt like a proper adventure  :-D

PS. I know this is a Dyane but they're pretty much the same aren't they?

Drain the synthetic oil out and reuse in XM having hot filtered it through a tea towel and replace with Total diesel oil, it's the best for the little air cooled twin. Malcolm Lockwood sells it at reasonable prices, 01274... Chances are the synthetic will be too thin and start leaking anyway.

Dyanes are great - stronger, wider and significantly faster than 2cvs - I used to find I was always going 8-10mph faster at any point than when in a deuche, even though it was only 5mph faster flat out. Sierras were easy prey if 1.3s or 1.6s. Total nightmare if rotten, though, especially in the box sections under the windscreen.

Citroen_Dyane_Bangalore_India.mp4

Chances are the synthetic will be too thin and start leaking anyway.

The fact that oil is synthetic has no bearing on the viscosity - you can get it with the same ratings as mineral.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1006-red-line-high-performance-synthetic-motor-oil-20w-50.aspx

Not that I have any idea which oil is 'best' in this case, just that it seems to be a commonly believed myth it's always thinner.

I've seen a much worse example of this sat on a trailer in Bury St Edmunds. It's had the rear quarter windows crudely panelled over, and is somewhat crusty. I suspect it belongs to a gentleman with a mint condition blue Arcadiane van

The fact that oil is synthetic has no bearing on the viscosity - you can get it with the same ratings as mineral.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1006-red-line-high-performance-synthetic-motor-oil-20w-50.aspx

Not that I have any idea which oil is 'best' in this case, just that it seems to be a commonly believed myth it's always thinner.

Yup, I just assumed it would have been chosen for the XM rather than the Dyane as that's what DW said, so likely a 10w40 or even 5W40 - both are too 'thin' for the flat-twin even if tolerances are as new. Since he's said it's the correct stuff for the Dyane, then all's good - and should be good for plenty more than 3000 miles.

At best the too thin stuff tends to piss out of the holes on the front of the camshaft and so foul the points (where there's no seal, just a scroll return). I have seen wrecked A-series engines with bearing damage, where the oil pump has done 100k+ and the oil has been thinner than recommended.

Those shut lines around the bonnet look good and tight - always a good sign! Are you gravitationally attracted to cars painted like animals, DW? I seem to remember a certain BX which would have made a good stablemate for this one.

I remember thinking how large the screen seemed after a 2cv - I also remember riding in a friend's and suddenly noticing the bottom of the screen moving in rather more than expected whenever a lorry went the other way. We got out, the bottom of the panel had all the strength of ripe brie. Continued home at 45mph, the rot was so catastrophic I welded a couple of retaining bars on the inside, between the A pillars. The thought of the glass imploding onto its occupants at 70+ was not worth thinking about. Thing is, the car would do 100, and often did.

Talking at the GS rally, mention was made of Coops' mehari with an 1150 bmw engine in it that he clocked at 105mph on the autobahn back from Poland. He reckons it would have been quicker with the kids and luggage out and the windscreen folded flat. Rather him than me!

Also of another mehari shipped to the south of France by TGV. Car deck was outside and the body disintegrated flinging body panels across central France as the train passed 200mph! Mehari arrived sans panels and just the space frame and chassis.

Collection capers are entirely dependent on the paperwork arriving on Tuesday, which is assumed. Given how late our post arrives, Tuesday isn't looking a good date for collection. Wednesday isn't ideal either, as I need a restful day before heading up to Anglesey for the 2CV 24hr race. Need to learn the ropes ahead of Friday's qualifying session (I'm pit crew, not driving). So, I'm not sure when collection will take place. Especially as Mrs DW now doesn't fancy going all that way in the Nippa. Nor do I to be honest... A mere four trains from here to there, so I'm seeing if anyone local is heading over that way soon.

Hmmm. I may have to watch out for similar windscreen issues. That panel is utterly banjaxed. Had my first Dyane up to an indicated 90 on a very steep hill once. A ton seems a touch unlikely though - that'd be considerably more than 7000rpm. 

Yes, do watch out for the glass moving more than you'd like - you'd think if it was well located up the sides and along the top it might be ok but this one was  bending and I'd no idea how much bend it would take before breaking.

Some numpty had shoehorned in a 1015, I think it had the original box, can't quite remember now. Anyway, it sounded to be doing about 15,000rpm at speed - but was no noisier than at 4000, and even smoother. The engine had 300k+ under it belt, ran like clockwork and had never been worked on except to do the O-rings. Didn't even use a drop of oil.

I'm not sure if you feel this way or not DW but I think you're becoming a bit like me and 'settling down' with your fleet. The XM and Nippa both appear to be long term keepers, as does the 2CV, though I reckon the Dyane could well be the same. So rather than one in, one out, it's much more of the former than the latter. Good job you moved to rural Wales!

I must say that I'm another supporter of the Dyane over the 2CV, though that could be influenced by childhood memories of the Corgi Juniors Dyane being a more pleasing scale in comparison to the Juniors 2CV, which always seemed too big and also didn't have an opening boot to shove small trinkets in. Childhood OCD there; don't get me started on the humongous scale of the Juniors Mini-Metro, even if it made the wheels look about the right size.

The camouflage is also really well done and is very reminiscent of the lines of SIII 109s I'd see lined up at the barracks in the 1980's.  

I always liked my dyane. It was always a bit weird getting out of it and straight into a 2cv. Then gear throw felt different and the 2cv altogether less solid. Which, given it was a Frome special, it probably was!

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk

Ah, Dyanes. So much nicer than 2CVs :D I had a pair of green ones. First one, I paid £50 for with MOT & Tax. It had a roof that looked shredded with a glued-on tarp on it. I got it home, and then a friend said they had a whole Dyane the same colour for £75 with a good roof.

So I bought that one, swapped the roof over and swapped a couple of panels. Then my Dyane got used for college and general silliness, the exhaust detached once and it sounded fantastic* and I once caught a Mk 2 Astra GTE `16v napping on some bends and flew past them - they couldn't catch up until the next long straight.

I'd planned on doing good things with it - I even fibreglassed the hole on the windscreen corner - but when I went to strip it down I found a plate had been welded across the floorpans to the chassis, which then looked like it would tear as I lifted the body.

Special skills - it once blew the oil cap open and dumped a small amount of oil on the exhaust, which then smoked like mad, which made me think the car had caught fire. The steering rack/column joint was FUBAR, and I could disconnect the steering by pulling back on the wheel - which I did often when I had passengers. Driving on a straight, saying "watch this, you know how these look like they're going to tip" then spinning the wheel violently was ALWAYS fun. Once they got over that, it dawned on them THE CAR HAD NO STEERING as we approached a corner - but I'd push the wheel back and corner normally.

Eventually.

Swapped the beams over and that little bug went away.

The final thing was on a very windy day. Opened the door and it blew off the hinges - I chased it, jumped on it until it was flat enough to close again, and went back to college. Next day I went back and the door was perfect - no-one twigged I had a twin car for spares.

It even paid for itself - a bloke in a Rover 800 reversed into it and the bumper fell off. He gave me £50 not to go through insurance. Result. I tied it back on when he wasn't looking.

Funnily enough, I paid £375 for my first Dyane (in 1997), which is my magic number. That's also what I paid for the silver BX Turbo Diesel which I liked a great deal, and the XM. I don't think when I bought the Dyane I'd imagine that many years later, I'd buy an XM for the same price. 

I did 14,000 miles in a year in that Dyane, regularly day-tripping from Birmingham to London. Once drove from Brighton to Birmingham in three hours. I took it greenlaning several times. I once experienced understeer and oversteer in the same bend. Five up. Awesome times.