I know Ka's rust, but............

The Reverend Bluejeans

[pistonheads mode]That's a twelve year old car, what do you expect from something so ancient?[/pistonheads mode]

That's got to hurt, I suppose it wasn't too obvious until you started to prod at it?

Surely 'what do you expect from something outside of a lease agreement?'

When working and not rusty they are fun cheap simple car, but I've never known anything to rust the way they do. They seem to rot from the inside out in a more or less uniform fashion, so by the time you see a couple of blebs on the outside theres only the paint holding it together

I've welded a few up and turned 50p size blisters into 4 foot long gaping holes just using a housekey.

Evans Halshaw had a 55 plate one in Rotherham for sale for not far shy of £3k complete with underseal tidemark and big blebs round the fuel cap. Only 29k miles though.

My mum's got one - her Rover 6 gave out after many attempts at saving it. She then went and paid way over the odds for one of these (about the same year as this too and misery-spec). I'm tempted to send her this thread to try and get her to part ways with it...

At least you don't need to worry about getting it to the bridge.. I think if you tapped it with a broom the rest of it should crumble away to dust then all you need to do is sweep it up..

Only thing don't throw it in the green recycle bin as I think thats for metal rather than flaky rust I doubt any of that can be turned into washing machines or Chinese eBay tat.

Has it been living by the coast all its life or was it actually parked up in the sea.

I spotted it in a scrapyard and couldn't believe how bad it was. Mine is only 18 months newer but whilst it's required a pretty involved repair to the fuel filler area, the rest of it is fine. Going to get it up on the ramp next week and rustproof it properly with some Waxoyl and the air fed Waxoyl gun and lances. With 10-0 psi behind it, it's going to get everywhere it needs to. 

I reckon there will only be a tiny handful of these left in 10 years. Easily the biggest rust bucket in the last 15 years, proper Mini / 1100 style rot.

Fucking hell...Only 10 years old, too?  That's ridiculous.  It really does make you wonder how many similar deathtraps are running around out there.  When they're on the road and with less holes than a teabag, they are great fun.  Easily the nearest thing in spirit to the Mini I've ever driven.  That rot makes 1100s look as durable as the pyramids by comparison...

They rot so badly. It's getting so well known now that I'd say 95% of eBay ads for Ka's now feature an obligatory 'petrol filler cap shot'.

SWMBO's best friend had an '06-plate Ka and she's just scrapped it because it was rotten as a pear.

Shame as they aren't that bad a car IMHO.