Blasts from the past. Some more

55bloke

Amongst my Xmas pressies this year was a scanner which will convert 35mm slides and negs to jpg format. It's taken a while to get it working (I bloody hate computers!!) but have finally managed it. So, I've been digging out all the pics I took decades ago, to see what I can find. I've been shite-spotting since I was in my teens! Many of the slides have deteriorated over the years, with some colour loss, and a few have even got mould growing on them, but felt the pics would be of some interest all the same.

Gotta start with this one- my dad's '71 Sunbeam Alpine. My brother and I, who were in our late teens at the time, were thrilled to bits when he traded in the Mk 1 Cortina estate for this. And even more delighted when he agreed- unbelieveably- to let us lose with a paint brush!!! :shock: The car was overall blue when he got it, and my brother and I pained the C post black, and also did the black and gold coach line. We both learned to drive on this car. I'd love to have one now.

Posted Image

Next, a selection of shots taken on Holiday in Barton-On-Sea in '75

Took this shot coz of what was lurking in the shadows- but it didn't really work!

Posted Image

Zooming in and fiddling with the contrast shows this- doubt if anyone can identify it.

Posted Image

Big old Austin- not suficiantly familiar with them to know which one exactly!

Posted Image

Wolsley 1500

Posted Image

Big Healey

Posted Image

Mini Hooper

Posted Image

Sunbeam Alpine

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been a big fan of the Mk 1 Cortina since they 1st came out, and always kept an eye open for nice ones. This '66 (though it's on a '67 plate. Must beone of the last registered, as the Mk 2 came out in '67) 4 door Super was for sale, but out of my price range back then- where they've remained ever since! :cry:

Posted Image

When I took these pics, the cars were only 9 years old, but nice ones were scarce even then- would kill to get hold of a 2 door Super as clean as this one now!

Posted Image

Posted Image

More.

Spent 3 years at Uni in Bangor, North Wales, from '73. Despite it being a coastal town, there was an astonishing variety of shite around (Not that the term had been used in that context in those days, of course!)

Believe it or not, this Lagonda was the daily driver of a student! :shock:

Posted Image

So was this Talbot. I seem to recall it had a parafin-fired heater in the front footwell!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Another Austin I can't identify. :oops:

Posted Image

Oh dear, another! A 50?

Posted Image

I love the Vauxhauls of the late 50s and early 60s. They were like hen's teeth even when I took these, and I was amazed to find several were in regular use. Must've been a very successful Vauxhaul dealership in the town back then.

Stunning Wyvern

Posted Image

and another

Posted Image

H B Victor

Posted Image

My particular fave- P A Cesta

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

H A Viva

Posted Image

A particularly clean A 40

Posted Image

Plenty of old Fords about too:

Pop

Posted Image

Prefect

Posted Image

Mk 2 Consul

Posted Image

Mk 3 Zody

Posted Image

Big Yank. Not very good with late 60s Yanks.

Posted Image

Beautiful Camaro SS

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spent my 1st 2 years loging in a student house with about a dozen other students. The land-lady decided to treat us to a car for comunal use ( :shock: ) and came up with this! It didn't last long!!

Posted Image

She hersdelf drove this gorgeous Toyota Crown Coupe.

Posted Image

That's all I've got so far, but it's likely to be an on-going project, so will post more eventually, if any one's interested.

Super, smashing, great! :DMy parents met while at uni/college in Bangor. My dad's firts car (after riding bikes) was an Austin 12 or 16 or something and that would have been mid sixties. I wonder if he knew of the Lagonda?!

Small world! What year were they there, and in which dept?

These are fantastic pics. To think you were snapping these cars when they were just ordinary ones a few years old - brilliant, what excellent foresight!

This I love; orange 610 Bluebird - ironically both cars now equally sought after. Like a picture now of a Primera and Mk2 Cavalier but way cooler!! It just shows how much car styling advanced in just 20 years but the difference over the last 20 is not so big.

Posted Image

This grey car is a Wolseley by the way, probably a post-war Series III 18/85 or maybe the smaller 14/56.

Posted Image

I was wondering if any of them still exist! Very happy that the pics have aroused so much interest. I will be scanning more in the next few days (Can't spend too long doing it, or might end up single again!! :lol: ) So, will post more when I have them done.

Super, smashing, great! :DMy parents met while at uni/college in Bangor. My dad's firts car (after riding bikes) was an Austin 12 or 16 or something and that would have been mid sixties. I wonder if he knew of the Lagonda?!

Small world! What year were they there, and in which dept?
My mum was at the teaching college (might have been outside the town?) and my dad was doing electronic engineering or similar. As I said, it would have been mid to late sixties that they were there. I'm in touch with an old college freind of my dads who was also into cars so might send him a couple of your photos and see if he remembers anything.

Eggcellent !! Most enjoyable ! I particularly enjoyed the pics of your Blue fastback Alpine (Series 6 ) and the superb series V regd "555 E"Have had a few fastback Alpine / Rapiers in the past , along with a brace of Alpines, and even a couple of Tigers. ( i am a bit longer in de tooth than sum of u !!!) :mrgreen:

Seth, it sounds like your folks were in Bangor almost 10 years before these pics were taken, so doubt much will be familiar. They should recognise the student house I was in though, it was a rather dominant feature, being built high on the side of a hill- the landlord's family living in the dorma bungalow part of it, and the students in the 2 floors beneath it!!!

Posted Image

Mine was the room on the lower left corner. The big building in front of it was, believe it or not, an all female hall of residence! The name of the street? Love Lane!! Yes, really!! :lol: Here's a front view of the same house.

Posted Image

Spent my 1st 2 years loging in a student house with about a dozen other students. The land-lady decided to treat us to a car for comunal use ( :shock: ) and came up with this! It didn't last long!!

Posted Image

What the chuff? Can you imagine that now?

"Hello house full of students. I've picked up this little Saxo, and there's twelve keys on the coffee table. Take one each, don't worry about paying road tax, and I'm sure you'll have oodles of fun. Oh and no squabbling."

LOL. When I was a student we had a 'house' car, a lovely 10 year old Escrot with 'mot-pass' stonechip halfway up the doors. Problem was the combination of multiple users and typical student booze intake meant it would often go missing in action for several days at a time. :roll:

:lol: Yeah, the communal car seemed like amazing generosity even at the time (we were obviously such a well behaved and likeable bunch she felt we deserved it!!! :lol: ) I was the only one of us who had his own car at the time (the maroon Mk 1 Cortina with gold stripe which has been shown on here before) so I never actually drove that terminally rotten little 850 Mini!