Reliant Rialto

oldcars

Reliant carb advice for dummies.warm up engine.raise tickover to say 1000rpm,you can use the end of your index finger on the screw head to turn it as trying to get a screwdriver down there is awkward.unscrew big mixture screw,is down towards engine,til it runs lumpy,then screw back up till fastest even speed is reached,lower Rickover speed to the lowest you can go with lights on and clutch pedal down,and the engine will still tickover. Drink tea.

Reliant carb advice for dummies.warm up engine.raise tickover to say 1000rpm,you can use the end of your index finger on the screw head to turn it as trying to get a screwdriver down there is awkward.unscrew big mixture screw,is down towards engine,til it runs lumpy,then screw back up till fastest even speed is reached,lower Rickover speed to the lowest you can go with lights on and clutch pedal down,and the engine will still tickover. Drink tea.

Thanks Dan, this worked a treat  :-D Problem i had was i had set choke gap first with cable attached rather than setting that after i had done the above and then clamp up the cable.

glad to see you're getting there mate.  mine went last night :-(  i had a bet with the buyer that it wouldn't make it the 130 miles to his house (half kidding, but i put a tenner on it lol)

he won.  i am actually pleased to have lost a bet 8)

Lee

Glad he made it, thought he would yours was a good well looked after car. 

Well collected the car from my mates garage last night. Not running at all well. Made it to the fuel station and steam pouring out from the front. The idle is way high but i don't think its due to incorrect set up, think its something to do with the accelerator cable. I took the airbox off and moved the spring on the carb and this helped a little. Got it home and dumped it in the drive where it can stay for a while. Can't be bothered with it to be fair.

The bike will do for the next few weeks.

Wish i had not even started this job, At least with omghgf it ran and i had ££ in my pocket  :mad:  :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Mate helped me out big time on this. We checked and double checked everything and decided it had to the the return spring on the carb. We made the spring stronger and bingo it ran  :-D Not great but it ran. Took it for a longer run and made some fuel adjustments, still more to make i think as its a little lean.

On to this morning. Checked coolant level and what do i fine. Oily sludge on the cap again. Gutted. Spent £££ and hours on this. Could it be residual oil in the system from the head going before that's come up again after the run?

almost certainly.after the headgasket went on my Fox,it took several hours blasting up and down a dual carriageway to burn off all the damp that was still in the engine.

unless you have repeatedly flushed and drained the system then it will still be full of crap.so long as the oil filler cap isnt full of mayo dont worry.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Checked the levels yesterday, been meaning to do it since the mot but with the weather this has not been possible. Coolant had dropped  :-(

Nor sure of the cause, can see any drops on the ground like the last time. Popping to mates next week to check the tappets so will check over all hoses again. Hope its something simple.

Thanks Dan, i normally do just with the weather. Got a look yesterday, think the bottom hose was letting a little out so nipped it up a little. Checking tappets tomorrow in mates garage so will get a better check over in the dry out of the wind.

Popped to my mates last night, Checked tappets and all still ok. Fixed a small oil leak, must have nicked the cork gasket on the rocker cover when i put it on in October. Coolant seems fine, looks like bottom hose had a small leak so thats fixed. Replaced 2 spark plugs as i broke two  :-( when i was building the head last time. The ones that came out looked good so mixture must be ok.

Have a pic of a Reliant engine through the square window/inspection hatch.