You can sometimes get what you want - Land Rover 90 Now Alvis TA14

anonymous user

Checker plate , snorkel and roof rack - aaaam oot

Other than that, it's quite nice, I like the table in the back so you can sit with a cup of tea whilst looking out of the window.

I'm still happy with the one I've got, I noticed a tail-light out this morning - undid two screws, put new bulb in and the light works, unlike the Alto where it was two screws undone, then try to find the hidden fixings to get the lamp off without cracking it, or the bumper. I like my big meccano set.

Thinking about it, if he can put up with the dieselness, it could be one for BV72's ski-trip.

My experience of a lamp out on a Landy is usually as follows - try to undo rusty screws with Philips screwdriver but end up with a smal flat cos previous attempts and rust have ruined screw heads . Attempt to remove seized in bulb and break glass/ cut fingers . Find that bulb holder is rotten but still spend half an hour trying to recover it before buying a new one . Fit new lamp and sort out about three foot of black wiring due to scotch locks for tow bar .

Landys , why do I still love them ?

To OP

Irrespective of what vehicle you choose, the fact remains, if you aren't doing the mileage any more, then running costs like fuel esp. will be less significant so you'll have a lot more options to choose from. If you have a long journey or need a big vehicle to ship goods or people then just hire a suitable vehicle for that duration. 

And as DW said, if you get a Landie of any sort, make sure it's nailed down as I know two people who've had LR's nicked (never to be seen again) in the last 5-6 years, one of which was a proper rough looking 110SW. 

Chequer plate

FWIW, I don't think chequer plate on the wing tops looks too bad and stops your screwdriver rolling around while you're fixing the latest problems.
It looks ridiculous halfway up the doors and on the (fragile, cosmetic) 'sill' covers though!

This.  Chequer plate on the wing tops means you can climb on them to clean the roof, pick moss out of the screen and vent rubbers and fix hard-to-reach broken bits without denting the panels.  This is useful - unless you already have dented wings like my Ninety did.  Chequer plate doors are pointless wankery, though.

Unfortunately I have to report a minor failure to proceed, nothing dreadful, just inconvenient. I stopped at the local Spar to pick up some essentials (cheap vodka and chocolate) got back in the Land Rover and tried to start it but it just screeched, without turning the engine over. Bump started it in reverse and got it home onto the drive. Called RAC out this morning, who confirmed knackered starter, he helpfully gave it a push onto the slope of the drive, so I could bump start it. He was going to follow me down to Cowbridge to the garage, in case I stalled, I lost him at Bridgend, but fortunately didn't stall. Got to the garage, who said they will do it first thing Monday. So I was now stuck in Cowbridge a nice little market town, I have the full super-duper package with RAC which covers everything up to and including plague of locusts, slaying of first born, etc. Tried to arrange my onward travel with them (hire car for up to three days), explained everything, including that I do not currently have my photocard licence due to the house move. After some back and for they confirmed that a car would be dropped off to me in Cowbridge within two hours. I was told to contact DVLA to get a code and that there would be an extra charge for this also for the drop off, also for the insurance waiver, etc.

I went to read the paper and have a lovely cooked breakfast at The Bear Hotel which wasted one hour, then a mooch around the shops, that didn't take so long as most of the shops contain little to interest me.

I thought it wise to give a call to check on progress, after first denying that anything was set up, back on hold, then told they'd booked the car for Sunday by mistake, back on hold and then told I couldn't have a car because I didn't have my photocard. Not hugely impressed by this, I ended up getting a taxi home.

RAC will get a snotty and a bill for the taxi.

But as a bonus, while waiting outside The Bear for the taxi I had this to look at.

post-3477-0-73508500-1444480634_thumb.jpg

Guest Breadvan72

Thinking about it, if he can put up with the dieselness, it could be one for BV72's ski-trip.

This thought had also crossed my mind ...

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely need a second (technically third) car. I love the Land Rover, but am out of practice with running an older vehicle as a daily. While it was in for the starter I had the front wheelbearings changed (advisory on its MOT) and had the pads checked as I thought I'd heard them a scrape a couple of times. Turns out it had the wrong pads fitted (or the right pads for the wrong calipers), while it was on the lift noticed a little weep from the one swivel so that was done as well. So far so good and happy to have it back. Unfortunately in the last couple of days it has developed a bit of a shimmy at the wheel when slowing, not sure if this is a wheel balance issue, warped disc, or something else. Can't see or feel anything loose, so it will have to wait until the weekend to have a proper look.

I hope it's just a few teething issues that I need to get on top of, after all I've put a 30 year old vehicle I don't know yet into daily use. Logically I should have held onto the Alto, but I didn't. I'm looking to get a standby car for the short term; trouble is while my sensible head is telling me to look at cheap and cheerful throw-away cars, so far with my stupid head on I have looked at and ruled out a Porsche Boxster, an MX5, a Mercedes SLK and a MINI Cooper. (These are cheap end of the market, potential moneypits I hasten to add.) I have also looked at, but not ruled out yet, a ropey Series 3 Land Rover, not ruled out, in that I made an offer which has not yet been accepted or refused, I'm not upping it though so it's up to them.

• 5 weeks later...

Not much of an update, the Land Rover is performing well as trundle about/dog carrier. Had to replace a rear light as I got fed up with people telling me "You've got a tail light out" fiddling with it to get it working, then being told "You've got a brake light out" pretty standard for a Land Rover, so a whole £6 and twenty minutes a new holder was fitted.  I have collected all the bits to fit a stereo (whether I will be able to hear it is another matter) but the weather has been too poor to be outside fiddling with it.

I got rid of my Alto a bit too soon and when work has been needed on the Land Rover I was stuck for transport, so I "needed" another car.

As you may have seen after my reasoning for buyng a Land Rover (simple, infinitely rebuildable, easy to get in and out of, good dog carrier, etc.) in a fit of stupidity I went out and bought its almost exact opposite. I've always liked the Smart Roadster a couple of friends bought them new and I enjoyed the chance to drive them. Ten years down the line they are a lot cheaper than they were new, this one was local, saw it on ebay through my reliable search mechanism (no make, within 15 miles and max price). It was with a garage, went and had a look, shook hands and sorted insurance. They had a couple of jobs to do and I picked it up a few days later.

post-3477-0-13563500-1448022148_thumb.jpg

It drives as I remember and has the flappy paddle shift, although I find it easier using the stick to shift up and down. It's quite clunky in auto mode, you have to learn where it will change and sort of ease off a bit as it changes. Unlike a normal automatic there is no 'creep' .

The stereo did not work when I got it, the garage tried to get the code, but it's a bit of a faff as you have to get it from Grundig, using the serial number, after a week of waiting they gave up and offered to fit a new radio/cd. I bought the surround off ebay and they did the job. It was fine until I switched the car off and then it lost all the pre-sets. Googling found that this is a problem as Smart in their infinite wisdom do the permanent and switched lives the opposite way around. (found a very good website Evilution covering the Smarts and have signed up to it). Apart from locking my hip leaning in the car for too long, to get the stereo out and switch the pins in the plug, it was easy.

So far I'm very pleased with it, but also glad it's not my only car, it's just that little bit too small for me and makes me drive like a git.

post-3477-0-19126100-1448022704_thumb.jpg

post-3477-0-30942800-1448022724_thumb.jpg

Note the glove box, ideal for one glove, or a carefully folded flat cap

Always had a soft spot for smart cars, the for2 looks good for short town shit, the2 coupe looks fun, and my stepmum had a Brabus ForFour on a 54 plate for a few years from new, that went like fuck, was apparently quite reliable (although company least, so went back before it started to misbehave) and comfy in the back. Dad got a speeding ticket in it apaprently in their 3rd week of ownership...

Chequer plate

This.  Chequer plate on the wing tops means you can climb on them to clean the roof, pick moss out of the screen and vent rubbers and fix hard-to-reach broken bits without denting the panels.  This is useful - unless you already have dented wings like my Ninety did.  Chequer plate doors are pointless wankery, though.

Back in the 70's until the early 90's my dad worked for the electricity board and all their Land Rovers had chequer plate on the wing tops and bonnet. It was due to them using the Land Rover as a ladder to get up the poles with. The series Land Rovers they had without the plates would have fucked wings in no time but the later 110's with the chequer plate actually stayed looking ok for a few years before the abuse became too much for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Does it leak................if not, why not?

Damn you, it does leak. I was using it this morning and had an interesting time. First the wipers started playing up and then all the warning lights flashing up on the dashboard, but it was still driving ok, so I hoped to get off the motorway into the services. It was touch and go, as by then it had started losing drive, stuttering and in the dashboard christmas display, suddenly added several thousand miles onto the mileometer. Getting off the junction into the services was fun, I had managed to select first manually but it was in limp-mode with the occasional surge, not fun with a van up my behind.

I rang the RAC and waited, his first thought on arriving was the battery/alternator dying, I had already started to suspect it was water in the carefully positioned control unit under the dash, he confirmed it's not the battery or alternator. I then had to wait for a recovery truck and got taken down to the garage where I bought it. They have said they will have it looked at tomorrow, if it is the SAM unit they are not cheap and it would be daft to replace it until finding how/where the water has got in. Wish me luck.

• 3 months later...

An update, three months on I no longer have a Smart Roadster. It is still not fixed, it has been nearly fixed a few times, but is gradually wearing the auto electricians down (I'm sure the chap still had hair before working on it). Even with new parts, new, new parts when they didn't work, special software, etc. it has been a git. Yesterday I popped in to see the chap at the garage I bought it from, we did a deal and he has taken it back. He's been very fair all down the line trying to get it fixed, where he could just as easily have told me to sod off and left me with the problem, so I would definitely buy a car from him in future.

In the meantime I have mostly been trundling around at sub-20 mpg in the Land Rover, I won't go looking for anything else for a while and may finally kick myself up the arse to get the TR7 on the road for the summer.

• 1 month later...

Very minor update, the Land Rover has had a bit of an exhaust blow for a while, I had a look and could see a bit of black around the down-pipe/manifold joint. (It's sounded worse since I put a spare wheel on the bonnet, strange, but it probably reflects the sound)  The manifold joint is not a job that I fancied doing as I'd probably snap the studs, so it's in the garage, where they have now discovered a crack in the manifold, hopefully this will be sorted tomorrow, but it leaves me with no car and I have had to hire one. (Nisssan Micra)

The ex-Station MINI is on long-term loan so I can't use that and the TR7 is nowhere near roadworthy yet (I may end up letting my brother have it), so I'm now thinking about getting something else again as a spare car. I'd love another Volvo 240 estate, but as usual there are none around when I want one so  wondering about a London Taxi as I've often fancied one and they come with a sliding division/ready made dog-guard.