1994 Rover 414SLi - Fin.

vulgalour

That's got a proper full-bore dose of leprosy. You realise you'll have to sand that roof right back if you want to gloss black it - otherwise it'll just look like you painted it in shed roof bitumen and peeled the felt off. Is there any way you can carefully sand it just back to the red and bang it over with gloss lacquer? If anyone has the patience to do this then surely it's you? :D

It's muckier than it looks, that's for sure.  Just finished the claybar work on it, next is the T-Cut which I know works stupendously well on these as Krujoe will attest on the ex-Chompy Rover.  Overall the paint is salvagable.  The boot lid has been repainted at some point and is a very slightly different shade to the rest of the car apart from one bit that's come off over the Rover badge.  The bonnet is ruined, looks like someone has sat on it and buckled it, or put something person weight on it to achieve the same effect.

Got lots of moss to clean out, all the lights need to come off to clean them up properly before they go back on... it's all standard stuff really, just time consuming and fiddly.  I am totally in my element though, this is exactly the sort of car I like to own because it's mechanically sorted and in need of cosmetic love.

I keep wanting to drive it too, it's such a bonny little thing to bomb about in.

I like!

Looks like a decent car really, can't complain at the price either. I reckon a good polish and cut back (maybe by machine?) will see it look great.

My mate had one with a very similar reg number, in red, but with the old 1.8 diesel engine. I always liked it, nice comfortable car to be in.

Excellent purchase! I think this would suit you for what you need. Seems to be plenty of those 'small part changed = massive difference' jobs to do on it which are the most rewarding kind I think. I'm 99% sure it would have had the smoked rear lamps from the factory too.

Looks like a nice old R8. The 220sli autoshite bike had the same interior fabrics, I forget the name of it, but it was a relaxing, comfortable cabin to be in. Large glasshouse/ low scuttle combo also meant visibility was brilliant too. A revelation comparired to the oppressive blackness of the 2002 audi a6 i owned at th same time, that also had seats that didnt agree with my spine. The R8 seats however, were superb, 2k nigh on clocked up in 4 days and my back was fine.....

post-4673-0-88895800-1437501581_thumb.jpg

Looking fwd to the 414 being given the vulgalour treatment..

Grr.

You should have bought my white one for that price, and had all the spares you'll ever need, and more. And it comes sans silly grille. Grr.

To make myself feel better, I hereby offer you this free shiny red bonnet as an exchange item.

post-1381-0-23292200-1437502217_thumb.jpg

Sadly I have no spare grille-less front end parts to do the conversion, Phil_bus_boy has those stashed away. The nice wheel trims are gone, I gave them to that lad called "Rover 414" in Liverpool.

So, when are you coming to do the bonnet swap?

Anyone want to buy my Rovers?

£250 for two-and-a-half of them.

What happened to the white one? I thought that was still in use.

It is, sort of, but the Seicento Sporting* is here to replace it, as we only needed something tiny for Mrs K_J (who doesn't like the Rover - wimmin logic). The Pleasure Wagon is used whenever we carry more than a bag of Monster Munch. So the Rover's redundant. Time for a change.

Hey Krujoe, Chompy wants to get some veg off Will so I think a venture over for some parts swapping and blagging out to happen.  Chompy says his old Rover is the same trim and colours as mine so it would save me loads of trouble just swapping parts over if possible.  Sorry I didn't buy your white Rover, you know how impulsive we are!

Processing pictures for the next update, some T-cutting and the like has happened and the car is looking much nicer for it... to a point.

Progress on the Rover then.  Spent a couple of hours giving it first wash, which it very desperately needed.  It will need two or three more washes to really get it properly clean and get all the fiddly crevices done.  It also badly needs a machine polish for the scratches in the paint.  That said, today I got everything above the bumper line clayed and cut and as is usual.  Sacked off the miserable wheel trims so I'm now rocking miserable steel wheels for a bit instead.

37408848925_e4f2c92c48_z.jpg20150721-20 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

37408835175_645c8f013a_z.jpg20150721-21 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36597028433_3e0b150490_z.jpg20150721-22 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I also unbolted the horrible facelift grille that I hate.  I'd actually rather drive the car looking like Dugong it's lost half its face than tolerate that horrible half-arsed attempt at modernisation.  But I wasn't too keen on the gap.  Scouted around the scraps at the unit and found an Alfa Romeo stainless steel sill trim which had seen better days.  Luckily, two of the fixing holes lined up perfectly and after some trimming and fine tuning I have a rudimentary grille.

37408848605_719714ecd2_z.jpg20150721-23 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

36597027913_91c6bacf83_z.jpg20150721-24 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The boot lid has been resprayed at some point in slightly the wrong colour.  It has got evidence of cats climbing on it judging by the scratches.  It should all just machine polish out.

37408848345_de4b4b2431_z.jpg20150721-25 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Worst of all, it barely looks any different in the photographs.  It *feels* different, the claybar took so much tree sap, tar and chalky filth off the car it's nicer to touch now.  Didn't bother doing much to the bonnet, and I won't because it looks like Krujoe has a spare in the right colour amongst other red Rover parts that should spruce this one up really fast.

Hey Krujoe, Chompy wants to get some veg off Will so I think a venture over for some parts swapping and blagging out to happen. Chompy says his old Rover is the same trim and colours as mine so it would save me loads of trouble just swapping parts over if possible.

I'm sure there'll be some Zebrantia friendly oil available :)

Yes, the ex-Chompy 216 had the same trim as yours, but I got half way through swapping it into my white one, so I don't think that's available. Bonnet and other stuff is. Until it's sold. Do you wanna buy the red breaker back? :D I could lend you the "A" to drag it up home behind the Cit...

@Ghosty:  top spot!  Have fired off a message to them to see what their prices are.

@Station: I have a full set of matching Vauxhall wheel trims, so I'm good for that.  I've also got the full compliment of books with this one, amazingly.

I am actually jealous. No, really I am. I love R8 400s probably more than hatchbacks, plus this car has part of my name on it and was registered in the city I'm trying to get out of.

Why am I thinking really hard about ending up with this when I am potentially about to loose 4x Rover 800s :(

Your removal of grille reminded me of when I removed the grille on my borrowed Mk1 820e:

c80df977.jpg

The Mk1 800s never came with a grille as standard but dealers did do an upgrade with R8 200/400 grilles and fitted them onto 800s.

Yep, all the T-Cutting by hand.  I like to do the first go over by hand so I get a good feel for what's there and then do it by machine if needed afterwards.  I might just be replacing the rusty front arch so you won't get to see me tidy it up and clean it, I think Trigger has done the job before and his posts were fairly informative I seem to recall.  I don't know where he posted so I can't link you to it.

Yep, all the T-Cutting by hand.  I like to do the first go over by hand so I get a good feel for what's there and then do it by machine if needed afterwards.  I might just be replacing the rusty front arch so you won't get to see me tidy it up and clean it, I think Trigger has done the job before and his posts were fairly informative I seem to recall.  I don't know where he posted so I can't link you to it.

Cheers, i will try and have a look and find Triggers post. I could replace the wing but they are hard to find.