Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1994 Rover 414SLi - 06/01 Post OMGHGF repair report.

• Please log in to reply
551 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   inconsistant

inconsistant

crude by today's standards

• Full Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:03 PM

Great thread Vulg, as someone trying to learn their way around the oily bits the time you have taken to describe & photograph stuff is much appreciated. I learned a lot from sorting the (omg)hgf on my 924 last year but started from knowing nothing so still lots to find out.

I am curious though and I hope you don't mind what is probably an obvious question... I understand what a crossflow head is and what an overhead cam does and how it's better than pushrods or whatever the alternative is, but mine has a single ohc and two valves per cylinder and I see yours has 2 overhead cams and 4 valves, so what would the benefit of this be in terms of mechanical/performance/economy, and why?

924: Likely to dislove a bit slower than anything elas on my chod for a gran list

---------------

Bike: 2006 damon folding hybrid   2005 brompton  1997 trek pub bike  1885 stride folding shitebike  1982 Itera plastic volvo bike fashioned from pure beige

#542 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 11,873 posts
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:14 PM

You are asking the wrong person, I haven't a clue as to the exact reasons why 16 valves would be better than 8.  I imagine it's something to do with making things smoother which probably has a knock-on effect of offering more power at a wider range without compromising economy too heavily.  I imagine.  I don't know that and someone else will.

Engines are utterly baffling to me.  Stuff goes in, bangs happen, and then you can drive.

• inconsistant and Cavcraft like this

#543 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Beard in Wales

• Full Members
  • 21,534 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:35 PM

In short, more valves means a great volume of air/fuel mixture can flow in, and it's better to have several small valves than one great big one. The Honda 1.6 has one cam and four valves per cylinder (like a Dolomite Sprint) but it's easier to do it with an extra camshaft.

1986 Citroen 2CV Dolly (In fewer bits) 1993 Citroen ZX diesel (smooth)

1997 Honda S-MX (JDM YO!) 1999 Perodua Nippa EX (Tiny)

HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#544 ONLINE   twosmoke300

twosmoke300

• Full Members
  • 6,237 posts
  • LocationCornwall

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

16 valves = more revs - higher outright power figures .
8 valve = lower revs and more useable torque

Saab 9-5 2.3t

Fiat Ducato 11 Jtd

Honda Crf250X

Suzuki TS50x

Kawasaki Ke175d

Prilla Pigsasshole 650

Corsa C 1.0

Saxo 1.5D

Honda Civic 5dr 1.4

Fiat Grande Punto 1.2

#545 ONLINE   Dave_Q

Dave_Q

formerly known as Dink

• Full Members
  • 2,474 posts
  • LocationHuddersfield

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:45 PM

2 small valves have a greater area than the one large valve you could fit into the same space, therefore you can get more air & fuel in.

Also, to get more in through one big valve you have to open it further compared to how much you would open the 2 small valves to achieve the same flow, opening valves takes time therefore the smaller relative opening of the 2 small valves is achieved more quickly hence why they rev more quickly.

2002 Citroen Berlingo Multispace HDi
1995 Impreza WRX Wagon
1999 Honda Fireblade
Assorted pushbikes

#546 OFFLINE   MikeKnight

MikeKnight

• Full Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationTeesside

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:25 AM

I do love working on K Series engines, I'd describe working on them as easy but fiddly.

If you ever buy a K Series car where the HG has been replaced and the guy re-used very old stretch head bolts or goes "huh?" when you talk about angle tightening, RUN AWAAAY.

The only thing we didn't do was fit the uprated oil ladder that lives in the sump, but honestly that's not really needed unless you're doing a higher output block like a 1.8 or VVC.. and it's a lot of extra faff.

• DeeJay likes this

#547 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 11,873 posts
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

I'm home after my fortnight away in The South. Set off at the end of December very nervous about how the car would behave on the 300 mile motorway trek so close to Christmas Day. Initially things seemed a bit lumpy but shortly after a little break at Wetherby Services to check the fluids and whatnot, the car smoothed out and performed faultlessly for the rest of the journey. Indeed, at motorway speeds it was less revvy than before the engine work and generally a more pleasant place to be.

While I was in The South the car was used very lightly and continued to be a good old thing, with no cause for concern. I did fill up and find my fuel consumption was higher than I'd anticipated but still reasonable, I suspect the ECU is re-learning the best fuelling for my post-HGF fix driving and over compensating a little.

With much less nerves I set off home this morning for another 300 miles. It became an absolute chore for the last 100 miles with plenty of variable speed rain, road grime and salt spray. It also became uncomfortably apparent that my headlights are rubbish in modern night time traffic, something I tend to avoid anyway. At times, the flood lights fitted to moderns behind me were so bright they were over powering my headlights and illuminating the vehicle in front of me, leaving me totally blind when they weren't there until I could adjust my night vision just in time for yet another round of Close Encounters road users. The most alarming episode was on the unlit country road near home with my headlights offering very little in the way of forward vision to be replaced by utter blindness when Wankertron 5000 comes around the corner and just obliterates any reference points with their monstrously bright headlights.

Got home safe enough. Only a few minor incidents of lorries not seeing me when merging and other road users trying to drift into my front corner when exiting the motorway late - the usual stuff - and pretty worn out. Car appears to have used no oil or water (other than copious amounts of washer fluid to keep the windscreen clear) and has performed impeccably well for the entire journey.

The only fly in the ointment is a grumble that has all the hallmarks of early wheel bearing failure. A bit of a drone that increases at speeds in excess of 65mph, accompanied by a very slight wander and a very feint buzzing vibration through the pedals. It's really specific when it appears but doesn't appear to be tyre pressure, wheel weight, tyre flaw, driveshaft, gearbox or brake related. The other thing it might be is the backbox disintegrating which will be getting replaced now I have the time to do it, the drone of the current backbox at certain speeds was pretty wearing.

Short version: car mostly good, driving on motorways at night in the rain entirely horrible.

Next job is going to be giving the poor old thing a wash, it's shamefully dirty.

20170107-01.jpg

20170107-02.jpg
  • The Moog, Honey Badger, Vince70 and 2 others like this

#548 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 11,873 posts
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

It got a wash and the mpgs calculated;  41.21 mpg on the way down and 45.91 mpg on the way back.  I wasn't eco driving particularly, just chugging along and occasionally overtaking things so I'm quite happy with the figures its returning.  I've since been driving it about doing my usual errands and the grumble is intermittent, though more noticable turning left, particularly if the front right corner is loaded so I still think it's probably a wheel bearing but I expect there's a lot of life still left in it so I'm not in a rush to replace it just yet.  If memory serves, it did have new rear wheel bearings fitting not long before I bought the car so it's probably that the front ones just haven't been done yet and are getting ready.

• Cavcraft likes this

#549 ONLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Staff
  • 31,609 posts
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

41 and 45mpg is brilliant for an 'old' petrol car.  Great thread this by the way, one to enjoy reading through.

"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#550 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 11,873 posts
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

There's not a great deal out there that can equal it really, they got these just about right.  Around town the very worst it's returned is 26mpg which is thoroughly respectable and before the head gasket failed I did get 52mpg out of it on an eco run.  Keeping a Fuelly account is really useful to see just how much it's really costing me.

I just hope I can keep on top of all the little maintenance jobs as it gets older as I don't really want to change it for anything else now, there's very little that it can't do exactly how I want and that's just down to it being a four door saloon instead of an estate really.

#551 ONLINE   Frank Gallagher

Frank Gallagher

• Full Members
  • 2,273 posts
  • LocationBirminghamshireton

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

some tyres sound like a boloxed wheel bearing if you can be bothered/are fit enuff you could always do a bit of swaparound to see if noise changes

07 Civic spaceship

93 Renner 19 RNi

89 Sunnay L premium- hiding

14 Poojoe 208 ehdi feline- works (1 of 10)

64 Fraud Fucus Zetec navi tdci- other works

some kind bum stabby leg numby knee achey thing.

#552 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 11,873 posts
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

Having had wheel bearing and tyre issues and given that the front tyres are pretty new and free of visible defects, I'm still more inclined to point the finger at a bearing on this one.  I learned all about horrendous tyre noises with the Princess with its four mismatched tyres, one of which was a mid-90s remould and another a directional that was on backwards.  That was fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users