1994 Rover 414SLi - Fin.

vulgalour

Concerto locks are in different positions on different models so some are in the same place as mine.  Surprisingly, the Concerto rear lights are easy to get, just the under light section that's tricky.  There's even a complete Concerto on eBay at the moment that probably has everything I'd need.

Integra should work too but I've not really seen any more of those than the Accord.  The bonnet on the Integra has a suitable bit in the middle for the Rover badge, which is nice.  The Integra has a kick up at the back of the wings and bonnet that the Accord lacks which may affect fit around the doors and A pillar.

Honda-Integra-pervogo-pokoleniya.jpg

Putting aside the cool headlights idea for now, I put into practice the other parts swapping idea I had, namely a Concerto rear light set.  In theory it should be a case of swapping the rear lights and under light trims over and in practice, it turns out that's exactly the case for the lights, at least.

20160524-01.jpg

The bolts line up exactly with the Rover ones and the entire light cluster hole is covered in exactly the same way so even without the trims underneath you can swap the light units and not worry about water ingress.  The wiring is different though, the Concerto corner lights only have indicator, brake and reflector in them.

20160524-02.jpg

20160524-03.jpg

The profile of the cluster is slightly different to that on the Rover too but since you need the centre panel for the full compliment of lights that's not really a problem (although none of the Concerto centre panels seem to have the manual lock in the same location, which is a bit irritating).

20160524-04.jpg

The side profile is identical.  Note that I haven't fully tightened the nuts on this light cluster in the photograph but it does sit flush properly as it ought and the boot lid opens and closes as it should too.

20160524-05.jpg

I can get a matching light for the other side and the centre piece no problem.  The issue is the trim at the bottom which is going to be difficult to find, I've already called the guy breaking the white Concerto on eBay and both the under light trims and the centre panel are gone already.  It's a simple enough shape, I can likely make it up out of metal or fibreglass or whatever if push really comes to shove.  For now I'll keep to the stock rear end until I have all the parts for converting to the Concerto rear which is now definitely going to happen.

Would it not be easier to just buy a Concerto?

I think it's a step to far, the rover design rear end is sleeker and more appealing than the Concerto, and I say that as a confirmed Honda JDMYO! fanboi, I understand you love modifying your cars but maybe the time would be better spent sorting out the cool light tubs on the Princess.

As always it's your car and I'll look forward to reading the updates whatever you decide to do.

Theres a white saloon on scumtree at the moment

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda/honda-concerto-68-thou-miles-from-new-2-owners-very-rare-very-clean-tidy/1166835887

$_86.JPG

$_86.JPG

Man climbed Everest because it was there.

We went to the moon, not because it was easy but because it was hard

Angyl modified a car because he could. Despite the fact it made no sense, he did it because he could. And that's what makes our nation truly great

Despite this I would never lend Angyl a domestic appliance. If I lent a toaster I would probably get it back with a microwave door across the top and a kettle element on one side enabling it to boil water one side whilst the other side made toast. And it would now be purple

Three rear ends then.  Newest has the lock where it is on the Rover.

0321_37_honda_concerto.jpg

I've bought the oldest one so I don't have to modify the bumper and it was easiest to get hold of.

15194821946_96409a61a0_b.jpg

As far as I can tell the Concerto script is moulded in so you can't undo it.

Since my day out plans were a bust I turned my attention to the Rover once I'd got some work out of the way and a deadline met.  It's turned into a stunner of a day today and I didn't want it to go to waste by being trapped at my desk all afternoon.  So, off to the unit we go to tackle some of the scabby bits on the Rover that I've left alone since buying the car.  Just a quick blast with the flapwheel, a dash of rust convertor, a bit of primer and some fresh red and lacquer.  It's not show winning stuff but it's better than it was.

Mainly, I wanted to tackle this bit on the back door which looks warty and unpleasant every time the car is waxed.  The back corner and bottom edge also needed a bit of attention at the same time.  Here's the before from back in July 2015.

20150721-07.jpg

Here's the after.  This car is already about four shades of Flame Red anyway so the slight mismatch doesn't bother me.  Also gave the bumper edge of the rear arch a fresh tickle as it had a couple of spots coming through.

20160528-01.jpg

Before again.

20150721-18.jpg

After.

20160528-02.jpg

Happier with that.  I tackled the front wing on the opposite side too, namely the big blister at the front edge of the arch which is now a hole and the ugly obvious lacquer peel.  This is even more of a rushed job because I've got a better wing to finish the welding on - gas regulator still hasn't arrived - so I can get that fitted.  From this distance you could see the peel and the rust but you can't see the very quick repair so I'm happy with that for the time being. I also finally cleaned up the centre caps and fitted the Rover badges this side.

20160528-03.jpg

I spent some time getting the front end straightened out again.  One of the under-light trims clips is snapped as is the side clip on the indicator.  The headlight had been pushed down and that had deformed the bottom bracket slightly.  Annoyingly, my bonnet is now twisted and I couldn't get it twist back the other way.  My bumper also looks like it's got  bent bracket on the driver's side.  I'm really not thrilled about this.  Luckily the headlight just needed unbolting and reseating, as did the grille.  I'll get the bonnet and bumper sorted eventually, fiddly stuff that takes forever and only really annoys me.

20160528-05.jpg

You'll notice the car now has a nose too.  I think it was MrBenn on Autoshite that sent me that badge, I'm not sure, it was a while ago and I can't remember.  Anyway, funny thing is the badge looks too big up close but when you see the car across a car park it looks about right.  It can stay for now until I make up my mind on whether or not I like it.

20160528-04.jpg

New back panel arrived today and the driver's side light is in the post.  I already know the light clusters are a straight swap but I wasn't so sure on the rear panel aside from it being the correct width.  First obvious difference is lock location, I never use the lock on the boot lid so this doesn't bother me too much but I should be able to move it if I really want to without too much trouble.

20160602-01.jpg

I offered the panel up to the boot of the 400 and the size and shape matches with one obvious exception: no holes for lights.  The Concerto rear panel houses the reversing lights and fog light (singular) so they need a different set up to the 400 boot lid.  The number plate recess is slightly different on the Concerto compared to the 400 but not so much that it causes any need to modify beyond making two new screw holes for the centre fixing that's hidden by the plate.

20160602-02.jpg

The easy solution, technically, is getting a Concerto boot lid.  There is a line of spot welds on the 400 boot lid so I suspect the only item changed between Honda and Rover is this outer panel pressing which will be the same on a Concerto saloon or hatchback.  Rather than undoing spotwelds and such I think it will be much less work to make some suitable light holes, drill fixings holes where needed and making a new removable trim piece for the bottom of the boot lid.  That solution also costs less and allows me to revert to the stock 400 rear end without any difficulty as it quite literally becomes a bolt-on/bolt-off modification.

20160602-03.jpg

lock is at the bottom on the 400, top on the Concerto.  Finding a Concerto saloon, let alone parts, is pretty much impossible.  So while swapping a red Concerto boot on seems the easy option, it's not likely to be possible.