AXually Sold! But There's Another AX For Sale...

rml2345

post-4786-0-47070400-1437196715_thumb.jpg

And so it begins...
As you've probably gathered by now, I'm off to pick up a Citroën AX.
Bit of background...
FATHA_RML's Omega failed the MOT a few weeks ago and was consigned to the great car park in the sky. It wasn't a massive failure list but it just wasn't loved enough to justify chucking more money at it. Meanwhile, I was making noises about selling Blob the Carisma. It's actually great at being a car. Comfortable, roomy, economical, reliable and a surprising good drive.
It's dull as fuck.
So he made an offer and the offer was accepted. So far so good.
But what to replace it with?
For some inexplicable reason I've wanted an AX for ages. There's just something about them that appeals, so a suitable example was located in Leicestershire and brother in law Swampy21 was roped into assisting with collection.
So now you're up to date, we can get started...

We've made it over the border with minimum fuss, apart from a nasty incident when the border guards at todhills asked Abe for his passport and was summarily beaten with a 5 day old roll and sausage.

Anyway, we're still north of Carlisle and coalville still looks a long way off.

Amazing what you'll do for a 1993 4-speed 1 litre AX.

I love the AX, I even wanted a purple one as my first car.  The driving position in them is so freakish that I couldn't do it.  Dreams shattered.

Indeed. The driving position is utterly, utterly horrible. Enjoy the drive home!

They are surprisingly indestructible though, and entertaining - even in 1-litre povo form.

They are fucking alright these. I had a "splash" one years ago,954 and 4 speed. Was mega on fuel and handled wobbly but really well. Good man!!

So did we, bought new when I had more money than sense. 

MrsDS was following me in my 740GLT Volvo in it one day and complained she couldn't keep up. So we swapped and she still couldn't keep up.

It was eventually sold on when the local riffraff realised how flimsy it was and only had to tap a panel for it to invert.

New owners will wonder what the metal ring sticking out at the back is for. Its so you can put the car on your keyring.

Top work, you won't regret it.  That's the spit of my first car - or at least it would be if it was dark blue and if it's leaking and burning as much oil as petrol.  Fun, characterful little cars and it remains the only one I was ever sad to see drive off with a new owner despite a constant love/hate relationship over the 3 years I had it.  Mine was knackered from years of neglect by previous owners and for the first two years I had it it broke down constantly but once I'd sorted its gremlins out it soldiered on for a further year with no trouble at all.  Terminal engine wear killed it not long after I sold it, I think, poor thing had 121,000 miles on it when I sold it but I don't think it'd seen an oil change for years before I bought it and it never really recovered.

Oh, and yes, the driving position is ridiculous.