Cheap van no longer 4 sale

wuvvum

I bought another van recently.  It seemed like a good idea at the time - the Boxer is due to run out of MOT, it needs some welding, and it's on the small side for my needs, so I thought a slightly bigger van with a longer MOT would be the way to go.  I wasn't even drunk at the time, although I was very tired.  So I ended up the proud owner of a 1999 VW LT28 MWB van, which is great, except being a 1999 it isn't LEZbianised, which is a bit of a drawback if, like me, you occasionally need to take a van into central London.  So it's back up for sale, and I'm just going to have to pull my finger out and weld up the Boxer.

The LT is a proper old-school van.  Rear wheel drive, proper chassis, electric nothing, and a good old-fashioned non-common rail non-turbo 5-cylinder diesel engine.  Proper gear lever on the floor too.  It makes the Boxer seem like a slightly-heavy-duty car in comparison.

It's MOT'd until the middle of October, so about three months left.  Being a 28 rather than the more common 35, the gross weight is under 3 tonnes so it qualifies for a Class 4 MOT and can be tested anywhere that does cars.  I've had a crawl round underneath and it looks to be a bloody solid old thing. 

It starts up easily and drives well, although obviously it's not the fastest van on the road.  It'll roll along at 70 if you need it to, but it's happier at 60-65.  It's not too bad on diesel for a vehicle of its size.  Engine and gearbox seem healthy - it's done 122K, which isn't a lot for a van this age.  It had a cambelt in June 2013 - I'm struggling to read the mileage, but the chap I bought it from reckoned about 90K, so it should have some life left in it.  The brakes brake, the steering steers.  The tyres are legal but not brilliant - especially at the front - although the spare is nearly new.  It's had an exhaust centre section fairly recently, but the tailpipe is blowing slightly - not loud enough to attract attention, just a bit of a fart, accentuated by the offbeat noise of a 5-pot engine.  It's a straight pipe so could probably be bandaged easily enough.

The interior isn't in bad nick for an old van - could do with a hoover and it has the usual tear in the driver's seat side bolster, but otherwise it's not bad.  It has a Sony stereo which works OK, although the speakers are gash.  Lights, wipers, horn etc. all work, as does the heater.

Bodywork is presentable enough for a 16-year-old van - odd rust spots here and there but most could be toucher up if need be.  The worst bit is the side loading door, which is dented.

The main issue with the van is locks.  The ignition lock has part of the key snapped off in the barrel.  The van is started with the rest of the key (there's a spare complete key for the doors), and starts up happily enough, but then there's nothing to hold the key in the barrel so you have to take it out, and then put it back in again when you want to switch off - not the end of the world, but a minor irritation.  The side loading door has lost its original locking mechanism and is held closed with a padlock.  The rear doors also lock with a padlock, and at the moment they only open from inside for some reason - the lock mechanism needs fiddling with.  Cab doors lock and unlock OK though.  So it's all secure, just not quite as Volkswagen intended.

Shiters' price: £450.

Pictures:

post-190-0-41396200-1437170249_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-57550500-1437170289_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-58626900-1437170353_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-26463900-1437170390_thumb.jpg

post-190-0-97628300-1437170788_thumb.jpg

Located in NE Norfolk.

Dammit.  I bought a Mk4 golf (modern toss) as a daily driver recently otherwise I'd have had this simply for the lolz of using it to go to and from work.

However, storage of such a beast isn't really something I can do at the moment.. but this seems remarkably good value for someone.