Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seriously (no really) interesting stuff about electric cars

• Please log in to reply
586 replies to this topic

#571 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 5,428 posts
  • 31 thanks

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:22 PM

Almost certainly going to buy a Leaf if my Mrs ever bothers learning to drive - she wants to drive automatic and I want an electric car to fuck about with :D.
  • loserone and brandersnatch like this
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

#572 OFFLINE   txe4

txe4

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

Teslas are beyond reach, the Ionique is in short supply, VW dealers are arse holes, you might want to nip into your nearest Kia dealer and see what they say...

I think the Soul EV on PCH is the cheapest way into a new EV at the moment - but you don't get the good deal by going to a dealer, you get it from drive-electric.co.uk.

• 320touring likes this

#573 OFFLINE   somewhatfoolish

somewhatfoolish

• Full Members
  • 1,148 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationArgyll&Buteshire

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:34 PM

This is an opportune moment to confess to being an electron fondler; I'm SWF and I drive a shite electric van, although it's a modernz so probs doesn't really belong in here.
  • loserone and txe4 like this

Thanked by 1 Member:
loserone

#574 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 5,428 posts
  • 31 thanks

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

Get into the modarn section and start a thread about it - I’m very keen to learn more!
  • loserone likes this
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1

#575 OFFLINE   txe4

txe4

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:39 PM

This is an opportune moment to confess to being an electron fondler; I'm SWF and I drive a shite electric van, although it's a modernz so probs doesn't really belong in here.

An ENV200 or one of those very shite Peugeot lash-ups?

#576 OFFLINE   Tayne

Tayne

• Full Members
  • 11,930 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationThe Granite City of Aberdeen

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

Is it a Bedford Rascal with a belly full of lead acid?

It always amuses me that e46s vie with the PT Cruiser as the car that's too shit for Autoshite, 

#577 OFFLINE   Tayne

Tayne

• Full Members
  • 11,930 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationThe Granite City of Aberdeen

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:33 PM

Geek out with the gearbox from an electric 4x4.

https://m.youtube.co...eature=youtu.be
  • garethj likes this

It always amuses me that e46s vie with the PT Cruiser as the car that's too shit for Autoshite, 

#578 OFFLINE   Alan_Green

Alan_Green

• Full Members
  • 895 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationFleet Services, UK.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

My life's work has been for nothing!  All those decades studying Free-ads...Loot...Scottish Auto Mart...Autotrader...Ebay...Parkers...Glass's Guide...going to auctions...weighing up depreciation/MPG/road tax/insurance/repair costs/tyre costs.  Only buying older vehicles privately for cash.  Generally trying to beat the system.  Sad I know, but I enjoy the arithmetic and you have to think about something when you've nothing else on your mind.  My mother-in-law thinks about trees and wild flowers.  A good friend thinks about migratory birds. My mind defaults to this stuff.

Anyway, on a whim I punched electric vehicles into my OCD spreadsheet.  Didn't take long to work out that a 2016 BMW i3 Rex would be £90 per month less to run (all things considered) than my current wheels (2009 diesel Transit Connect) and slightly less than a 2016 diesel Dacia Sandero.  That can't be right, surely? How can <2 yr old approved used £18,500 BMW be less than an 8 year old £3,500 diesel Transit?  Checked and double checked the figures and it was true, so went out and bought this:

BMW i3.jpg BMW i3 (2).jpg

It's a 28th Feb 2016 BMW i3 Rex 60 AH. 16,000 miles, 1 owner. The £2ish overnight charge will take it the first 65 to 85 miles depending on the weather (83 miles today) then the "Rex" (Range Extender - a 647cc BMW scooter engine) kicks in and acts as a generator, generating enough electricity to keep it going indefinitely at 70mph @ 45mpg.  This particular spec is in a bit of a depreciation sweet spot because it's the last of the 60ah models.  The newer 94ah battery models go 50% further on electricity, but start at £25K and the figures just didn't work.  2014 i3 Rexs' with 60K sell for about £15K.  New price is about £37K minus £4.5K grant.  WBAC price on my one is £18,000.

That the costs.  How about the drive?  My god, it's like something from the 25th century.  The speed, the comfort, the silence, the brakes, the sheer driving pleasure. This is a big development guys. As big as the invention of the internet.  Try to test drive an EV.  I do 18K per year in 90ish mile a day chunks, 30 miles of which is in slow London traffic.  Up until now I've refused to drive during the day but yesterday I relented and found myself in a jam outside Harrods at 4pm going nowhere fast.  Normally this would be hell, but this time it was a pleasure.  Basically sitting in a heated armchair listening to Radio 6 looking around at the fashionable people.  Then zooming off at lightning speed when the traffic breaks.

The gadgets are cool, while they work, but the underlying engineering and carbon fibre body seem sound.  So I won't be too bothered when the automatic parallel parking or phone app or whatever fails.  And I reckon there will be a battery upgrade available a few years down the line.  Personally I don't want much to do with public charging. It's unreliable at the moment and I reckon it will become chaotic soon and for quite a few years while EVs become more popular and the infrastructure catches up.

If you fancy saying "Sod Buying Petrol...Sod Road Tax...Sod Rust...Sod Noise...Sod the Congestion Charge...Sod Being Slow...Sod Nox & CO2 emissions" there's a superior spec but 2015 BMW i3 in orange/red on Facebook for £17,750 ono.  And if any regulars want to test drive this, let me know.  But be warned, you might have to find another hobby.  My lifetime interest in fossil fuel vehicles has diminished to zero.  They all seem so expensive, noisy, slow and irrelevant.  A head full of facts and figures straight in the bin leaving me a bit lost and confused. Wonder if there's a support group. Suppose I'll have have to buy a book on ornithology!

i3 £17,750.PNG

• Spottedlaurel, garethj, Tayne and 9 others like this
  • 1975 Beetle - World's Least Convincing Herbie Lookalike (NFS).
  • 1982 Mazda Montrose 626 Coupe RWD - "Wilfred's Mazda" (NFS).
  • 2009 Transit Connect LWB Factory 5 Seater (NFS).

#579 ONLINE   320touring

320touring

• Full Members
  • 8,668 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:56 PM

I'd be interested to see the numbers on the i3 comparison - sounds interesting!

May be more achievable than buying a new one outright, or dealing with limited 'old tech' Leaf range
Read about my chod based adventures here:
http://fuguttycars.wordpress.com/

#580 OFFLINE   txe4

txe4

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 48 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

The i3 is a stunning bit of kit, no question. Owners love them.

It's a real shame it only takes a single gallon of petrol at once!

Totally agree on the smoothness/quiet/enjoyment thing. The year I did in the LEAF spoiled me for ever driving ICE again - and was also the cheapest 10k miles I'll ever do.

Also totally agree with not engaging with the whole public charging farce; the situation with Source London is particularly unfortunate. Don't discount it entirely - for example if there's a car park you use anyway, or could use, that happens to have charging - but not planning to NEED it is 100% right.

Only thing that worries me is the enormous out of warranty repair costs for the i3. One repair will blow your numbers up really badly.

Great car - please keep us posted.
  • egg likes this

#581 OFFLINE   Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• Administrators
  • 966 posts
  • 152 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

I had a Leaf on test for a week. I loved it. On the one occasion where I attempted to use a public charger I couldn't figure out how to plug the damn thing in.

• tooSavvy likes this

#582 OFFLINE   tooSavvy

tooSavvy

tooSerious x far..!

• Full Members
  • 5,643 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWallsend on Tyne

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

I had a Leaf on test for a week. I loved it. On the one occasion where I attempted to use a public charger I couldn't figure out how to plug the damn thing in.

Class this as a No[mis]fuel then..?

Given either will maroon you soon after departure :/

TS

Wallsend?.....it's not the End of the Walled ;<)

35942490325_3f0da8b633_m.jpgSUCKS

#583 OFFLINE   loserone

loserone

Leafer

• Full Members
  • 1,386 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Locationbehind the tree

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

It's a 28th Feb 2016 BMW i3 Rex 60 AH. 16,000 miles, 1 owner. 

Would you be happy to start a thread in the Modern section please? I'd love to hear more about this day to day, as I'm sure would others.

• The Moog, forddeliveryboy, 320touring and 1 other like this

Leaf and 405 with no head.

Moaty's cat's back, Zak.

#584 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 7,816 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:35 PM

saw one of these - as an ambulance yesterday

wtf :D

#585 OFFLINE   egg

egg

Just another content provider

• Full Members
  • 3,578 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationDown the Bay, Kent

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

A bit style over substance, but interesting info on the next gen VWs.

• RayMK likes this
1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 GLX , 2002 Ford Fusion 3 1.6 pez

#586 ONLINE   bigstraight6

bigstraight6

• Full Members
  • 1,254 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

I had a go in a friends BMW 3 series hybrid last weekend and too say I was hugely impressed would be an understatement, it’s an amazing piece of kit as is the i3, but I fear it will be a very long time before I could consider owning such a vehicle, and there’s the problem for most people and certainly just about all on this forum...
Posted Image

#587 OFFLINE   forddeliveryboy

forddeliveryboy

• Full Members
  • 8,424 posts
  • 18 thanks
  • LocationEurope

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:06 PM

That the costs. How about the drive? My god, it's like something from the 25th century. The speed, the comfort, the silence, the brakes, the sheer driving pleasure. This is a big development guys.

The gadgets are cool, while they work, but the underlying engineering and carbon fibre body seem sound.

Totally agree - from the minute I saw the i3 specs it was clear how good it was likely to be, it sticks two fingers up at mindless fashion beautifully. But, not profitable enough so will probably be replaced with a much more cheaply-constructed car.

Having driven both, I'd choose one over a Tesla any day. Here's a couple of links you may enjoy. https://jalopnik.com...nd-o-1787205420

https://www.forbes.c.../3958851958001/

Fun fact: the tyres fitted as standard are relatively taller and skinnier than on a 2cv.
  • loserone likes this

Thanked by 1 Member:
loserone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users