Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seriously (no really) interesting stuff about electric cars

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 4,007 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

I like the idea that if you have sat nav in an electric car, and it knows how far you intend to travel, and that at full pelt, you'll probably not get to your destination, so it talks to the electricity, and only allows a proportion of the available power to be delivered, thus allowing you to get to said destination.

• myglaren likes this

#32 OFFLINE   RayMK

RayMK

• Full Members
  • 714 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationMidlands

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:39 PM

If after absorbing the green propaganda, we were all overcome by guilt and flocked to electric car showrooms to buy the things, what would be the environmental impact of the huge increase in electricity usage and battery production?   ....and would the usually vacant electric car charging spaces in car parks be overwhelmed by the demand?  

I'm not against electric cars.  Their mechanical cleanliness and smooth, quiet power delivery is attractive. Range, recharge time, battery life, weight and cost are, as many have commented, areas needing major improvement. 

There are several fields of solar panels in Northants.  Grass won't grow very well in the permanent shade, so sheep would soon have to graze elsewhere.  Mushrooms could be the answer.

#33 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:26 PM

They sometimes have a few sheep to keep the grass down between the panels.
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#34 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 24,058 posts
  • 26 thanks

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

I like the idea that if you have sat nav in an electric car, and it knows how far you intend to travel, and that at full pelt, you'll probably not get to your destination, so it talks to the electricity, and only allows a proportion of the available power to be delivered, thus allowing you to get to said destination.

The problem here is that predicted range can quite easily drop below total to your destination - due to hills etc. Which is when you really need the power to get up the hills! Then you come down the other side, and the numbers start looking less scary. It's very hard to predict how much energy you'll need for a journey.

• RayMK likes this

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1995 Lexus LS400
1997 Honda S-MX, 2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twatter

#35 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,569 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

I was mulling over the whole "I'm a petrolhead, electric motors will never replace the feel of a good petrol engine" thing.  The first thought that came to me was when I was travelling up the motorway in a new Honda CRV.  You can only hear tyre noise and of course the radio & satnav with a bit of wind noise too.  Engine noise in most modern cars is almost nothing.

The character of an electric motor can be as distinctive as any other type of engine.  In my early teenage years I had one of these

top.jpg

It came with the Tamiya RS540 motor which was certainly better than the RS380 in my friend's Holiday Buggy, but soon I upgraded to an MG Buggy Special motor.  This had a little more power and you could tell the difference straight away.

Time passed, I started racing and moved on to a Mardave Meteor.

Meteor-51.jpg

This was light and responsive, all the things the Tamiya cars weren't.  I soon changed the motor for a Parma 22 turn double wind thing that was really smooth and very fast.  Another racer was having great results with a Demon Mr T (this was the '80s) so I tried one of them.  Not only was it as fast as the Parma but the punch out of corners was amazing.

Why am I taking you down this ramble down memory lane?  Firstly to see who else did this kind of nonsense before discovering girls, and secondly to show that just because it's an electric motor, they're not all the same and a good one can have character of its own, just like a petrol engine.

I also remember tweaking the timing on some of the motors, I look forward to seeing the kits in Halfords for the Prius in 10 years time.

• forddeliveryboy, Lacquer Peel, inconsistant and 2 others like this

The Porsche 928 is terrifying, yet oddly alluring. It's like spending the night with that Jo Frost Supernanny woman

#36 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 24,058 posts
  • 26 thanks

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:13 AM

That's true. Typically, the e-Golf makes barely any motor noise and isn't very inspiring. LEAF is better. Tesla Model S makes an enjoyable whirr. Doesn't really beat a multi cylinder engine though, or get close to that level of excitement.
Seeing as I drive a turbo diesel XM rather than a V6, it seems I am prepared to live with less aural excitement.

#37 OFFLINE   Formula Autos

Formula Autos

• Full Members
  • 1,279 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationin the glow of Sellafield

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

I live in what has now been termed "Britain's Energy Coast" in West Cumbria. Who decided this is unclear - one day it just was, with a government quango type organisation called BEC setting up offices, buying up land, and running around in liveried Nissan LEAFs almost overnight.

We've now got onshore and offshore windfarms, with solar farms and a development of a massive complex of 3 nuclear power stations opposite Sellafield's main gate in the offing. Other schemes such as tidal power are being investigated as well at the moment.

Britain is gearing up to have loads of "clean" energy being generated in the next few years. Much of it happening here.

Given that, electric cars may make more sense when all this is up and running. The nuclear power stations we're promised should be producing 7% of the UK's expected power needs in around a decade, according to the propoganda put through my letterbox recently.

There also seems to be a relatively sensible programme to have the nuclear waste dealt with over the road in Sellafield, in an existing reprocessing/storage set-up, without carting it around the country on trains.

A lot of thought and money seems to be going into all this.
  • Asimo likes this

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Hello Buglers!

#38 ONLINE   inconsistant

inconsistant

crude by today's standards

• Full Members
  • 2,264 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 02 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

Firstly to see who else did this kind of nonsense before discovering girls, and secondly to show that just because it's an electric motor, they're not all the same and a good one can have character of its own, just like a petrol engine.

Predictably, yes me. These filled the gap betweem Scalextric (the first time around) and girls:

rc cars.jpg

Both Tamiya, 4wd Hotshot and Brat.

I seem to remember range and charge time were an issue back in the 80s too. We focussed available money on upgrading to fast chargers and better batteries for maximum lols.

924: Likely to dislove a bit slower than anything elas on my chod for a gran list

"It did indeed require a certain, not too small, amount of social courage to be seen riding this unconventional bicycle. One could be sure that everybody would be looking, some with great amusement."

"The problem with the automobile today consists precisely in the fact that the automobile is not a problem... Love only rarely listens to reason." Wolfgang Sachs, 1984

http://autoshite.com...-anus/?p=467251

#39 OFFLINE   brickwall

brickwall

weasel

• Full Members
  • 5,339 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationStirlingshire

Posted 02 August 2015 - 02:11 PM

The technology is improving.

That's my big worry.

• Nibblet likes this

1992 Range-Rover 3.9 lpg
1999 Rover 25
2002 Volvo C70 Convertible
Various stuff...

#40 OFFLINE   Nibblet

Nibblet

• Full Members
  • 2,647 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationGlouchestershite

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

They sometimes have a few sheep to keep the grass down between the panels.

Attached Images

• images.jpeg

• brickwall likes this
1972 Volvo 164 (quite nice)
1972 Saab 96 (pond algae green)
1988 Benz 230E, it's red, very red.
1994 Volkswagen T4 1.9D Max powah

#41 OFFLINE   forddeliveryboy

forddeliveryboy

• Full Members
  • 7,735 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

Why am I taking you down this ramble down memory lane?  Firstly to see who else did this kind of nonsense before discovering girls, and secondly to show that just because it's an electric motor, they're not all the same and a good one can have character of its own, just like a petrol engine.

Totally agree garethj, there's a lot of development to come regarding the sound of electric cars. Future generations will perhaps seek out the first tentative C21st EVs with no noise generation as obscure rarities. I'm hoping they'll use software which emulates the sound of Alfa flat fours and V6s, Cit flat twins, the more sonorous Yank V8s as well as Commer 2 strokes for delivery vans.

I live in what has now been termed "Britain's Energy Coast" in West Cumbria. Who decided this is unclear - one day it just was, with a government quango type organisation called BEC setting up offices, buying up land, and running around in liveried Nissan LEAFs almost overnight.

We've now got onshore and offshore windfarms, with solar farms and a development of a massive complex of 3 nuclear power stations opposite Sellafield's main gate in the offing. Other schemes such as tidal power are being investigated as well at the moment.

Britain is gearing up to have loads of "clean" energy being generated in the next few years. Much of it happening here.

The nuclear power stations we're promised should be producing 7% of the UK's expected power needs in around a decade, according to the propoganda put through my letterbox recently.

There also seems to be a relatively sensible programme to have the nuclear waste dealt with over the road in Sellafield, in an existing reprocessing/storage set-up, without carting it around the country on trains.

A lot of thought and money seems to be going into all this.

Trouble is, now the UK taxpayer/HMG is keen to make industry pay a little more of the vast cost of nuclear, things aren't so straightforwards. http://www.businessg...clear-subsidies

But I agree, a lot of thought and money are invovled. Let's just hope that the nuclear lobby doesn't get its own way, tidal barrages and other tidal energy is the way to go if we're not to be tied to a financial rock and lashed with more debt and more inflated energy bills.

#42 OFFLINE   Ghosty

Ghosty

Some people get all the breaks...

• Full Members
  • 6,287 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationManchester

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:12 PM

Regular Car Reviews on the YouTubes put up a review of the Tesla today.

An amusing yet interesting watch if you can tolerate the US-oriented humour.

There are videos about demonstrating that the Model S is too powerful for dynos, it climbs off the rollers :grin:

1987 Volvo 740 GLE

#43 OFFLINE   J-Rod

J-Rod

• Full Members
  • 689 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationExiled to Hertfordshire from Swansea

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

Regular Car Reviews on the YouTubes put up a review of the Tesla today.

An amusing yet interesting watch if you can tolerate the US-oriented humour.

There are videos about demonstrating that the Model S is too powerful for dynos, it climbs off the rollers :-D

I like that review. My boss did a similar one, not so long back and was raving about the 'amazing acceleration' (which wasn't even the point of the review; he was on about the DAB radio in these things..). 

ANYWAY. 

Despite loving cars that go 'vroom-vroom', there's part of me that really wants to see leccy cars catch on properly and become main sellers in ranges, rather than just having 'the electric version of so-and-so', like the Golf mentioned at the start of this post. I would like to think that's not that far off - while the charging points aren't as numerous as regular petrol stations, I did a quick check today and I could easily do the journey from Letchworth G-C to Abertawe in one, without having to worry about where the next charge was going to come from. 

Interesting times.. 

#44 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,569 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

I think we should send our bearded roving reporter into Llandrindod Wells to have a look at this.  Their business model seems more modern than the Autoshite method (leasing rather than buying and spending more than a car is worth) but the car looks interesting.

• Skizzer likes this

The Porsche 928 is terrifying, yet oddly alluring. It's like spending the night with that Jo Frost Supernanny woman

#45 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 24,058 posts
  • 26 thanks

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

Already working on it. Waiting for them to finish their next prototype at the moment.
A relative has a Model S and has apparently done more miles in it this summer than I've done in the XM in a year. Has fired my Electric Desires right back up.

#46 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 2,891 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Bugger,

I looked at that and thought the name looked familiar.  I was outside thier old office the other week and had no idea they were a car company.  They are looking for new recruits and I've just moved in the opposite direction (having looked at a few houses in Wales but deciding they were too far from work).

96 Disastra Estate in Vulgalours hat purple
94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

#47 OFFLINE   Tayne

Tayne

• Full Members
  • 11,720 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationThe Granite City of Aberdeen

Posted 30 September 2015 - 10:32 PM

I see that working really well* on Hydrogen.

There's ten thousand petrol stations in the UK, over five thousand electric car charging pints (plus every three pin plug) but only 14 hydrogen stations.

As RiverSimple want to provide the fuel as part of their deal I'd love to know they will accomplish that.

Tous les Vauxhalls sont des merdes

#48 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,569 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 01 October 2015 - 05:11 AM

They could always put a few jerry cans on the roofrack and appeal to the youth market

• ShiteRider likes this

#49 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 8,753 posts
  • 13 thanks

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

There's ten thousand petrol stations in the UK, over five thousand electric car charging pints (plus every three pin plug) but only 14 hydrogen stations.

As RiverSimple want to provide the fuel as part of their deal I'd love to know they will accomplish that.

It sounds like they are trialling the cars near hydrogen fuelling infrastructure, you won't be allowed to take part if you live in Durness.

#50 OFFLINE   Tayne

Tayne

• Full Members
  • 11,720 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationThe Granite City of Aberdeen

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:55 AM

my point was more along the lines that rather than;
Use a lot of energy to make hydrogen
And then create a whole new infrastructure across the country

It would have been a lot easier and a lot more profitable to build an electric car.
Tous les Vauxhalls sont des merdes

#51 OFFLINE   UltraWomble

UltraWomble

Wombling Free since 1971

• Full Members
  • 4,825 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationGranadaLand

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

Why am I taking you down this ramble down memory lane?  Firstly to see who else did this kind of nonsense before discovering girls,

I still do.

The Picasso is the future Morris Minor.

15432673358_e48791f84f_t.jpg

#52 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 24,058 posts
  • 26 thanks

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:22 AM

I don't fully understand it myself. Are they hoping hydrogen infrastructure will be more widespread once the car is actually production ready?

#53 OFFLINE   Breadvan72

Breadvan72

Banned

• Banned
  • 6,853 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationOxfordshire Shire

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:55 AM

12009840_989231521099902_785502623421622976_n.jpg

• garethj, Tayne, The Moog and 1 other like this
1975 Triumph Dolomite Sprint 1979 Lancia Beta 1600 Coupe (work in progress) 1980 Yamaha RD125 DX1981 Austin-Morris Sherpa 2.0 Autosleeper1982 Moto Morini 350 Strada1983 Rover SD1 2600 SE1992 Jaguar XJS 4.0 (work not in progress)1994 UMM 4x4 Alter II - Phase 3 - 2.5D<p>1998 Honda CG125 CDI

#54 OFFLINE   jonny69

jonny69

• Full Members
  • 1,598 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:19 AM

I'll call devil's advocate on you there, because I've got a hydrogen refuelling station right on my doorstep but up until that link I had no idea where you would buy a fuel cell powered car.

I don't fully understand it myself. Are they hoping hydrogen infrastructure will be more widespread once the car is actually production ready?

Like one of the well-known fuel cell developers in London, I would expect that they work quite closely with either a university and/or one of the national laboratories researching the field. You have a chicken and egg situation but there's also the need to trial the technology to see if it's logistically possible. This is why there are a small number of hydrogen refuelling stations and why there are buses and other vehicles trialling fuel cells.

It's not going to be as low in CO2 as it would be in an established infrastructure with economies of scale and proper production efficiencies, but that's the nature of research.

b5dySaj.jpg

Also seen as Kinnock

#55 OFFLINE   jonny69

jonny69

• Full Members
  • 1,598 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:22 AM

On a lighter note, this is hilarious*

b5dySaj.jpg

Also seen as Kinnock

#56 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 38,408 posts
  • 28 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:56 AM

I need to go and get me a V12 soon.

I might live to the day when this electro bollocks becomes mandatory after all and then I'll regret every inch I haven't driven proper cars.

This brainwash works well though, I was really concerned about The Planet™ here for a second, uhuh.

• gnorwebthgimi likes this

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

#57 OFFLINE   Asimo

Asimo

Hondamatic

• Full Members
  • 4,368 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationRe-booting....

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:12 AM

As usual, someone in Japan has already done it.

Capture.PNG

#58 OFFLINE   Pete-M

Pete-M

ALL VXLs ARE SHIT.

• Full Members
  • 8,722 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationThe Glorious Peoples Republic of Liverpool.

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

I tried a Tesla 85 recently.

Very very quick.

214837.png 180526.png

Never knowingly inoffensive.

#59 ONLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 24,058 posts
  • 26 thanks

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:07 PM

What the hell has gone wrong at the Toyota design office? Who thought that was acceptable?
  • Junkman likes this

#60 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 38,408 posts
  • 28 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

Yeah, looks like it was banger raced.

1967 Renault 16 TL............................................now with floor and MoT

1971 Mercedes 280SE............................................................fucked

1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users