My Vehicular Activities

michael1703

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm guessing it was from his last post: http://autoshite.com/topic/26892-grumpy-old-manpedant-threadplease-feel-free-to-add/page-2148?do=findComment&comment=1280275

Also read the posts after that for more context.

TL;DR something was said that really wasn't nice and very personal about someone. A mod deleted said post.

Now he's asked to be removed according to: http://autoshite.com/topic/29145-michael1703/

afaik.

For the record, I'm not interested in the whys and wherefores of preceding arguments.

I bumped this thread to draw attention to the fact that good members (and thus good content) are STILL being lost to irrelevant backbiting.

While I very much agree that the backbiting is harming the content on the forum, it's not like he was an annoyed third party to someone else's argument. He was very much the instigator of the incident that caused him to leave, and he was the one who chose to leave rather than face up to the fact that his joke (if it was one) was very poorly received. There's not much we can do about that.

He may have his requested to leave for reason very different from above and his own reasons to choose that, to be fair. Maybe its worth the forum having a user state other than banned to be deactivated on request or no longer a member, etc?

He may have his requested to leave for reason very different from above and his own reasons to choose that, to be fair. Maybe its worth the forum having a user state other than banned to be deactivated on request or no longer a member, etc?

The gist from the moderation team was that the latter two weren't possible. Hirst wasn't afforded either of those options. 

I didn't hear anything out of michael1703 after it happened. I'm not sorry for reporting him. I may have spats on here with people but I'm not in the habit of reporting people. 

He made a joke out of me when I was very fucking low indeed. That's why I reported him. You don't kick someone when they're down. 

So, mods - is deactivation by request possible or not? 

Deletion of the posts and threads completely screws up any forum and its flow, so I can understand why the admins+mods are a bit loathed to do this. I was just thinking that having it marked as something else to banned would just look better for the mods - otherwise it looks like it was the mods choosing the ban, not that it was the user in question choice?

As has been said to a few: if anyone wants to leave, nobody is stopping you. More than one person has asked to be removed, more than one person was refused, then more than one person (despite a tantrum in some cases) actually ended up staying.