FLAWED SNAIL Rover 820 Sterling Fast*back automatic £170

Partridge

Hello gang.

Here we have for sale this 1998 Rover 820 Sterling. The MoT runs out at the end of this month. "Get you home tax" (at the moment, I may sorn it in a few days when XOG gets back on the road). £170 or £200 with spare middle box. Avaliable once I get the V5 through the post, which in fine form, the DVLA is taking fucking forever to deliver.

I bought the car with the intention of tidying it up before moving it on, however I really can't be arsed. A previous owner has lowered it and it has warped brake discs up front.

This bit is important: The car will need new tyres or part worns before being driven away, which I'm happy to do have done at home on the buyers expense. It turned out the original ones had degraded, to the extent one de-laminted one me...The scary thing was, it looked fine before hand.

Or of course, trailer it away. But I won't let it be driven away as it is.

Bad bits:

One rear wheel arch has a large rust scap on it.

Has very badly blowing middle box.

May need a jacking point patching. 

Header tank is patched over with fibre glass, but amazingly, it does the job.

Sometimes, the gearbox smells of burning and slurrs its changes too much.

Engine has a bad oil leak in several places.

No idea which places they are exactly.

ABS light sometimes comes off. Then it goes off again. The ABS does seem to work, as I tried locking the brakes and failed.

Has shit paint.

Has dash lift.

Good bits:

Driven it about 300 miles and it's not broken down.

Leather seats are nice.

It's green.

Err, other bits:

Aftermarket sound system.

It has a moto build suspension, so is SLAMMED YO. Handles flat but horrible to drive in every other way. Needs TLC quite badly.

May break for spares...And keep them all for me :-D

Links to PICHOORRS.

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11401090_493561180795427_1191697209205909571_n.jpg?oh=5e943c3c285c43f64c03aaea082b992d&oe=56137474

https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11406877_491419544342924_1395093427677667609_n.jpg?oh=af4d3175dc2294206f468062f8556292&oe=5632ED5B

Random girl looking at camera not included.

TLDR: £200 with the middle box, £170 without it. Needs new tyres before going anyway. Short MoT. Has braking issues, but currently stops fine.

Cheers mate. Just want it out the way before the MoT runs out really. If not I'll probably break it, and I'll probably end up with what I paid for it (£350) worth in spares anyway. And then I will post little bits of it to all your BASTARDS for not buying it to make you all feel bad.

It terrifies me that this is only worth £200. Looks fantastic. Worth that for the wheels alone (despite Lord Sterling hating them).

Alas one 800 is enough for me. GLWS.

You haven't driven it. Regard it as high-quality misery for a bargain price of £200. Mis-shapen tyres would explain a lot of its problems.

And yes, it looks very cool in the right light and it sits nicely on its back breaking Moto Build suspension.

Then you drive it. Then you have to use the worn-out PCF steering.

It has to be worth Partridge's asking price for the interior and suspension (even if the latter needs rebuilding). Sadly it confirmed a lot of the things I'd suspected about 800s (which wasn't flattering to begin with).

I don't want the fucking thing.

Thought it best to clarify that, but I think it's the best looking 800 I've seen since Tony Pond went to the Isle of Man.

Saying that,the last thing 800's need is less suspension travel and if the ride is anything like my old Moto-build demonstrator Montego ,it must be seriously unpleasant. Moto Build set ups seem to be ideal for using on actual racing cars and definitely not flawed to begin with barges.

The only way you could get better value misery would be to staple your foreskin to a nettle, then dribble a trail of sugar going to a nest of fire ants to your ballsack, while watching a Britain's Got Talent Omnibus having lemon juice squirted in your eyes by Hitler.

And yes, I totally agree about the suspension thing. GR9 4 RAECING but not for a Rover 800 which lives in the Fens.

Even without the non-mishapen tyres, it's horrible to drive, Jon.

To be honest I'm tempted to use the seats to make some pretty classy furniture. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How big/expensive a job do we reckon it would be to undo the slamming shit?

Sell the suspension for ££££s. Moto Build stuff is fairly valuable.

Buy standard suspension with profit. It would then go from having absolutely no suspension travel to not quite enough.

Done?

Sell the suspension for ££££s. Moto Build stuff is fairly valuable.Buy standard suspension with profit. It would then go from having absolutely no suspension travel to not quite enough.Done?

About right to be honest, there are lots of middle-aged wannabe "boy racers" on Rover forums who are chomping at the bit to modify thier 800 into a wannabe Turbo with big wheels and Moto-Bodge suspension kits. I say buy car, offer wheels + suspension as swap against standard and watch your inbox fill up.

I've got some standard wheels laying about waiting to be fitted to one of my 800s, but whilst they are waiting I'm happy to help out those who might need it. Got no suspension parts but will put the feelers out of anyone is interested.

Also, this car is the extremely rarer shade of Green called "Woodcote Green" See difference:

IMG_1004.jpg

Woodcote vs BRG

About right to be honest, there are lots of middle-aged wannabe "boy racers" on Rover forums who are chomping at the bit to modify thier 800 into a wannabe Turbo with big wheels and Moto-Bodge suspension kits. I say buy car, offer wheels + suspension as swap against standard and watch your inbox fill up.

I've got some standard wheels laying about waiting to be fitted to one of my 800s, but whilst they are waiting I'm happy to help out those who might need it. Got no suspension parts but will put the feelers out of anyone is interested.

Also, this car is the extremely rarer shade of Green called "Woodcote Green" See difference:

IMG_1004.jpg

Woodcote vs BRG

Stop it! Now you're making me want to hold on to it!

It's now starting on and off making the sort of sound your bed does during vigorous intercourse when driving down the road. Fast running out of patience for this.

TIME 2 DIE ROEVER SOZ M8

If the sound is anything like the sound of our bed during intercourse it must be a good un. Almost silent and any noises are rare and intermittent. In fact so rare it was last heard in 2004. 😡

Can I have the mats, radio and CD changer please?

I know it's not been well looked after since Ryan had it, but really, what are we talking here? Balljoints and possibly lower arms sound like the likely culprit of squeekyness, shod on some new tyres, or in fact, pick up a whole set of alloys with tyres for what it costs to replace tyres on those rims.

Pick up a Volvo 850 expansion tank to replace the existing one, a general service and I'm guessing you will have yourself a fairly good amd solid car if nowt else.

Personally I'd happily give it home, but I've too much stuff on right now, missus, flat, no job again, Merc and other Rovers all needing some sort attention.