Rover 75 Diesel

oldcars

• 2 weeks later...

What needs doing now?

Could be worse, you could have just been hit with a £5000 bill for a new Central Heating boiler and unless the new one has an automatic sunblind, I will never be happy about it!

Nightmare, is that what the boiler is costing? We have insurance i think on ours, bet it covers nothing.

There is a terrible knocking and banging coming from the front. My wife has had enough of it, i don't blame her to be honest. I'm sick of it too. Mot up end of month, i think it will be gone.

Nightmare, is that what the boiler is costing? We have insurance i think on ours, bet it covers nothing.

There is a terrible knocking and banging coming from the front. My wife has had enough of it, i don't blame her to be honest. I'm sick of it too. Mot up end of month, i think it will be gone.

Could be drop links, or bottom arms. Not that steep to do and shouldnt cost a lot in labour!

Could be drop links, or bottom arms. Not that steep to do and shouldnt cost a lot in labour!

Just had both, bottom arms last mot and drop links just when the clutch was done. When you go over a small bump it bangs, like you have no tyre on and the wheel judders.

Just had both, bottom arms last mot and drop links just when the clutch was done. When you go over a small bump it bangs, like you have no tyre on and the wheel judders.

Strange does sound like a drop link, if cheap ones have been used then they may have gone again.

I was thinking of fragging/roffling mine in May 2019 when MOT is up, but I really want to keep it so I'm going to get it as mint as poss and keep on top of the maintenance. 

I had a set of Cheap No-Make ECP Special drop links on my Vectra, lasted about 6 months!

You can reach the droplinks from under the front of the car when its on the ground. Give them a shoogle to see if there is any play, thats how I flushed out the knick from the osf of mine.

I have learned from 75 ownership that its a very strong case of TADTS, acfepting that the car will never be perfect, because old Rover, and finding which foibles you can live with and others not. I can live with the noisy clutch release bearing, the leaking steering rack, the coolant and oil leak and non working rad fans. Oh and the warm air con. I am enjoying it much more as a result!

As the other two have said, drop-links are most likely the cause. Aftermarket ones do not tend to have a very long lifespan.

However please stick with it if that is all it comes down to. Yours is in amazing condition and is in excellent hands (much better than mine is with me anyway).

What needs doing now?

Could be worse, you could have just been hit with a £5000 bill for a new Central Heating boiler and unless the new one has an automatic sunblind, I will never be happy about it!

£5000!? Are you having 3 fitted?

Avoid british gas like the plague. I can you usually halve their quotes.

They can be a pain in the arse these cars. I was confident that I had got my V6 in stonkingly good condition. Last job on my to do list was to have the cambelts done.

It's in for those at the moment but while it's there the thermostat has found to be developing a leak & a coil pack melted and killed the ECU.

Don't know what the bill is going to be yet!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mine must a bad one, it constantly needs £££ at it. As much as i like it i would never have another.

Well I kind of agree, but then , If you where to get a new car that may just aswell need the same amount spending on it,I'd get yours mint and stick with it then you know what you've spent and you know its right... something different might well cost you more! 

Well I kind of agree, but then , If you where to get a new car that may just aswell need the same amount spending on it,I'd get yours mint and stick with it then you know what you've spent and you know its right... something different might well cost you more!

Agreed. If my Volvo hadn't have been written off, there would have been expenditure due soon that would have been comparable to what my 75s cost to maintain.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk