Wanted!!! Ford Granada Mk 1 or Ford Consul 1972-1977

shado3

Fantastic how good the Ford PR department was - why are we all writing this stuff now?  Lessons for sure.

Great cars.  Personally I think a RHD conversion would be simple compared to sorting out a rotter - they really do know how to rot....

This!

Getting a really good, rot free car from a decent country but that is LHD then using a rotten RHD donor car to convert to RHD wouldn't be all that hard. The parts to do it could even be had from the banger boys.

I've got plans (wether or not I'll ever do it is another thing!) to go to Europe and get a mk1 2 door, they never sold in the UK. Bring it here and convert to RHD from a rotten donor car.

Fantastic how good the Ford PR department was - why are we all writing this stuff now? Lessons for sure.

Great cars. Personally I think a RHD conversion would be simple compared to sorting out a rotter - they really do know how to rot....

Sadly it won't be that easy unless you fancy a metric engine as well. Although I hear the 1.7 V4 is a ball of fire...

I believe one of the conditions of Ford supplying The Sweeney was that none of the villains could drive a Ford.

Also the crew were under strict orders not to damage the cars from Ford UK.

Watching the Sweeney the other day, the villains MK 2 jag was nobbled by a tatty triumph 2000. The consul GT was far enough behind not to get caught up in anything naughty.

This!

Getting a really good, rot free car from a decent country but that is LHD then using a rotten RHD donor car to convert to RHD wouldn't be all that hard. The parts to do it could even be had from the banger boys.

I think that is extremely difficult. Isn't the Granny one of the Pfoddz where the dashboard is actually part of the body, no?

If this is not the case (and I 'd like to stand corrected in this aspect), then yes, converting it would be a piece of piss.

I think that is extremely difficult. Isn't the Granny one of the Pfoddz where the dashboard is actually part of the body, no?

If this is not the case (and I 'd like to stand corrected in this aspect), then yes, converting it would be a piece of piss.

Not sure actually? I didn't think about that tbh! I suppose you could cut any RHD specific metalwork from the donor car and weld it into the good one. Is it really worth it though, when LHD isn't any big deal?

Are Granada's not as desirable on the continent as they are here? Everything seems so expensive over here.

LHD is no big deal at all, especially if you buy a car with the correct gearbox.  You don't want to be trying to shift gears with the wrong hand...  I've owned a load of LHD American cars over here, all automatics.  Doddle.  A LHD auto Granada will be just as easy. 

I believe one of the conditions of Ford supplying The Sweeney was that none of the villains could drive a Ford.

This is true one of the conditions from Ford was that the good guys always had to have a Ford so did any good looking women.

Ford were very accommodating to production companies and not only did they supply cars for filming but for the crew as well.  They also supplied non Ford cars when asked to do so (I’m guessing that means second hand things like the MKII Jags in the Sweeney etc).

Many productions throughout the 70’s/80’s/90’s use cars supplied by Ford.

British Leyland (or Austin I guess at the time) were difficult during the making of the 1969 film the Italian Job, they charged them for the Minis they used where as Fiat who went out of their way to help the production team offered them as many Fiat 500’s as they wanted for free but the film makers felt they had to use a British cars as the gang were British on foreign soil (a valid point).  Fiat supplied other cars and vehicles and gave them the use of their buildings ( the roof top scenes were on the roof of the Fiat factory).  Fiat were so nice and helpful to them that the end credits of the film thanked Fiat for all their help.

You're right JM, the metal dash panel is part of the shell.

The biggest obstacle you'll encounter attempting to convert a Mk1 from LHD to RHD is the bulkhead. It is much higher on the drivers side (to clear the steering column/pedal box) and much lower on the passenger side (to accommodate the heater box), a la Mk3 Cortinas.

If you're keen on "swapping sides" in a Granada, get a Mk2. The bulkheads are the same both sides and the pedal box/steering column mounting holes are marked out, ready to open up on the passenger side.

You're right JM, the metal dash panel is part of the shell.

The biggest obstacle you'll encounter attempting to convert a Mk1 from LHD to RHD is the bulkhead. It is much higher on the drivers side (to clear the steering column/pedal box) and much lower on the passenger side (to accommodate the heater box), a la Mk3 Cortinas.

If you're keen on "swapping sides" in a Granada, get a Mk2. The bulkheads are the same both sides and the pedal box/steering column mounting holes are marked out, ready to open up on the passenger side.

Probably not worth the hassle to convert then!

I never knew the mk1 bulkhead differed to the mk2 like that, I'd always thought the basic shell was pretty much the same. It's just the panels, trim and roofline that differ. The only way to convert over then would involve some serious metal surgery to swap the sides of the bulkhead over.

Car and classic have a 3.0 ghia. It's a project at £2999 but maybe worth a look as it needs putting back together.

I already spoke to the seller a few weeks ago and the car actually sold a few months ago but he hasn't removed the advert.

Probably not worth the hassle to convert then!

I never knew the mk1 bulkhead differed to the mk2 like that, I'd always thought the basic shell was pretty much the same. It's just the panels, trim and roofline that differ. The only way to convert over then would involve some serious metal surgery to swap the sides of the bulkhead over.

It would definitely be an involved job, not impossible but probably financially impractical.