SD1 Foolery - ROVER 2600 SE - now with FIXED head gasket

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72

Have you seen the Titted Lady Countess Von Posh 2000 on sale for 6.5 (yes, 6.5)?   Looks ace, and engine is so tiny you can sub let rest of engine bay to Albanian asylum seekers.     The 2000 version will apparently go up a hill so long as you get out and walk. 

If the cars as good as it looks then it's sometimes worth paying the premium.

I'm sure you know that every small job soon adds up to time and money than the extra purchase price.

After paying what some thought was silly money for my 40 year old daily I have seen great returns having only a service and exhaust in 18 months of trouble free fun motoring.

Guest Breadvan72

Dippy,  I agree big style.  Paying cheap money for classic cars can often be a big mistake, especially if , like me, you use them as dailies.    As I pay others to fix my cars, the cost of owning knackered ones is a big factor.  The rule of buy the very best one you can find is almost always right, at least for me.   I have broken the rule a bit with Lotuses on more than one occasion  (have owned six, of which three were iffy, three good), but whatevs.

If I get the blue car, I will then have one 31 year old sports car, one 40 year old sports saloon, one 39 year old off roader/ute, and one 32 year old luxo wafto barge.  That will be enough for now!   I will alternate which one to use on any given day, but aim to use them all a lot.    Regular weekday driving is mostly 8 country road miles to the railway and the same 8 miles back again.  Most Saturdays I drive 100 motorway miles to collect my daughter, the same 100 miles back again, and do the same on Sunday to drop her off.  

By the way, the entire fleet is not worth the price of a single good Interceptor, with even shitty Jensens now asking 15K plus, so I am out of that world, and never mind.  I could get one peachy Stag for the price of the four chodes.  With four, I have a chance (maybe only about  a 1% chance, but still a chance) that on any day at least one of them will not be broken

Guest Breadvan72

Mon cher M. Bolleaux, tu as un hangar plein d'hangars en France profonde;  alors pourquoi ne pas ajouter celui hangar la à ton remise?

2 litre cars (with manual box) go better than you think. You do have to use the gears though.

2300 not much quicker but a lot smoother - both cars with auto boxes are slower than 24 hours in custody.

2.3 granada is thrashy and will just about hit a ton.

To be honest BV, this car looks too good an opportunity to turn down, even at near the asking price.

Interceptor prices have risen dramatically, I would love one, however short of selling the house to pay for one it is'nt going to happen.

Shame to hear the Jensens gone and although I'm not sure I could part with mine but there is more fun to be had with the chod.

My chod is used daily and although used sympathetically is not wrapped in cotton wool and it's great just to jump in a car and go anywhere without worrying about mileage, wear and tear or idiots in car parks.

I have supplemented my daily Vauxhall with a nice wedge but unfortunately the wedge requires a fair bit of work before its roadworthy and it will all be a waste of time and money as opposed to buying the most expensive wedge in a sorted condition. But due to rarity and wanting a HLS auto with poo brown interior it was going to be impossible to find a minty.

Guest Breadvan72

The Fabboceptor went to help pay a tax bill, alas.  Even more annoyingly, about five minutes later, Jensen prices skyrocketed, after several years of being static.

Guest Breadvan72

NB: TL/DR WARNING. 

Exec Summary - Bloke buys some old car.  Goes on about it a bit.  Says it’s OK.

Scroll to end for piccies.

Anglo Saxon Poetry (in motion)

post-5528-0-58245300-1436893075_thumb.jpg

THE ROVER

Mæg ic be me sylfum

soðgied wrecan,

siþas secgan,

hu ic geswincdagum

earfoðhwile

oft þrowade,

bitre breostceare

gebiden hæbbe,

gecunnad in ceole

cearselda fela,

atol yþa gewealc,

þær mec oft bigeat

nearo nihtwaco

æt nacan stefnan...

Trans:

I can make a true song

about me myself,

tell my travels,

how I often endured

days of struggle,

troublesome times,

how I have suffered

grim sorrow at heart,

have known in the ship

many worries - abodes of care,

the terrible tossing of the waves,

where the anxious night watch

often took me

at the ship's prow…

-----------------------------------------------------

OK, it wasn’t that bad actually.  In fact, it was all pretty effortless.     As I was going off to buy a car in rural East Anglia, many miles from home, on a rainy day, and as the car in question was built thirty two years ago by British Leyland, I did what anyone would do and left my mobile phone at home, only noticing this when on the train.    Oh, great.  Sometimes you can take period detail too far.  

Anyway, off to Wymondham via King’s Cross and Cambridge, and there meet the seller, who rocks up in the Rover, and we go to his gaff, where his daughter’s 1960 Hilllman Minx (she is 23, and must be a cool chick), his classic caravans (including a 1983 one) and his RR Shadow are stashed.   Tyres kicked, deal done, insurance arranged, and off I go, with pez stop but no photo, sozzer.

There is basically NOWTY wrong with this car.  OK, the radio aerial doesn’t retract fully (cue 900 page OMG SOGA thread in Pistonheads).  Also, if you look closely, you can see that it was almost tea break time one day in early 1983 at Cowley, so the inside bottom of one door wasn’t done properly from the start.    The car is to be booked in to that place in Hatfield where they squirt rancid chipfat all over it, as the plan is to use it a fair bit.

The car was a demonstrator/director’s ride at a dealership in Grimsby (selling luxo Rovers in Grimsby in 1983?  Tough gig.)   Then it went to a local bloke, who sold it to his brother in a law in Norwich, where it lived, in a heated and carpeted garage, until 2011.  It was laid up in that garage from 2000 to 2011, then sold to a bloke in a village down the road from Norwich, who undertook what appears to have been a careful and thorough recommissioning, with much replageage of old bits, and then tooled about in it for a bit.  From that bloke I have purchased this fine barge of waft. 

I mean, FFS, the trip computer works, Goddammit! (Junkman, LOOK AWAY now).  Well, I think it works, unless 30 MPG is LIEZ.    All pretty much oridge, except for a Kenlowe instead of the dreaded (and deaded) viscous coupling fan.  As for the engine, well, people say that straight sixes designed by Triumph are smooth, and so they are, but this 2.6 Triumph-cum-Rover unit (nomming its choff via two SUs) takes smooth to a new level of smoooooooth.  Imagine the secret love child of Cary Grant, Perry Como, Errol Brown, Lionel Ritchie, and George Clooney attending the International Smooth Guy Conference to give a talk on smoothness and the art of the smooth.  That falls way short of how smooth the engine is.  Verdict: smooth.

The engine is not very revvy (redline at 5500), and it take a while to wind itself up, but once established in the cruise this is a lovely mile-nommer that might get you zapped by plod for doing 90 without noticing.   You hear a bit of wind whoosh, but hardly any engine or tyre noise while Chairman of the Boarding it along the motorway.  (That’s mid-size non-FTSE, keep the shareholders happy, hence not V8 Chairman of the Board).

The five speed manual gearbox was designed by Bloke Wot Designs Good Gearboxes, whoever he was.    The brakes are a lot better than the (admittedly worn and shaggered oot) ones on my 2001 Alfa 156.  The headlamps are mighty (although the car still has enough Lucas to still give that “lights dim a bit at low speed†effect beloved of all followers of the Satanic Cult).  The cabin feels classy but still a bit space age.  The seats are velevety cordtastic.  

The advert wasn’t wrong.  The car looks, smells, and feels like a 1983 SD1 might have looked, smelled and felt in about, say, 1986.    Crikey, I was in my second year at university when this jalopy was built, about three miles from the place where I wasn’t doing any work.  I used to drink in the Bullingdon Arms on Cowley Road, especially when my dad popped down from Longbridge in his company Princess to check on the Unipart exhaust subsidiary up the road (a factory that he ended up managing, after initially being sent there to troubleshoot).  My dad (who started as a navvy on the M1 and then went to the shop floor at Lucas, so, yes, the reason you can’t see out of your car at night really IS his fault) only likes working class pubs.  It is not impossible that the bloke who CBA to paint the door properly may have been the bloke playing darts while my dad and I drank our Guinness.

You may be getting the impression that I like this SD1.  Yes, I do.  I fookin love it.

Rainy photees: -

post-5528-0-85594400-1436872476_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-91432300-1436872523_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-91971000-1436872544_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-53249900-1436872558_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-33975400-1436872573_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-59132000-1436872589_thumb.jpg

That looks FECKIN GORGEOUS.  That is all.

No it's not - grump - at 30mpg we'll have to wait bloody ages for the petrol station shot.  You can get mid/upper 20s out of the V8 on a run, so it's probably about right too.

PS Bet they don't have Anglo-Saxon poetry on Pistonheads.

WOWSERS :shock: :shock:

That is the spitting image of Papa Vins final SD1. A 1985 2.6 Auto Van den plas...It did suffer OMG oil starvation and grenade itself on the M62. But, it was rebuilt and lived to fight (well tow a caravan...) another day...

Beautiful.

Also,

I can haz FBE 222Y...

post-47-0-67727900-1429365775.jpg

Adorned the back end of a Renault 20 (Linpac motors of Grimsby) as explained in this thread here...

http://autoshite.com/topic/20199-my-summer-with-a-renault-20/

BE...

1904-1974  Lindsey (Lincs)

1974-1980  Grimsby

1981-1996  Lincoln (Grimsby series)

1997-2001  Lincoln