SD1 Foolery - ROVER 2600 SE - now with FIXED head gasket

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72
  Just recalled what I said on a 75 thread last year.

I am totes sure that these jalopes are totes amazeballs, but I just think that they look like arse.  Me, I am well shallow, me, and like cars to be either pretty or goppingly ugly.   The 75 is just yeah OK so what in appearance, and also just yells giffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr at you all day long.  I am as partial to a good Werther's Original retrieved (unwrapped and hairy) from the underseat carpet as anyone, as who can fail to go noms at industrial strength chemical sugar laced with acrylic fake Axminster and trace elements of dogshit, but there are limits.  

Hey ho, my views have not really changed.

Volvo XC 70 Cross Country, 2002-2007, 2.5 pezzer, any views? 

Just recalled what I said on a 75 thread last year.

Hey ho, my views have not really changed.

Volvo XC 70 Cross Country, 2002-2007, 2.5 pezzer, any views? 

4wd? if so appears to multo spenny when kerlunkedd

also, do you have your form stamped for moving to scotlandshire? (you'll be fine- our laws are the same, but just drink more whisky first to comprehend)

Guest Breadvan72

OK, I have just discussed this with Mrs BV.  I showed her piccies of mid noughties Saab 9-5 and 9-3 Estates (all high spec go fast models, fully loaded, all about 4K to buy), then pictures of Volvo XC 70s, loaded up etc  (cheaper to buy, mostly with mega mileage, but bzzzzzzzzzt irrelevant, because Ovlov) .  Then, lastly, I showed her pictures of the thirty plus year old Rover SD1 2600.

Buy that one, she said.  

I have been with many wrong women in my life.  Since 2010, I've been with the right one!

I have just rung the seller, but he was rushing to a meeting.  Update later. 

post-5528-0-04307400-1436433417_thumb.jpg

The 2600 is better than the 2300 - the 2300 works hard for a living therefore they expire earlier than the 2600.

They do have issues with lubrication to the top end and can blow head gaskets ( so do V8's).

The crank runs in four bearings. The valve clearances are a PITA to do with the head on the engine.

To be honest it is 30 years next year that SD1 production ceased - any surviving six cylinder car should be ok by now.

They are smooth and quiet - just don't expect to be beating things from the lights.

Guest Breadvan72

I am not going to pay 6 grand.  I am going to haggle.  I will pay a chunk for a very well cared for car that has never seen a welder, but not that much!  I do not want a Vitesse, and too many of those have been arsed about with and/or thrashed senseless.  I don't want a V6 either.  I will pay attention to the oil and change it every 20 minutes.   I have a sports car and a sports saloon already.  This is for waftage on motorways, and taking my old mum to Glyndebourne and such like shiz.  

I think 4 grand would make it a nice purchase. The manual versions aren't that slow either. 
There was a silver 2600 for sale in dundee I think a few weeks ago on gumtree for 3000 with 37000 miles. You could use that as a bargaining tool

Negative points for auto and shite painted wheels mind you.

$_86.JPG

http://www.gumtree.com/p/rover/classic-rover-sd1-2600-vdp-auto/1121891972

One picture is a bit of a let down.

Sills and windscreen surround need to be solid. Sills, especially at the back, need to be checked.

Make sure there are no fish in the footwells.

Guest Breadvan72

I saw that one too.  It is gopping.  The one in Norwich sounds like it might be a moderate tad better.  Wish me luck in the haggling.

I've only just caught up with this thread because the X-Type bit in the title made me doze off.  How wrong I was.

Have you bought the Rover yet?  Get on with it man.  (But don't pay £6k.)

Also, you can now have all the spares I've bought from Rimmers in the last two years that turn out only to fit the series 2 cars, which is most of them, as long as you like brown carpet.

If she had any discernment, she would not have shacked up with me, but she is lovely.

Having met both of you I can confirm that all parts of this sentence are correct.

Guest Breadvan72

The front near side door on the SD1 looks fooked.

Bren, I am not going anywhere near that silver one.  It looks dodgy.  I am talking about a blue one that is advertised on Carandclassic at a rather, ahem, full price.

Is it the 2600 SE?

Extremely rare model - they were discontinued in 1984 and replaced with the vanden plas.

An old work colleague had a 3500 SE - a very early series 2 on an X plate. It had a strange corduroy material on the seats that I have never seen since.

It looks fab but is top dollar - if you needed to sell it would you get back what you paid? Good series 1 six cylinders can make reasonable money, series 2 cars have yet to catch up.

Check the towbar - a badly fitted one can cause mucho damage - they fit through the boot floor and rear panel and car pull out if not done properly.

Guest Breadvan72

Some stuff may or may not be occurring, but still too early to say.  

Note, BTW, red series 1 2600 for sale, but is autobox, is series 1, has been on sale a lot recently, is series 1, is miles away, is series 1, is not the one for me, and is series 1.

Series 1s look yay cool, but were mostly built by people without opposable thumbs, or so it can seem.   Series 2s a tad more dull and less groovatastically 70s in some ways, but have been known to work intermittently for twenty minutes or so, and are only very rusty instead of very, very rusty.   

Car has quite good numberplate  that resonates with me for reasons that may become clear in due course, so propose to use amazing negotiation skills and bid double asking price, natch.    More later .

Guest Breadvan72

Series one in Yorkshire ? Do not like series 2 alloys and mis matched interior.

Yup, but I have zero interest in buying that one.  I was just mentioning it as a comparator to the blue one.  As to the blue one, update to follow as soon as Der Junkenmeister gets his towels on the deckchairs in Greece (or, as we must now call it, "Southern Germany"), as that way he get will sand up his chuff while trying to read the screen in the harsh Littoral glare, and will have to spaff 900 million Drachmas on phone wifi billage to read the thread.  In other words, about 10p.