SD1 Foolery - ROVER 2600 SE - now with FIXED head gasket

Guest Breadvan72

I've had a number of X Types over the years. Diesel ones are OK (I had 3 of em). The 2.2D is the diesel model to have. Can't comment on the rust on those as they were all brand new.

Currently I have a 10 year old 2.5 AWD SE auto. Goes well, but likes a drink. Few wee pock marks of surface rust underneath, nothing major. Some idiot had bent the sill flanges by jacking it up in the wrong place, but even that damage hadn't rusted that much. Straightened out and sorted. Pretty well thought out, not horrific to work on. Parts are dirt cheap. Like REALLY cheap. Except wheels, for some reason.

I'd have to say, though that it's not as well screwed together as an S Type, but is better made than my current 2011 S350 Merc. (yes I bought another one, but it's on the way out shortly)

Guest Breadvan72

The SD1 is in Norwich.  I have to drop my daughter off at her mum's on Sunday.  That's in Holt, which is near ... Norwich.  Oh, bollocky bollocks.

If I come to my senses and do not get the SD1, I will probably buy a Saab estate  (a 9-3 V6 or a  9-5 2.3 turbo).  The Jag idea has died the death.    Ponced up Vectra instead of ponced up Mondeo.

BV - Im interested to know what the SD1 is like, it appears to have some patches on both rear arches. Not along ago you could buy a nice series 2 (six pot) car for £1500. I saw a 1986/C reg mint black 2600 VDP sell at Bromley a couple of years back for £1500. Surprise Surprise it was bought by a wannabe dealer who stuck it up for about Ã‚£4k the following week, IIRC he had it a very long time.

Regardless of price, that blue SD1 just looks so good, and so so right.

Guest Breadvan72

As for the SD1, it is indeed top wong, but I have always had a yen for the sixey ones.  As against a V8, you save approx a quid on year on pez, which has got to be better than a shag with Charlize Theron any day.  I would prefer the pre facelift alloys and steering wheel, but I like the absurdly over designed instrument panel of the later cars, which appears to have been penned by someone who copied it after watching Space 1999 while drunk on Double Diamond.  

You have trouble with your 90s Alfa?

Then you must replace it with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-LANCIA-THEMA-IE-2-0-8v-TWIN-CAM-12-MONTHS-MOT-RETRO-CLASSIC-BARGAIN-/291500870388

$_57.JPG

What could possibly be obviouser?

Why people never listen to me despite I'm always right is a phenomenon that will never cease to amaze me.

Besides, I had one of these and it was one of the most trouble free cars I ever had. I took it on a holiday to Poland and it didn't get nicked.

One of the funkiest details is, that you can lock the folding rear seats with a key. It also has a separate garage key, that only fits the ignition.

So should the worst happen, you can have it RACed to the garage despite you have two cut up dead bodies in the boot.

I had a Thema a few years back with the 16v turbo motor in it and it was gr23.4. I'd definitely have another. I reckon the 8v twink is probably a bit low on power for one though.

I'd also look at the 164 or Saab 9000. I'd probably go for the 9000 (because hatchback) but it'd need to have stiffer suspension.

$_57.JPG

You have trouble with your 90s Alfa?

Then you must replace it with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-LANCIA-THEMA-IE-2-0-8v-TWIN-CAM-12-MONTHS-MOT-RETRO-CLASSIC-BARGAIN-/291500870388

$_57.JPG

What could possibly be obviouser?

Why people never listen to me despite I'm always right is a phenomenon that will never cease to amaze me.

DOES NOT HAV POINTLESS FERARRI V8.

FAIL.

I was very happy with my 8v sucker. And that was in .de where people occasionally* exceed 37 OMGMPH, even with tot rods, as we saw recently.

It also delivers incredible OMGMPG for such a big car, which in conjunction with the huge tank means that on long distance journeys you have to fill it less frequently

than you have to stop for a piss. IIRC I could go 800+ km between refills.

Couple of bits to throw into the debate. Father 406V6 has an X-type - a 2007 2.5 V6 4wd. It's been fairly reliable except it blew its coil packs a few years back. If I'd known about it at the time I'd have recommended that he had them all replaced at the start but he didn't. He only replaced the one that blew and a few months later another of the old ones blew,then another. He's had them all done now.

Back in the day Father 406V6 had two SD1 2600s.  The first one rusted even faster than a 70s Alfa. The second one shat its engine and left him stranded after a big problem. It was a long time ago and I can't recall if it suffered OMGHGF which ended with the valves hitting the pistons or whether a valve broke and hammered the engine to bits. So on this subject I have to disagree with Autoshite hero Mr Bollox. You have praiseworthy patience and mechanical skill with old Rovers and I defer to your ability to fix up old cars but the Rover V8 pisses all over the Triumph-designed 2600 which is a total dog.

Guest Breadvan72

Oil ways - the 2600 had probs with those.  You have to change the oil every time you get back from the shops, apparently.  The one for sale above has had the head off and the oil ways poked at with a special stick, or summat, quite recently, or so I am told, but don't ask me how I know this. 

I had a 2600 and never had any problems (well not relating to that issue ). I'm not saying it's as robust as the v8 but it's okay with regular maintenance .

The story goes the 2600 was detuned as it made the v8 look a bit silly. That could be bollocks of course . Avoid the auto box with the 2600 though it's shite.